onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ex-Chairman's Statement

valeparklife

So Smurthwaite is just going to let the club fund itself with no input from himself,so if the club fails and goes into admin he will lose whatever he reckons he has put in.

Therefore why not take a considered decision and sell to for a sensible offer, yes he may lose some money but doing it his way he could lose the lot.

Thing is with Smurthwaite it is his way or no way. Common sense and logic don't apply. He doesn't listen to others, it will be HIS way. He threatened to cut funding before and let the club survive on matchday revenue, having sensed that he can't win the fans back over he's decided to do just that.

Advert

We can run the club successfully at League Two without financial input if we are shrewd. Even if we only average 4000 fans we will still have more fans than most clubs at this level.

It doesn't really give much of an insight in the statement so if Garlick is the new leader at the helm we now really need to hear from him and hear the plan going forward as it stands.

He won't fund the club cos this can only be achieved via more loans which will in turn push the price up..a price he knows he won't get. All this supposedly 'ploughing' money is now coming home to roost...not just for him but for the fans too.

As to renting the ground from him, given (I assume) we don't currently pay rent and the club relies on his loans to survive where would the money come from to pay this rent? We could not afford to rent elsewhere is we can't afford to be at a free vale park surely? He could use it as leverage of some sort but to what end? My fear is that if he was able to force the club out of business then he would be able to sell the stadium/land...that he'd be able to challenge the covenant if there was no club using the stadium.

Don't blame him for stepping down and I don't blame him for not putting anymore money into the club the fan's have given him that much abuse over the month's he's done what the fan's wanted and stepped down so it's up to them now.

One of the most ludicrous things I've ever read.

He hasn't done what the fans wanted. He's selling us, putting no investment in in the meantime, and renting the ground back.

How in the **** is up to the fans now? He's mugged us off, has fled the scene, recouping all his money, and somehow the fans have got to sort out the mess.

Come on pal.

"One thing I didn't like was the statement: "Under normal circumstances that’s how I would be thinking today wanting to roll my sleeves up, plan and fund our way back to League 1 next season. Sadly, due the environment of the last few months, I do not feel that is now possible."

This, to me, is one last dig at the fans. Not needed."

He is right though. People have been very critical of him and most want him out. Most have got what they want.

How? he is still here, just hiding

We can run the club successfully at League Two without financial input if we are shrewd. Even if we only average 4000 fans we will still have more fans than most clubs at this level.

It doesn't really give much of an insight in the statement so if Garlick is the new leader at the helm we now really need to hear from him and hear the plan going forward as it stands.

How can we possibly be shrewd with Smurthwaite in control behind the scenes and having his say on how to do things? Assuming no sale is imminent, the best we can hope for now is that Smurthwaite really does disappear and allow Garlick to run the club and that Garlick turns out to be a canny CEO/chairman/leader.

What he tells us seems reasonable, but we need to analyse what he has not said. He has made no comment about the debts the club is saddled with as a direct result of his incompetence. The value of the Director's loans will kill this club if the we has to find a way of paying them from the revenue stream. He needs to clearly articulate what are his plans in respect of ownership/renting of the ground and the future of the Director loans. Of course he will not do this.

Colin Garlick needs to get a statement out pretty quickly to allay concerns around this crippling issue.

The former Chairman makes no comment around continuing governance of the club, it is wholly inappropriate to leave everything to an unregulated Chief Exec who so far has been largely invisible with his public face. What level of autonomy does Mr Garlick have? What is our income stream and cash flow situation for the next few months? How advanced are negotiations to sell? What about our overdraft facility?

Who will be the team Manager? Who/how/when will he be appointed?

To be frank this adds no light onto our dark situation. It adds no heat to our arctic like environment and it adds no sense to our ongoing bewilderment at the actions of this man.

The fine words were probably drafted by someone else, but they go no further than seek to present him as a man of honour.

If he had any respect for us he would add some clarification around these essential issues.

I accept that there may be another announcement very soon which may add light, heat and reason.

Let us hope so.

Either on the scrap heap or TUPE'd over and back to CEO or another role.

TUPE relates only to public services, and while Vale seems to have been run like a charity - at least in terms of the number of points we gave away - I don't think it applies.

Archived