onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reality Check and simple facts

philmpv

I agree the food and drink issue is a disgrace at the moment but its folly to say that's his fault. Do you think chairmen of any other Prem / Championship or League 1 club goes round checking stock levels. Heck he's even helped serve in the past.

Any chairman / CEO/ Managing director worth his salt will keep an eye on all aspects of his business especially in a business the size of Port Vale, our owner seems to have mastered the art of turning a blind eye to the everyday running of the clubs finances spreadsheets were designed for a purpose.

Advert

Hes gotta say that though, pandering to the new fans.

I did think the timing of his stomach bug was suspicious though. Think his agent told him to stop playing as to not to risk an injury

I wonder how many people pull a sicky with their employer when they want a day off?

Any chairman / CEO/ Managing director worth his salt will keep an eye on all aspects of his business especially in a business the size of Port Vale, our owner seems to have mastered the art of turning a blind eye to the everyday running of the clubs finances spreadsheets were designed for a purpose.

As I said in that piece of my post you cut he needs to be able to trust senior management on these kinds of things and this is an area along with marketing he needs to overhaul the key people and manage them out of the business given their underperformance.

As I said in that piece of my post you cut he needs to be able to trust senior management on these kinds of things and this is an area along with marketing he needs to overhaul the key people and manage them out of the business given their underperformance.

One could argue that he is so "hands on" he wont employ the people he needs, he will or has taken charge himself... "stoke audi" "how hard can it be"

Easily delegated, viability of kiosk catering expansion to be investigated.

I totally understand that Norman cannot run the whole club. He can't foresee everything. What he can do though is have a business where he knows of what's going on in all aspects of the club.

He employed the manager. He failed.

He employed the marketing staff. They are failing.

He employs the person who orders catering stock. They are failing.

When he gets it right, such as the decision to get Errea to produce our kits, online ticketing, the signing of Lee Hughes, to name but three of a few, I will give him all the credit in the world.

When he gets it wrong I will challenge it.

I think that's fair.

I've said it many times but I only support Port Vale Football Club.

It seems that some support Norman Smurthwaite more.

I totally understand that Norman cannot run the whole club. He can't foresee everything. What he can do though is have a business where he knows of what's going on in all aspects of the club.

He employed the manager. He failed.

He employed the marketing staff. They are failing.

He employs the person who orders catering stock. They are failing.

When he gets it right, such as the decision to get Errea to produce our kits, online ticketing, the signing of Lee Hughes, to name but three of a few, I will give him all the credit in the world.

When he gets it wrong I will challenge it.

I think that's fair.

More than fair, excellent post.

No he's got management' date=' just the wrong key members of staff. You need people that understand the bottom line and customer development.[/quote']

He has people employed but thats not the same thing... sometimes you have to let go to be in control

He has people employed but thats not the same thing... sometimes you have to let go to be in control

And he hasn't? If he isn't aware because people are hiding it from him he can only initially be reactive, I've been in that position myself. It's how he handles it, becomes proactive and ensures the right people manage it in the best interests of the club moving forwards.

I think smurf believes that if he isnt spending on something he is saving money... its a false economy.

A well run marketing/sales/PR/catering [etc] department can earn you more than you spend and more than you think you are saving.

Spot on.

Anybody can walk into a business and save money. It's easy business practice. Cutting here there and everywhere.

The real winners in business are those who think the exact opposite. Not how to save money but how to make money.

Right now our owner has two hopes of making money.

One. A win tomorrow and a big fourth round draw.

Two. Selling one of the 30 odd players we have for seven figures.

That's not how to run a successful football club.

Like I've said earlier, he is the owner and we are stuck with him. I'd just like to see some sort of x amount of years plan and a true direction he is taking the club instead of these radical, spontaneous decisions which have little to none substance to them whatsoever.

Archived