onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite British Sitcoms

Martino Knockavelli

Advert

Top 5 for me are:

1, Royle Family - don't u mean Smurf family - which is your favourite member ?

2, Steptoe and son - or Smurftoe and daughter, where a rag and bone man goes round buying discarded rubbish from lower European leagues and tries to pass it off as quality. Also features a knacked old carthorse that can barely move, signed for £8000 by the old man.

3, Bottom = Smurf's aim for Vale's position this season by appointing Bruno. I suppose 21st will have to do, close enough. Can also refer to the orifice that drunken Twitter tweets come from telling fans to go and play on the motorway.

4, Benidorm - Reflecting all the class of the elite club chairman sipping Martinis with sky blue decked fans at the Solana pool.

5, Peep Show - A short look at a forward who actually scored a few goals before he was allowed to sign for Bradford, and a goalkeeper who didn't spill everything before he was let go to Rangers. Unlikely to get a second series on Channel league two.

Yours?

There you are my little Martini Knockoff.

Top 5 for me are:

1, Royle Family

2, Steptoe and son

3, Bottom

4, Benidorm

5, Peep Show

Yours?

Out of those I'd only watch Steptoe

Mine in no particular order would be;

Fawlty Towers

Yes Minister/Prime Minister (original versions)

The Office

Young Ones

Black Adder Goes Forth

Peep show is easily my favourite, can't get enough of Mitchell & Webb in whatever they do, but PS is by far their best stuff for me.

Not big on things like Blackadder etc but I was brought up watching quite a few, so behind Peep Show, off the top of my head:

- Only Fools & Horses (can't believe it hasn't been mentioned)

- The Royle Family

- The Thick of It

- The Office

Could be honourable mentions for quite a lot as there's been loads of good ones, to randomly name a few; Bottom, Dad's Army, Red Dwarf, The Vicar of Dibley, The Thin Blue Line, even Plebs as a recent one (essentially The Inbetweeners set in Ancient Rome), but the majority of new ones I really can't stand (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda etc are real garbage to me).

Peep show is easily my favourite, can't get enough of Mitchell & Webb in whatever they do, but PS is by far their best stuff for me.

Not big on things like Blackadder etc but I was brought up watching quite a few, so behind Peep Show, off the top of my head:

- Only Fools & Horses (can't believe it hasn't been mentioned)

- The Royle Family

- The Thick of It

- The Office

Could be honourable mentions for quite a lot as there's been loads of good ones, to randomly name a few; Bottom, Dad's Army, Red Dwarf, The Vicar of Dibley, The Thin Blue Line, even Plebs as a recent one (essentially The Inbetweeners set in Ancient Rome), but the majority of new ones I really can't stand (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda etc are real garbage to me).

Good call re "The Thick Of It". Not sure if it counts as a sitcom but I'd put "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" up there as well

I find all the newish stuff just too crude or chldish....getting old I guess

Dads Army EASILY NUMBER ONE.

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

Men Behaving Badly

Royle Family

Best three lines

Don't tell him Pike

What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels

Wibble

The Pike line is such a classic.

Good call re "The Thick Of It". Not sure if it counts as a sitcom but I'd put "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" up there as well

I find all the newish stuff just too crude or chldish....getting old I guess

Yeah it's not a classic sitcom, but I think I can just about get away with throwing it in there, although like I say, got loads of others I could put up there.

Agreed about newer ones, like the 2 I mentioned in particular, I just find horribly unfunny. There's a few odd ones (like Plebs) I can watch & still enjoy, but nowadays I don't watch a lot of comedy really (aside from things like Mock The Week/HIGNFY).

Bit off-topic but got so many different series that I'm watching, & a load in my backlog to actually start/catch up on. Got the other half into Sherlock so I'm re-watching that with her at the moment, as I need to watch S4 yet. Then got things like Broadchurch & Line of Duty to catch up on (prefer binge watching instead of 1 episode a week). Much prefer drama to comedy, anything to do with crime/police is a winner for me.

Get enough comedy at the weekends anyway...

Anything featuring Alan Partridge or written by/ starring Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith. Detectorists was brilliant; series 3 on the way too, apparently.

Still really love The Likely Lads.

Used to ******* adore Peep Show but went off it a bit, especially during the pretty dismal penultimate series, and was actually glad when they put it out of it's misery.

Best thing I've seen in years was This Country, which is still on the BBC iPlayer.

Archived