onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

45 years ago today

Jacko51

Advert

Eddie's first game was in 1950 shortly after Vale Park opened. He can't remember anything about it as he was only five. His Dad reckoned he played in a pile of sand all game that the buildets had left. Probably the most entertainment he's ever had there!

Eddie's first game was in 1950 shortly after Vale Park opened. He can't remember anything about it as he was only five. His Dad reckoned he played in a pile of sand all game that the buildets had left. Probably the most entertainment he's ever had there!

I know I was 3 when I went to my first home game in 1968. I haven't a clue who it was against but i can remember my early games included me playing football with empty drinks containers at the bottom of the Lorne Street terrace!

Apart from not seeing the great 53-54 team, my other regret was not watching the 58-59 team either. We were in the newly created Fourth Division but went up as Champions, scoring 110 goals in the process.

Palace and Watford and Southport and Barrow were all there with us.

We had five players who each scored 15 goals or more! Amazing.

(If I remember correctly, you couldn't see the game if you were a little lad in Lorne Street, at the bottom of the steps. The white wall was very high and it was impossible to see anything.)

Apart from not seeing the great 53-54 team, my other regret was not watching the 58-59 team either. We were in the newly created Fourth Division but went up as Champions, scoring 110 goals in the process.

Palace and Watford and Southport and Barrow were all there with us.

We had five players who each scored 15 goals or more! Amazing.

(If I remember correctly, you couldn't see the game if you were a little lad in Lorne Street, at the bottom of the steps. The white wall was very high and it was impossible to see anything.)

Sage yes I remember that white wall. Very intimating to a little lad.

We are a similar age I was not born to see our 1954 Cup heroes but I did see that team play live, perhaps you may have done but you forgot. In 1964 Roy Sproson and Selwyn Whalley had a joint testimonial and in the first half Vale 1964 played against Vale 1954 with Freddie Steele refereeing. Vale 1964 won that half 2-0, with Sproson playing for his 54 team. Does that ring any bells to anyone?

I too am one of the 30,000 who were at the opening game in 1950.

Because of the large crowd I apparently as a 5 year old spent most of the game on my fathers shoulders. I have no memories of the match but the seeds for future attendance were sown.

As like many, I had a Saturday job and missed many matches until the 1958/9 season when I became a regular on the Hamil end. This was a great season for Vale fans. Although in the newly formed 4th Division the team was full of goals - as already mentioned 110 in total

Coventry were our main contenders for the title - I well remember going to Coventry away at the old Highfield Road ground. We lost 1-0 and our football special didn't get back until after midnight having been delayed on the return journey.I have a copy of 58/59 team that won the league which I have inserted below. I can name the players can you? All the posts have made for an interesting read and its been nice to bring back many memories - it does indeed seem like only yesterday.. .

img009.jpg

I too am one of the 30,000 who were at the opening game in 1950.

Because of the large crowd I apparently as a 5 year old spent most of the game on my fathers shoulders. I have no memories of the match but the seeds for future attendance were sown.

As like many, I had a Saturday job and missed many matches until the 1958/9 season when I became a regular on the Hamil end. This was a great season for Vale fans. Although in the newly formed 4th Division the team was full of goals - as already mentioned 110 in total

Coventry were our main contenders for the title - I well remember going to Coventry away at the old Highfield Road ground. We lost 1-0 and our football special didn't get back until after midnight having been delayed on the return journey.I have a copy of 58/59 team that won the league which I have inserted below. I can name the players can you? All the posts have made for an interesting read and its been nice to bring back many memories - it does indeed seem like only yesterday.. .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161[/ATTACH]

Only a couple I could not name, not much is said about Norman Low but we played great football in his time. We went on a Loop Line special from Hanley, with double deckers from Cov station. Crowd of 28,000 that night, not bad for the 4th Div.

http://www.gillinghamfcscrapbook.co.uk/1958-59.html

Click on the reports of the games v the Vale.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/475/20254004842_70b1b32ad7_h.jpg

My memory doesn't recall my seeing that testimonial though I'm sure that I did see it, as I hardly ever missed a game then.

That 58-59 team I see had Leake in it but now playing centre half presumably and not in attack where he made his name in the mid-fifties. Good player was Albert.

19th November 1966 Newport Co.... stood beside the tunnel, Bycars side.... .

Just to be fair my dad took me to a Sjoke game not long after. He really went to see Cardiff (and John Toshack) ... stood on the Boothen End....no contest, always gonna be the Vale. Think it was the smell of linament from the tunnel that did it.

Always looking forward to the next game, even when I was 3500 miles away..... next one's a biggie!!

Here are the teams from the programme. The only change from those listed was Sammy Morgan instead of Tommy Mac.

Notts%20County_zpswhomqljw.jpg

Looks a good side that. My first was 4-4 vs Villa 1971. It's a bit like losing your virginity. Never forget the date, or result.

http://www.gillinghamfcscrapbook.co.uk/1958-59.html

Click on the reports of the games v the Vale.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/475/20254004842_70b1b32ad7_h.jpg

My memory doesn't recall my seeing that testimonial though I'm sure that I did see it, as I hardly ever missed a game then.

That 58-59 team I see had Leake in it but now playing centre half presumably and not in attack where he made his name in the mid-fifties. Good player was Albert.

Albert had slowed down a bit by then, played at wing-half as well. I think the scorer was Barnett not Barrett, simple typo.

Archived