onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wouldn't it be nice..

Bea Smith

To see a few more posts about the thriling and exciting game at Vale Park last night, the fact that Vale are top scorers in the entire football league, the midfielders all scoring for fun unlike last season, the club programme winning an award, Tom Pope making a great contribution to the strike force and a few other similar things.

That match last night was one of the best at VP for a long time, and even when we have lost - especially at AFC Wimbledon - there has been a lot of enetertainment and talking points.

Don't forget the football !

Edit - I also think MA deserves a lot of credit for not moaning constantly about injuries as a lot of managers would have.

Bang on the money, top post my friend! :D:D

Advert

The big problem is there aren't many who think like you.

Vale park was like a morgue last night. Sad to see.

Supporters have had any excitement or potential excitement drained out of them during this last 9 months.

We have one hell of a task in getting back to the unity everyone had 12 months ago.

Sadly very true, but MA and his squad are producing great football and doing their bit. And just because there were things people didnt like in the past from those who run the club, doesnt mean that no credit should be given for things like the £15 initiative last night and this deal if all turns out well.

Vale Park is always lacking atmosphere - it can be a curse to play there at times compared to tight little grounds where 4,500 to 5,000 fills the place and the noise and occasion are great. I think this is partly why a lot of fans enjoy going to away games more than home games.

But Adams is getting there, and if we can win again against Shrewsbury there will be a lot of other clubs sitting up and taking notice, let's just hope all our fans do too.

I'd like to see some player ratings from people who went to the game. Always appreciated by us exiles (well me anyway). Funny how we've gone from a team who can't score but with a mean defence to a team that score for fun with a leaky defence in the space of one year (with largely the same personel and manager).

JUST FOR YOU MY TAKE;

Martin - 5 (two excellent shot stopper saves but his kicking, command of the penalty area & defence was poor)

Yates - 4 (given the right old run around by Kyel Reid, needs to stop going backwards constantly with throw-ins and most importantly to stop easy and unchallenged crosses in to danger areas)

McCombe - 6 (ok)

Owen - 6 (ok, slightly more commanding than McCombe)

Green - 6 (some decent stuff at times but either seems to panic or be very, very lax in pressure situations)

Little - 5 (**** poor in the first half, much better in the second until being subbed, went on one cracking run which eventually lead to him going down far, far too late under challenge)

Robbo - 6 (below average but still better than a number that have slated him on here stated)

Griff - 6 (for him very average)

Taylor - 8 (one belter, one fluke in terms of goals. Some decent runs but seems to be where he was two years ago in terms of learning when to run with the ball and when to pass, faded in the 2nd half)

Pope - 8 (remembering that I am one of his biggest critics I would say he did very well against two battle hardened centre-halves particularly Oliver who he was matched against most of the game. Should have done far better with a headed chance in the first half but headed in a gem in injury time to win it - finally a proper end product, here is to the first of many)

Williamson - 8 (scared the **** out of the them in the first half and should have done better with a couple of crosses and a shot that hit the side netting early on. He runs for England and challenges for everything and outwitted Branston on a number of occasions - probably edged MOM for me)

SUBS

Loft - 8 (diamond in the time he was on, steadied the midfield as we were being battered when he came on but far, far more effective in central midfield and for me at the moment if we are playing 4-4-2 it should be Loft + 1 other. Hell of a delivery for Pope's winner which set it on a plate)

Dodds - 6 (no real impact but helped steady the midfield when he came on)

Morsy - 6 (too little time to have much of an effect, I wonder about trying him at right back as he rarely gives the ball away and closes down the opposition very, very quickly)

FINALLY

Micky Adams, cracking substitutions which changed the game when Bradford were battering us, all hail! :wub:

My Ratings for last night, and after seeing the goals earlier:

Martin-5- Some good saves, nothing he could do about there 1st, needs to command his area. Poor positioning for their 2nd I prefer him to Tommo atm and I think a run in the 1st team would do him some good.

Green-4- First time I saw him play against a league team last night and he looked unsure and shaky. Much better going forward, yet lacks ideas when it comes to the final ball. When Roe is fit to start I would like to see him given a chance

Gaz-6-Solid if unspectacular, some mistakes, some great last ditch tackles to make up for it

Boom-6-See Gaz

Yates-4- Had the harder job with Reid (who is much too good for league 2), still seems a shadow of what he was previously under Adams.

Taylor-8-Corker of a first, I was going mad at him for turning his back on the ball before he hit the 2nd. Confused their defensive by running between the full back and center back, however the clicked in the 2nd half and he became less effective.

Griff-6-Not to his usual high standard, yet did his job and played a nice ball or two further up the pitch.

Roberts-6-Quiet, didn't really notice to be perfectly honest

Little-6-I like him, yet I think he suffers from a similar thing to Dodds of not knowing/playing his best position. I think he is more a central midfielder then a winger, or maybe a second striker, playing of a big man. Yet with have a lot of players for both positions. Played some nice through balls, and wasn't scared to run at people, yet also surrendered position easily.

