onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Marine: Murder changed to Manslaughter

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

I was amazed to find out today that ISIS don't recognise the Geneva Convention, who would have thought that ?

Is that the same isis who throw gays off of the roof? who behead people for fun? who kidnap, sell, rape women? who capture soldiers and broadcast themselves burning him alive?

Possibly the only sensibly motivated post on the entire thread, really pleased to see someone realising that most of the posts are people with 100 per cent fixed views one way or another, or who just love the argument,

Not worth wasting time on, as most people are too narrow minded to ask themselves the right questions like why the Taliban exists, who funded it and where it came from, and what our brave but manipulated armed forces are/were doing in that country anyway.

Start a new thread then, we're discussing Sgt Blackman's downgraded conviction in here.

There are only 2 people who I was referring to as 'loving an argement' and both they and many posters know who they are. One would pick a fight with a nun.

As for the rest, you rather defeat your own argument, by suggesting that you respect opinions, but when I post mine you clearly show you do not. I think it's called a paradox - and by the way, I have no wish to argue with you on it.

My initial post was to agree with Tomo's sentiment in his post if you go back and have another read. I rather feel on this subject that some (not you, or all) - some, are not the least bit interested in the soldier, the Taliban man or the case but in their own posts, just my opinion if that's ok with you.:smile:

But bea, in your post you suggested one particular post was the only sensible one made in the whole thread. So that includes mine. I have strong beliefs and respect for our armed forces whom get sent into battles that frankly have nothing to do with us. They put their life's on the line for that.

I welcome others views and yours too. If you can suggest to me that my views are wrong I would welcome a constructive discussion.

No hard feelings owd ! 👍 Up the vale

So it's ok to just shoot prisoners of war? Why then were Japanese and German soldiers tried and executed for the same acts after WW2?

Japanese and German soldiers came under the Geneva convention, usual engagements of war were observed or should I say in the Japanese case loosely observed.

I get the feeling Isis aren't particularly committed to the convention, so one down is an unfortunate casualty of a very dirty war.

So it's ok to just shoot prisoners of war? Why then were Japanese and German soldiers tried and executed for the same acts after WW2?

Sorry, they aren't prisoners of war they are terrorists with no morals and no respect to law, order and the Geneva convention!

So yes, I for one am happy he got rid of someone whom could in future of blown up my kids, family or innocent person going about their daily lives !

Japanese and German soldiers came under the Geneva convention, usual engagements of war were observed or should I say in the Japanese case loosely observed.

I get the feeling Isis aren't particularly committed to the convention, so one down is an unfortunate casualty of a very dirty war.

The Axis powers treated prisoners and conquered populations abysmally and didn't even pretend to adhere to any conventions, Geneva or otherwise. After their defeat the Allies took the moral high ground by seeking retribution for the crimes of individuals and demonstrating those actions to be crimes. Therefore, if we allow our forces to behave in the same manner we're showing that we're no better than they were.

They had very little respect for the lives of those on Westminster Bridge, and those people never harmed anyone. Don't tell me if that ******* had the roles reversed that he wouldn't have killed the marine. In a heartbeat he would.

Just because your enemy is brutal does it mean you have to act in the same manner?

It's ok to have that attitude as long as you accept any captured personnel from our side will suffer the same fate, or worse, without our complaining about it as it's just what happens in war.

Personally I like to think we're more civilised than the Taliban or ISIS / Dai'esh.

Sorry, they aren't prisoners of war they are terrorists with no morals and no respect to law, order and the Geneva convention!

So yes, I for one am happy he got rid of someone whom could in future of blown up my kids, family or innocent person going about their daily lives !

I am as opposed to the Taliban and ISIS / Dai'esh as anyone which is why I don't think we should behave like them.

I have some sympathy for Sgt. Blackman's predicament as his situation must have been very stressful but that doesn't excuse him from executing an already captured and defeated enemy prisoner - and he was a prisoner of war, "terrorist" or not. As far as the Taliban are concerned our troops invading and occupying their country are "terrorists", the use of such a term depends on your perspective and which group of belligerents you identify with.

I am as opposed to the Taliban and ISIS / Dai'esh as anyone which is why I don't think we should behave like them.

I have some sympathy for Sgt. Blackman's predicament as his situation must have been very stressful but that doesn't excuse him from executing an already captured and defeated enemy prisoner - and he was a prisoner of war, "terrorist" or not. As far as the Taliban are concerned our troops invading and occupying their country are "terrorists", the use of such a term depends on your perspective and which group of belligerents you identify with.

I would classify terrorism as actions against civilians or non-combatants, actions against a guerrilla army being a military operation.

Archived