onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Window: Vale ins, outs, rumours etc...

robf

As I said on pg 2 Norwood I would take a punt on, I remember he was FGR's best player against us in the cup game their the year we went up. Surprised he hasn't made the step up to at least league two. At 26 still a good age though, would just depend what sort of fee involved. The same with any signing like that, Macc n Tranmere aren't going to let their better players go for nothing when in with a chance of promotion.

Advert

We really need to offload the players who will never make the first team by whatever means possible, loans, transfers, mutual agreement pay off, etc. We'll all have our own opinions as to who those players are but some the vast majority of us would agree on. This not only frees up space for replacements but frees up coaching focus and backroom resources. A club of our size should only expend resources on players who are or have potential to be first teamers. We have far too many who are / were 'punts' that have failed.

I can't decide which is more surprising - that Smith is in that list or that Nick is reading the Torygraph.

Would you prefer that I read the Mail ? You'll be telling me not to watch the BBC next. Virtually all the media (and the government) is controlled by the same people so you go for the best written one. Its easily the best for football and cricket too.

I feel I need to defend Page here; the signings he made in his last season were nearly all really good successful players, certainly one of the more impressive 'hit rates' in the post-Rudge years. Admittedly his use of the loan market could be poor but the likes of Alnwik, Purkiss, Grant, Foley and Kelly can't be sniffed at.

The main problem with page was that he acknowledged that we needed a shake up then offered everyone a new contract. And he totally ballsed up the budget until smurf extended the budget so he could bring in a striker, but you won't believe that. And Kelly can very easily be sniffed at. I'd heard it was glover who recommended grant.

It's off topic, I guess, but no, I'm not sure if I do believe that Page "totally ballsed up the budget until smurf extended the budget so he could bring in a striker". The maths doesn't add up. Page brought in many extremely good players and whether it was Glover or Page that recommended them (Smurf stated it was Page that came to him asking to sign Grant), it was the manager who actually signed them. My initial post was to contradict the assertion that "[Page]'s signings were often lazy and you wondered if they had ever seen them play before" as I believe that that massively understates Page's positive contributions to the squad. Anyway, as I said, off-topic...

EDIT: Aw, ******** :(

The main problem with page was that he acknowledged that we needed a shake up then offered everyone a new contract. And he totally ballsed up the budget until smurf extended the budget so he could bring in a striker, but you won't believe that. And Kelly can very easily be sniffed at. I'd heard it was glover who recommended grant.

Completely agree, Glover pushed hard for Grant and Kelly isn't and won't make it a success in league 1 football.

He spunked the budget on a totally unbalanced squad with jobs for all his mates and with no strikers and then the chairman had to rescue him by facilitating the signing of extra players.

Completely agree, Glover pushed hard for Grant and Kelly isn't and won't make it a success in league 1 football.

He spunked the budget on a totally unbalanced squad with jobs for all his mates and with no strikers and then the chairman had to rescue him by facilitating the signing of extra players.

Whats the excuse for this seasons close season signings ?

You actually think that a professional football manager where it is a cut throat results business will give contracts to his 'mates' rather than to those that would help the club and subsequently himself succeed? You may agree or disagree with who were and were not offered contracts but this mate's thing is nonsense.

Just because he offered contracts to players you wouldn't doesn't mean they were his mate's!

You actually think that a professional football manager where it is a cut throat results business will give contracts to his 'mates' rather than to those that would help the club and subsequently himself succeed? You may agree or disagree with who were and were not offered contracts but this mate's thing is nonsense.

Just because he offered contracts to players you wouldn't doesn't mean they were his mate's!

Of course they were, interesting he didn't take any of them with him to the Cobblers eh?

They were lazy jobs for the boys signings that showed what a conservative and uninspiring manager he was.

Archived