Williamson-8-So much raw talent and potential there. He was fast, stronger enough to hold of the likes of Branson and Oliver, just needs a goal, then I think he could go on a bit of a scoring streak.

Pope-9-*MOTM* Just an exceptional target man performance. Held the ball up well, made space for others, cracking header for the third, if he had scored that header in the first half he'd have a 10

Dodds-6-Ineffective,made the wrong choice a few times, yet was an outlet for us.

Loft-7-Great cross for the third, got involved despite just coming back from an injury, Mickey has a hard choice wether to start him or Roberts against the shrews.

Morsy-6- Not enough time to make an impact on the game but he impressed me. He has a good touch, good energy and looks to make forward runs, one for the future.

My Ratings for last night, and after seeing the goals earlier:

Martin-5- Some good saves, nothing he could do about there 1st, needs to command his area. Poor positioning for their 2nd I prefer him to Tommo atm and I think a run in the 1st team would do him some good.

Green-4- First time I saw him play against a league team last night and he looked unsure and shaky. Much better going forward, yet lacks ideas when it comes to the final ball. When Roe is fit to start I would like to see him given a chance

Gaz-6-Solid if unspectacular, some mistakes, some great last ditch tackles to make up for it

Boom-6-See Gaz

Yates-4- Had the harder job with Reid (who is much too good for league 2), still seems a shadow of what he was previously under Adams.

Taylor-8-Corker of a first, I was going mad at him for turning his back on the ball before he hit the 2nd. Confused their defensive by running between the full back and center back, however the clicked in the 2nd half and he became less effective.

Griff-6-Not to his usual high standard, yet did his job and played a nice ball or two further up the pitch.

Roberts-6-Quiet, didn't really notice to be perfectly honest

Little-6-I like him, yet I think he suffers from a similar thing to Dodds of not knowing/playing his best position. I think he is more a central midfielder then a winger, or maybe a second striker, playing of a big man. Yet with have a lot of players for both positions. Played some nice through balls, and wasn't scared to run at people, yet also surrendered position easily.

Williamson-8-So much raw talent and potential there. He was fast, stronger enough to hold of the likes of Branson and Oliver, just needs a goal, then I think he could go on a bit of a scoring streak.

Pope-9-*MOTM* Just an exceptional target man performance. Held the ball up well, made space for others, cracking header for the third, if he had scored that header in the first half he'd have a 10

Dodds-6-Ineffective,made the wrong choice a few times, yet was an outlet for us.

Loft-7-Great cross for the third, got involved despite just coming back from an injury, Mickey has a hard choice wether to start him or Roberts against the shrews.

Morsy-6- Not enough time to make an impact on the game but he impressed me. He has a good touch, good energy and looks to make forward runs, one for the future.

Seeing as when we signed him he was described as a striker/rightback it's not all that surprising that he doesn't look completely at home playing in midfield. I think he's done ok in his 2 gamesso far.

Seeing as when we signed him he was described as a striker/rightback it's not all that surprising that he doesn't look completely at home playing in midfield. I think he's done ok in his 2 gamesso far.

Agreed , was surprised he wasn't played there last night with dodds on the right and Williamson on the bench, but this is why Adam's is paid to pick the side and I watch from the stand

I think our main problem was actually midfield last night and not defence. The first goal was conceded when Little (I think) didn't get a tackle in on the scorer. The scorer of the second had far too much time on the ball in midfield.

Martin 7. Some good saves although I still have my heart in my mouth when ever a shot goes towards him.

Yates. 6 Reid gave him a torrid time.

Green. 6. Not bad going forward although his first touch and control was lacking at times. I'd like to see Roe given a go.

Boom. 7. Won most headers and I thought he was steady.

Gaz. 7 Again solid in the centre.

Griff. 5 Poor game. Gave the Bradford midfield too much time. Better when MA changed formation to 4-1-3-2.

Roberts 5. A game I'm sure he will want to forget. Not his usual high quality.

Taylor.7. That score is for the first 15 minutes. His positional play was poor. He spends too much time out of the game when he should be looking for the ball and trying to get behind the full back.

Little.6 Woeful first half but much more promising second half. I think he will do well.

Pope. 8 No preseason yet he just keeps going and going. Fantastic effort.

Williamson. 7. We should have played more balls to him on the floor. Looked dangerous,especially in the first half. Less influential as the game went on.

Subs.

Loft. 8. Quality!!!!!,

Morsy. 7. Better than the player he replaced. Looked far more lively and dangerous.

Dodds. 6. Didn't have a big impact on the game.

The game was frustrating as they had two huge centre halves yet we continued to knock high balls into the front two. We should have played it more on the floor and got round the back, just like Williamson did early on.

Archived