onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alex Jones

Robbie Earle's Perm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3983694/Barnet-launch-club-record-offer-Omar-Bogle-Grimsby-star-setting-League-Two-alight.html

Barnet bid £250k in November and Leeds, Barnsley and Bristol City also said to be potential suitors.

QUOTE=llcoolj;690094]He's not worth £300k. However as we are hamstrung with a huge squad of poor players on 2 year deals we can't compete with wages. I'd also forget the lad from Grimsby, we can't afford him either other clubs will snap him up.

Puts us into perspective doesn't it when the mighty Barnet of L2, who already have John Akinde, can be making bids of £300k to Grimsby for Omar Bogle when we, by all accounts, wouldn't sign him for what would have been a pittance back in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Bogle

Advert

Puts us into perspective doesn't it when the mighty Barnet of L2, who already have John Akinde, can be making bids of £300k to Grimsby for Omar Bogle when we, by all accounts, wouldn't sign him for what would have been a pittance back in 2015.

Nothing much we can do about it if someone wants to pour money into players at Barnet, as was done at Fleetwood when they bought Vardy.

Nothing much we can do about it if someone wants to pour money into players at Barnet, as was done at Fleetwood when they bought Vardy.

Barnet are following the Bury model.

I know Barnet have money to burn but the worst thing about this is that we could have got Bogle for next to nothing 18 months ago.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-weigh-solihull-moors-striker-omar-bogle/story-26216956-detail/story.html

After we'd scouted him, Nuneaton offered £10,000 for him and were then outbid by Grimsby who were then in the National League. Instead we've a massive squad full of mediocre players who probably cost us more than that in weekly wages. It's about vision for the club, ambition and footballing judgement. We don't seem to have much of these at present, particularly the latter.

Even when we sign a promising non-league player, we play him out of position and then let him go on loan to one of our rivals instead of nurturing him and bringing him on. I know it's easy with hindsight but our problems all look as if they were pretty avoidable. Let's hope, by some miracle, that Brown can begin to make some sense of the position we're in. Good luck to him and UTV.

No doubt about it we will miss Jones goals unless Brownie can weave some magic, That said goals apart Jones offers little more because he is rather slow and disappears for long periods.

Missing out on Bogle on the other hand was a massive own goal by the club because if Smurf wishes to make huge profits out of young talent he will only achieve this by buying quality 'unpolished diamonds' as was the case with young Bogle. That option has long gone and the Championship will most likely get him sooner of later and Grimsby will benefit from their wise move to get him into their squad.

If he doesn't get his act together in regard to Streete he will also be off shortly for a pittance but hey what advice can I offer to Smurthwaite the footballing expert who thinks that he knows it all.

Omar Bogle is a gamble no matter what anyone thinks, fortunately it's a gamble that's paid off for Grimsby, but that doesn't mean it would of paid off for us. Hooper is a prime example, although I feel Hooper has something raw about him. League 1 and 2 are complete different standards as Tom Pope has shown us.

Sent from my HTC 0PGQ1 using Tapatalk

I know the lad and can assure you that he was violently sick before the Chesterfield game but agreed with Brownie to give it a go. He was sick for 2 days but definitely wanted to play yesterday. He made a big financial sacrifice to join the Vale and has loved every minute of his time with the Valiants. He wanted to stay but let's just say that the club might have tried a bit harder to hold on to him by making Birmingham an offer to buy him or extending his loan until the end of the season. As far as I know he has no agreement to join anyone at the moment but this is football and anything can, and frequently does, happen!

Omar Bogle is a gamble no matter what anyone thinks, fortunately it's a gamble that's paid off for Grimsby, but that doesn't mean it would of paid off for us. Hooper is a prime example, although I feel Hooper has something raw about him. League 1 and 2 are complete different standards as Tom Pope has shown us.

Agreed with did it with Hooper and it hasn't worked yet. We can't do it with loads of them, that said any strikers would help at the moment!

Agreed with did it with Hooper and it hasn't worked yet. We can't do it with loads of them' date=' that said any strikers would help at the moment![/quote']

I'm not sure but did we pay a fee for Hooper?

Plus I'm failing to recall the last time we had 3 promising youngsters like we do with Alnwick, Streete and Smith.

Plus if Grant does leave which he will we will get hopefully a good fee for him.

Plus I'm failing to recall the last time we had 3 promising youngsters like we do with Alnwick, Streete and Smith.

You would think that if these 3 continue in the vein of form they are currently in then they will be gone in the next year or so.

But at the end of the day thats what norman wants the club to be, a developing club. Behind those 3 then it seems as though players like Turner and Gibbons are the next in line.

Its good that we're bringing through our own players, we just need a plan in place for when those players eventually leave us.

You would think that if these 3 continue in the vein of form they are currently in then they will be gone in the next year or so.

But at the end of the day thats what norman wants the club to be, a developing club. Behind those 3 then it seems as though players like Turner and Gibbons are the next in line.

Its good that we're bringing through our own players, we just need a plan in place for when those players eventually leave us.

I agree let's not forget players like Forrester who I think when fully fit would be a real asset for us.

JJ also under the right guidance could become an asset. Same for De Freitas

I know the lad and can assure you that he was violently sick before the Chesterfield game but agreed with Brownie to give it a go. He was sick for 2 days but definitely wanted to play yesterday. He made a big financial sacrifice to join the Vale and has loved every minute of his time with the Valiants. He wanted to stay but let's just say that the club might have tried a bit harder to hold on to him by making Birmingham an offer to buy him or extending his loan until the end of the season. As far as I know he has no agreement to join anyone at the moment but this is football and anything can, and frequently does, happen!

Financial sacrifice? How? He was on loan...

Archived