• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

Advert:

13 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I loved the days when Harry Carpenter was commentating on the boxing for the BBC and then later when Barry Mcguigan and Jim Watt was involved with ITV.

Same over here now as HBO don't show Boxing any more and it's sporadic on Showtime. The HBO commentary team of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman and Emmanuel Steward/Roy Jones was superb, perhaps as good as any commentary team in any sport. 

Boxing has really suffered this last two-three years with COVID, Promoters and and the fragmentation of who's showing the fights. Over here there is Showtime, DAZN, ESPN+, ESPN, Premier Boxing Champions on different channels plus a smattering of "smaller" channels showing fights, no one knows what fights are on, on what channel, date and time, it can't be good for the sport. Many prominent boxers don't seem to have fought for 2-3 years unless I've missed the fights!!.

Similarly to the UK. With sky/BT/DAZN and occasionally Channel 5/itv/youtube/boxnation . 

Just money and greed between promoters. 

Hear more about Hearn-Frank Warren rather then the fighters nowadays. 

20 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

I loved the days when Harry Carpenter was commentating on the boxing for the BBC and then later when Barry Mcguigan and Jim Watt was involved with ITV.

Yeah, them were the days. These days I get them because #1 son has a SA mate who has SA TV. Brook and Khan was a bit silly. Both past it, Khan's heart was less in it. Time for both to call it a day for me.

I'm not interested enough to do PPV.  Particularly as you say, all about promoters these days. And big fights are so few and far between.  

A shame really because I've followed it for so long.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, toyahw said:

I'm not interested enough to do PPV.  Particularly as you say, all about promoters these days. And big fights are so few and far between.  

A shame really because I've followed it for so long.

I have some of the same sentiments although I will do PPV for a really big fight. 

Some promoters don't do Boxing a favor at all for example, the Promoter Al Haymon signed up ca 135 fighters to his Premier Boxing Organization and it appeared he only wanted them to fight each other. As a result many of his fighters didn't fight, miss-matches were made and big fights didn't happen.

Haymon has been criticized for acting as Promoter and manager but whatever he's been doing doesn't seem to have been good for the sport.

HBO has been a huge loss in the USA.

Edited by Paul6754

Advert:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Incredible fight between wood and conlon last night. Two absolute warriors fighting till the very end

Just watched the highlights as couldn't watch it live as we went out. Looked like an all action, brutal fight, incredible KO in the last, hope they're both OK after that.

• 4 weeks later...

Gennady Golovkin beat Ryoto Murata by TKO in the 9th round after knocking him down, Murata was a game opponent but was worn down by GGG's heavy jab and punches.

GGG was recently 40 years old, is he now too easy to hit and past his best to take on Canelo for the 3rd time, a Canelo  who's fighting soon for a light heavyweight belt.

Just thought i,d like to mention the ladies,

Savannah Marshall V Claressa Shields, in my opinion

is as big a watch as a lot of the mens bouts?

Also Micheala Mayer V Katie Taylor if it happens,  what a match that would be

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Biggie this weekend, I can only see Tyson Fury as the winner but dafter things have happened.

Two great welterweight fights last weekend, Connor Benn bt Chris Van Heerden by TKO in the 2nd round and Errol Spence Jr bt Yordenis Ugas by TKO in the 12th. Connor Benn looks to have a tremendous future in Boxing but he probably needs a fight against someone like a Danny Garcia or an Adrien Broner before he gets in with Spence or Terrence Crawford.

Edited by Paul6754

On 22/04/2022 at 17:25, Paul6754 said:

Biggie this weekend, I can only see Tyson Fury as the winner but dafter things have happened.

Two great welterweight fights last weekend, Connor Benn bt Chris Van Heerden by TKO in the 2nd round and Errol Spence Jr bt Yordenis Ugas by TKO in the 12th. Connor Benn looks to have a tremendous future in Boxing but he probably needs a fight against someone like a Danny Garcia or an Adrien Broner before he gets in with Spence or Terrence Crawford.

Benn is the most exciting fighter in Britain in my opinion. Needs a big step up in America next 

Looking forward to the Crawford-spence Jr fight that needs to happen this year 

Advert:

Incredible uppercut, looked like it only grazed Whyte but the outcome definitely said otherwise.

Fury never ceases to amaze me, he looks awkward, his legs are thin and his gait is a little off, he has this herky jerky style but at 6' 9" he packs a punch and is incredibly agile for his size.  There was an interesting discussion after the fight on ESPN+ about who out of all the heavyweights there's ever been is the best and who would beat him given his power and agility, it's a very good question. 

I hope he doesn't mess about fighting MMA fighters and hope he doesn't retire, at least before he's fought AJ. A few years ago I'd have said AJ would beat him, I've changed my mind now.

Think that may well have been Fury,s last fight before retiring?

Fought a clever fight keeping White at distance behind his jab,befoe finishing him off with a peach of an uppercut

,Dillian  appeared very one dimentional to me unable to get anywhere near enough to Fury and resorting to the odd roundhuose haymaker  

If the possibility of an AJ fight arose I,m sure he would thake that

But the likelyhood I ffeel is unlikely,As I think that Usyk wil again do a job on AJ

Meaning a Unification fight would be against Usyk who I dont think would be over keen to fight Fury

Of course there is also the little matter of purse % and venue to haggle over