onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alex Jones on our forward play

mattyboy

Not great reading, but nothing we don't know already of course

From the local paper in Bradford:

Jones was delighted to be back in his natural role as centre forward after playing mainly on the right during his half-season spell with Port Vale.

He said: "I prefer the system here because there are so many bodies up front with you. That makes it easier to link up.

"It's nice to play down the middle and get familiar with that position again. At Port Vale, most of the goals I scored were by myself and they didn't really create any clear-cut chances.

"Here they create a shed-load every game and hopefully I can start to put a few of them away. It's a great feeling to have as a striker that the lads behind are going to create things for you."

Advert

Indeed - Hooper said much the same when opting to go on loan

It seems sensible to try and play good players in a way that they want to play - that's how to get the best from them. In league 1 there can't be many strikers that are desperate to play as the only one up front or out on the wing as that role will be alien to them

Jones was delighted to be back in his natural role as centre forward after playing mainly on the right during his half-season spell with Port Vale.

He said: "I prefer the system here because there are so many bodies up front with you. That makes it easier to link up.

"It's nice to play down the middle and get familiar with that position again. At Port Vale, most of the goals I scored were by myself and they didn't really create any clear-cut chances.

"Here they create a shed-load every game and hopefully I can start to put a few of them away. It's a great feeling to have as a striker that the lads behind are going to create things for you."

Perhaps best if he kept his mouth shut. Tosser.

Agree in part but wouldn't say he created his own goals! Fleetwood was a cross after great work by Jerome Thomas, Hartlepool he was put through by a great through ball (Tavares i think?)... both goals against Scunthorpe were down to a great cross and being fed on a breakaway plus 3 penalties!

We don't create enough though and everyone bar the coaching team could see that!

Alex is a young lad and his comments show his lack of experience and maturity off the field. Better by far for him to talk about Bradford City and all the positives he has found so far. There is no need to talk about Port Vale to his new fans. He did not mean to show any lack of respect, but let's hope he learns that you can easily be caught out by saying things that are open to different interpretations.

I still think he will perform better in a wide position. At Charlton he played down the middle and he could hardly retain the ball; every time it was cleared it pinged back. He had little support but his natural game is running on to the ball not facing goal with his back to it. The master of that skill was Martin Foyle. Good luck Alex but just think twice before you talk in a public arena.

Alex is a young lad and his comments show his lack of experience and maturity off the field. Better by far for him to talk about Bradford City and all the positives he has found so far. There is no need to talk about Port Vale to his new fans. He did not mean to show any lack of respect, but let's hope he learns that you can easily be caught out by saying things that are open to different interpretations.

I still think he will perform better in a wide position. At Charlton he played down the middle and he could hardly retain the ball; every time it was cleared it pinged back. He had little support but his natural game is running on to the ball not facing goal with his back to it. The master of that skill was Martin Foyle. Good luck Alex but just think twice before you talk in a public arena.

Always best to look to the future, learn from the past and keep it to yourself.

Always best to look to the future, learn from the past and keep it to yourself.

That reminded me of a comment I heard when I was a young manager finding my way in a harsh corporate world. One wise old sage was clearly getting a little fed up of the Office Politics at a large meeting when a number of people were jockying for position. The wide old sage said to one particular oik "Sir better by far to keep your mouth closed and have people think you are an idiot, than it is to start talking and confirm the fact". I am not saying Alex Jones is an idiot, clearly he is not, but that quote is one that should be applied to someone not so far from us :)

Bit naughty to say this, but sadly some truth in it. Let's see how many he gets between now and the end of the season and judge the remarks on that.

Archived