onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matt Carragher

keeled56

Advert

I was devastated to read this sad news today, of course at such a young age it was a real shock. Matty always played to his best standard and even when he had a bad game it was never through lack of effort. Of course he was the last Vale Captain to lift a trophy. It was his throw that allowed Micky Cummins to score at the Britannia. I remember one of his first games for Vale against Middlesbrough at the newly opened Riverside. Paul Merson was playing for Boro who won 2-1 with two highly disputed penalties. The first one given against Matty when their left winger took a dive in the box, the second a ridiculous handball that never was against Neil Aspin. Matty never lost his focus and kept working hard in that game even though Merson was almost unstoppable. A lesser character might not have recovered from a baptism of fire like this.

We signed him on a free transfer from a team in a lower league and he gave wonderful service. He could play in any defensive position, but right back was his best. He was not big or particularly strong but he worked hard to develop a long throw from which we scored many goals. He was a great organiser. Oh I would love to see him in his prime playing for Vale right now. He would organise Smith and Streete and give them such confidence to attack every ball knowing that Matty was there to pick up any loose balls. He could then deliver an accurate pass sometimes long, for a speedy winger to run on to.

He gave wonderful service to Port Vale and if he lived his life liked he played his football, he was a man of humour, but determined, hard working, who never knew how to give up, and who took people with him because he lead by example.

True football fans cannot be conned, there will be warm applause at tonight's game in memory of a genuine Vale man who made a major contribution which is deep in our memory. I am sure that his family is proud of him, they have every right to be.

RIP Matty Carragher.

Easy to play people up after they've passed away, but Matty was certainly a very good defender for Vale who could play centre back or full back. He had a lot of quality and once he left we never had the defence right for years.

Best memory of him I think is the 1-0 win V Wigan at the JJB in 2002. We were really up against it and they were on their climb through the leagues at the time. Matty gave a man of the match performance with some real heart on sleeve defending.

More of a right back, like you Clinton!

But it's true, there can't be many Vale captains who have lifted a trophy for us and he is in a very exclusive club.

That winning LDV team was, for a spell, a joy to watch.

Yep...sorry. I was genuinely so upset when I read the news....should have proof read it.Mind you he could have played all along the backline, and not moaned. He was a good pro.

Was in Cardiff for the Final and somehow my mobile it rang home in my pocket.....my Missus could hear the crowd but couldn't make herself heard despite shouting down the phone so she got a full match report, including my shouting and singing she wasn't expecting!

This is another dreadful piece of news in a horrible year of loss.

Matt was a true Vale legend, a strong and dependable player and a fine captain. I doubt there have been many better players in his position in Vale's history, and he will remain in the thoughts of all Vale fans who saw him play and lead the way to one of our rare trophy successes.

Condolences go out to his family and friends, as we reflect on the sadness of losing him at such a young age, but also celebrate his career and achievements as a Vale player, in the way that I have no doubt he would have wanted us to.

Archived