onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurfs shoes

geosname

Following a posters suggestion on a recent thread I have tried to put myself in smurfs position... can I blame him for some of the decisions he has made?

Sacking page?

If he wasnt the right man for the job [i dont think he was] NO

The way he did it? YES

Wanting to go in a different direction? NO

Employing Bruno? NO... it was a risk but cant fault taking a risk

Relying on the advice from "the gods"? POSSIBLY

Not taking advice? NO

Not listening to advice? YES

Not accepting either offer for the club? NO

Its a difficult one when you dont have the information.

Taking a back seat? NO

I would have done it sooner

Employing Brown as manager? DIFFICULT

I dont think he is the right man but I suspect budget restraints were a major factor in the decision

Replacing himself with TF? DEFINITELY

Bad decision whichever way you look at it

Engaging with the fans? NO

It had to be done

The way he did it? YES

It didnt have to be done

Making mistakes? NO

Ive made 1 or 2

Repeatedly making the same mistakes? YES

Digging a financial hole? NOT REALLY

Ive certainly done it

Expecting the fans to pull him out of it? YES

Why should they when he seems unprepared to say what he is going to do himself?

The list could go on and on and on... as Im sure it will:smile:

In short I dont blame him for some of the things he has done but I do blame him for the way he did them.

Im sure others will have a different opinion?

Advert

Following a posters suggestion on a recent thread I have tried to put myself in smurfs position... can I blame him for some of the decisions he has made?

Sacking page?

The way he did it? YES

Not taking advice? NO

Taking a back seat? NO

I dont think he is the right man but I suspect budget restraints were a major factor in the decision

It had to be done

The way he did it? YES

It didnt have to be done

Making mistakes? NO

Ive made 1 or 2

Ive certainly done it

In short I dont blame him for some of the things he has done but I do blame him for the way he did them.

Agree Geo, we all make our own mistakes along life's way, but it's how we manage repairing those mistakes that will determine how others see us - perceived or otherwise.

As I see it - and notwithstanding I would buy a football club even if I had the where-with-all financial to do so - Norman is digging an even bigger hole for himself - financially so.

Sacking page?

The way he did it? YES

Not taking advice? NO

Taking a back seat? NO

It had to be done

The way he did it? YES

It didnt have to be done

Making mistakes? NO

Ive made 1 or 2

Ive certainly done it

Strange but I agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Totally agree with the comments - now he needs to name his price and move on to his next adventure and tick owning a footy club off his bucket list. A lot of fans want to move on as quickly and quietly as possible and allow Brown to build his squad of players to get us out of this league. At the moment it is being hampered.

Please make that decision sooner than later, before the club spirals out of the league.

I have said this about him, he took a risk with Bruno and it did not pay off, but it might have done. We could all be talking about what an amazing season it was. You sometimes have to take risks and they might pay off. They didn't this time but they might the next.

We need to dust ourselves off and get behind the lads next season, if Smurf is still here then so be it. We can not keep starving owners out.

I have said this about him, he took a risk with Bruno and it did not pay off, but it might have done. We could all be talking about what an amazing season it was. You sometimes have to take risks and they might pay off. They didn't this time but they might the next.

We need to dust ourselves off and get behind the lads next season, if Smurf is still here then so be it. We can not keep starving owners out.

100% agree.

I can't agree about the risk he took with Bruno. It was a crazy thing to do based on the bloke's managerial record and to allow himself to be influenced by a phone call from one of his mates was naive in the extreme.

We all make mistakes but as has been said above, to keep making the same mistake is a bit silly.

Sacking page?

The way he did it? YES

Not taking advice? NO

Taking a back seat? NO

It had to be done

The way he did it? YES

It didnt have to be done

Making mistakes? NO

Ive made 1 or 2

Ive certainly done it

Absolutely agree, best post Ive seen on here in the last few weeks. We all need to take a breath reflect on what has happened and move forward in a way that is best for the club. As we are going both sides are heading for mutually assured destruction of the club.

Briefly.... Last season I spent £345 on a season ticket. Travelled from Newcastle to Burslem on a Saturday/Tuesday to watch the match, had some highs,lows and some in the middle.

We got relegated and I'm disapointed.

Smurthwaite spent a damn site more money, travelled a lot further and I have to say, if I was in his shoes I'd be a darn site more disapointed in the outcome than a lot of others.

I just hope that IF he stays (as is looking more likely) then we go into next season with more determination to ensure a drastic improvement is achieved.

If he stays, he needs to come out quickly and say if he will fund a good budget to get us out of this league. Also confirm if the money from players sold will be added to the budget.

Yes he admitted he made a mistake(s), but now is the time to show he is trying to make amends and correct the mistakes he made in the gamble, which could have worked.

Briefly.... Last season I spent £345 on a season ticket. Travelled from Newcastle to Burslem on a Saturday/Tuesday to watch the match, had some highs,lows and some in the middle.

We got relegated and I'm disapointed.

Smurthwaite spent a damn site more money, travelled a lot further and I have to say, if I was in his shoes I'd be a darn site more disapointed in the outcome than a lot of others.

I just hope that IF he stays (as is looking more likely) then we go into next season with more determination to ensure a drastic improvement is achieved.

I don't doubt he's disappointed - but he must have been off his head to do what he did with

a) taking on Bruno and

b) signing all that dross

However, he's never really expressed any regret over his handling of Rob Page's departure. It spoke volumes about the chairman's character and it was a really, really cheap trick. Some may feel karma came with relegation - unfortunately we're all victims of his karma if that's the case. Treating people right is ALWAYS the right way, but he seems to be almost sociopathic in his behaviour. I felt all along that he viewed mere fans an an annoying inconvenience, and don't get me started on his embarrassing "sweetie jar" nonsense.

If he's hurting, well join the club Norman. Four years ago we were on the up, with great occasions like Wolves and Coventry at home to look forward to. Now I can't bring myself to look at the Fourth Division clubs we'll be playing, because I know I'll be feeling so sad if I do.

There is nothing wrong with taking risks as such but there has to be due diligence beforehand, there has to be attempts to mitigate that risk, you have to quantify the risk, there has to be contingency and so on.

When you take a risk you have to think "what if it goes wrong, what will be the damage done, can the situation be recovered, is the potential gain worth the risk"

Can NS honestly say he asked and answered all those questions honestly or was he seduced by pound signs and his own ego?

Archived