onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Planning our last 2 home games of the season !

ollyandpatch

Need to go back to the 50s,I spotted an offer for the new Railway Stand 1954/5, centre seats 6 guineas, wing seats 5 guineas, season tickets that is. For our younger readers a guinea was 21 shillings or £1.05.

Giving you age away Fosse, going round the farm sales in the late 50's all purchases were in guineas.

Advert

I know what you mean. I think it's our noisiest stand by default simply because it's closer to the away fans. The fans that go for the atmosphere would probably jump at the chance of getting in the Hamil End as a one off. The atmosphere sounds great in the paddock when you're in it, but shocking everywhere else. I've been in the box before and seen hundreds of arms outstretched as though the fans are really going for it, but you can hardly hear them, the sound just doesn't travel well.

If this game turns out to be the one where they could win the league, or secure promotion, then an allocation of 4492 will see their fans in the home ends which is just asking for trouble. I agree that 4492 is a great allocation for this league, and not many others could offer that. But these are circumstances that will rarely be repeated. Last season Walsall had the chance to secure promotion and only brought 3,300. Very few other clubs in our league would fill it, but we're talking about Sheffield Utd, so we have to consider what could happen if we don't offer them more tickets. We have history, so the risk for trouble is high as it is.

If we could give Vale fans the Hamil End it would attract a fair few more to attend in my opinion. Would be interesting to see what a half decent atmosphere behind a goal would do to motivate the players at VP for a change.

Sent from my SM-G361F using the onevalefan mobile app

It was in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

The railway stand was more expensive but not the paddock, and can you remember this, in the late 60s if you went in the bycars or Hamil and wanted swap ends because the other team won the toss there was a turnstile at the bottom of Hamil/ paddock and it was a shilling to go through, but at halftime it was free to just walk around the track, also remember there was a metal fence, with a gate at the bottom halfway along the paddock , the gate was always open but one day ,think 1970 police closed it trying contain Man City fans in pre season friendly, it was anything but friendly

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

I vaguely recall this Rayzer, 10p or something for the half time transfer!!?

As I stated above I remember it being one shilling (5pence) anyone else remember the old scoreboard , bloke name Harry used come out and go up put the scores on it, we use to go reserve games on Saturday and at half time he used come out and just put vale score up Playing away, wouldn't tell us score as he slowly walked to score board then even slower climbed the steps,

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

Out last night with my Sheff Utd mate, and the blades fans still believe they will get promoted at Vale and are on standby for the release of tickets. I wonder if Smurf has discussed this match with the police as it's only 3 weeks away? He still believes, (and after all these years he is probably correct) they could sell 12k !

Give them the away end and that's it. Anymore will get embarrassing and will be of no benefit to Port Vale. Smurf would pocket all the additional cash, like he did in Jan with the transfers.

Embarrassing? Were Wycombe embarrassed when they gave up their stand to us? Where Rochdale and Bury over the last few years embarrassed?

Probably too late now to be honest anyway.

Embarrassing? Were Wycombe embarrassed when they gave up their stand to us? Where Rochdale and Bury over the last few years embarrassed?

Probably too late now to be honest anyway.

More depressing than embarrassing. Don't need the demise of Vale's fortunes this season being rubbed in any more than neccessary. 4k is enough as they don't need any more of a lift than they already have and our bottle jobs don't need any more excuses. We probably going to need to win the game to compensate for the obligatory away defeats.

It's a shame we can't put the prices up for away fans mind, no matter how immoral that may be 😏

Archived