onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Marine: Murder changed to Manslaughter

mr.hobblesworth

I just don’t get this. How can there be rules in War?

Personally, whilst I don’t condone any killings, these guys are sent to war by our government, mainly in areas of the world that have nothing to do with us. Most of the news we hear about these wars is for political gain. How can we expect young men to put their life on the line, but still follow rules?

Frankly, if somebody had spent hours trying to kill you, how would you feel once you got hold of them? Like I say, I am not condoning what he did, but until any of you experience that situation I think it’s unfair to comment.

For me, our armed forces have total respect and personally I think it’s an outrage that this man even spent time in prison.

The people whom should spend time in prison are individuals like Blair, whom sent our men into life threating situations, some never returning home. And for what, nothing more than political gain!

Oh, and what did we really achieve by sending our men off to their deaths in Afghanistan?

This country is full of do gooders, and that’s the reason it’s such a mess!

Sorry, but in a war zone....all emermies are 'immediate threats', watch below...it sort of sums this up in my view.

Rules of engagement

Advert

I just find it interesting there was no mention of it at the first trial. Did he not realise he was mentally ill? Did he feel fine until 3 years down the line he realised he wasn't all right?

I don't know.

-Why would you admit to unlawfully killing someone with a partial defence such as diminished responsibility when you are pleading not guilty?

-His mental capacity was reduced due to the stresses of war

-Maybe his representation didn't do their job and so he didn't get a fair trial

-Maybe he has been failed by the state

Personally I would carpet bomb men women and children in these areas without an after thought if it meant my little boy never had to go to these areas and risk being blown up, dismembered and his body parts hung from a tree. Thank god they dont have the capability because ISIS and the taliban would happily kill everyone of us without regret

If u look bak in history WW2 for example the Americans were faced with an enemy who were happy to fight to the death and the conclusion was to nuke em to wipe out any resistance and win the wAr. If we no where these terrorists are holed up that may be the ultimate solution now imho

its a matter of taking out your enemy before he takes you out...although its never been officially recognised but both in the first and second world wars some pilots did shoot enemy pilots who had baled out as they were a more valued target than the plane, this happened in all airforce's... If you kill your enemy you won't have to face him tomorrow. You do what you have to do- to win... All this rules of engagement is b*lls you can't fire till your shot at? hopeing he is a bad shot or you wont get a chance to fire...

Do you not think that some self-reflection or discussion is necessary when a member of our armed forces murders an unarmed and injured soldier in in the field, fully aware, it seems from his comments, of the crime he is committing (and laughing about it)?

Who knows the horrors of war, how it plays tricks with the mind. The Taliban and Isis daesh or whatever they are called, openly post videos of beheading innocent civilians.

I am sure not condoning the actions of Marine A as he has been called, but to call the guy a murderer whilst having probably seen a few mates blown to bits is a disgrace.

If we were fighting civilised nations also adhering to the GC then fair enough, when you are fighting terrorists who are quite happy to cut your head off on video and drag your corpse down the street, please forgive me for a lack of compassion to towards you.

It's nothing to do with whether you feel compassion or not..you can hate the little ****** and want to rip his head off but the 'rules' say you mustn't so you shouldn't..you follow the rules not because you feel compassion but cos they is the rules you signed up to.

With respect JA, how would we know about a Taliban fighter doing that? Our big brother system requires army units to wear go-pro's now....

It's the principle that matters

The other guy was a terrorist. Simple. I dont see our army trying to kill people in our country? Talk about being argumentative for the sake of it.

You miss the entire point...

If your mantra is "what happens on the battlefield stays on the battlefield" then that has to apply to both sides. So you are clearly Ok with someone who tortures and kills a British soldier on the battlefield going unpunished. or do you mean "what happens on the battlefield stays on the battlefield" as long as it's one of theirs that's been killed by one of ours???

Totally agree G4E. Jonny the example you have given is exactly what the taliban were doing day in day out to captured soldiers they answer to no one. Are any taliban fighters going to be brought before a war crimes committee for breaches of the GC?

Doubt it..have they signed up to it? We have.

The point is if we capture a member of the Taliban that has been doing such things and prove that he was doing it clearly we should not punish him cos "what happens on the battlefield stays on the battlefield".

And one was in the heat of a bloody battle in a war-torn country!

Don't disagree with you at all, just stating the difference. Have no interest in getting involved with something like this to be honest, almost impossible to change anyone's opinion on the subject, & it was obviously written just to prod those with the opposite viewpoint (even almost pointing it out in the original post). Just felt like answering the question as I thought it was fairly obvious.

Don't disagree with you at all, just stating the difference. Have no interest in getting involved with something like this to be honest, almost impossible to change anyone's opinion on the subject, & it was obviously written just to prod those with the opposite viewpoint (even almost pointing it out in the original post). Just felt like answering the question as I thought it was fairly obvious.

Possibly the only sensibly motivated post on the entire thread, really pleased to see someone realising that most of the posts are people with 100 per cent fixed views one way or another, or who just love the argument,

Not worth wasting time on, as most people are too narrow minded to ask themselves the right questions like why the Taliban exists, who funded it and where it came from, and what our brave but manipulated armed forces are/were doing in that country anyway.

Possibly the only sensibly motivated post on the entire thread, really pleased to see someone realising that most of the posts are people with 100 per cent fixed views one way or another, or who just love the argument,

Not worth wasting time on, as most people are too narrow minded to ask themselves the right questions like why the Taliban exists, who funded it and where it came from, and what our brave but manipulated armed forces are/were doing in that country anyway.

Off topic.

Archived