Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

BJS was never going to win, he didn’t have the power to trouble Canelo (demonstrated by less than half his win being ko’s) and flicking out jabs hoping for a points win was, frankly, a daft strategy because we all know which way the cards will go (two had Canelo four rounds up at the time of the stoppage which was, shall we say, a touch generous).

Can’t really argue with the corner for waiving it off after a pretty horrific injury, which maybe might teach BJS a bit of humility after his ridiculous pre-fight ramblings and the slating he gave Dubois.

It was interesting to see 73,000 people in an indoor arena, good job we’re not in the midst of a pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Taylor did the job, but Ramirez looked so far off it.  Only half fit at best.  Pyric victory for Taylor who looked bang average mostly.  Him getting all those belts just shows how poor that division is at the moment.

Watched the DVR recording of Taylor vs Ramirez last night, first time I'd seen Taylor. He looks a big strong guy for a Light Welterweight, particularly his upper body,  his hands were too fast and he was too strong overall for Ramirez, beautiful uppercut in the 6th round to put Ramirez on the canvass.

Scoring was again questionable IMHO, all three judges scored it 114 to 112 for Taylor, considering Taylor put Ramirez on the canvass twice so without those knockdowns it would have been a draw.....kwakkers.

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Watched the DVR recording of Taylor vs Ramirez last night, first time I'd seen Taylor. He looks a big strong guy for a Light Welterweight, particularly his upper body,  his hands were too fast and he was too strong overall for Ramirez, beautiful uppercut in the 6th round to put Ramirez on the canvass.

Scoring was again questionable IMHO, all three judges scored it 114 to 112 for Taylor, considering Taylor put Ramirez on the canvass twice so without those knockdowns it would have been a draw.....kwakkers.

Yeah he is good, but not as good as that fight made him look. Ramirez looked like a total slob who hadn't trained since lock down and couldn't be bothered. Bit of a Ruiz job second time round vs Ant.

Credit to Taylor, job done. Will be interesting to see where he goes next in a weak division. Don't rate him as much more than above average, but fair play to the guy, he's done the bizz.

The card was about right, when you factor in the Vegas factor. Any foreign fighter starts at least a round down.

• 4 weeks later...

Vasily Lomachenko  made his comeback fight last night vs Masayoshi Nakatani (19-2-0) in Nevada. Loma won by TKO in the 9th round, Loma was just too good for the Japanese fighter who was too brave for his own good. Rematch with Teofimo Lopez scheduled for later this year, Lopez has previously beat Nakatani but didn't stop him.

Also, Gervonta Davis (25-0-0, 24 by KO) TKO'd Mario Barrios (26-1-0) in the 11th round in Atlanta handing Barrios his first defeat. The tank really is a tank!

• 2 months later...

AJ was well beaten yesterday by Alex. Usyk. I would have thought given the size difference in favor of AJ that AJ would have made Usyk resect his power and keep his hands at home, he did nothing of the sort. Usyk threw his punches at will and caught AJ too many times with his left hand, nearly knocking AJ down in the 12th.

Long way back for AJ from here, a big pay day vs Wilder in Vegas looks attractive. Where's it gone wrong?

20 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

AJ was well beaten yesterday by Alex. Usyk. I would have thought given the size difference in favor of AJ that AJ would have made Usyk resect his power and keep his hands at home, he did nothing of the sort. Usyk threw his punches at will and caught AJ too many times with his left hand, nearly knocking AJ down in the 12th.

Long way back for AJ from here, a big pay day vs Wilder in Vegas looks attractive. Where's it gone wrong?

I was lucky enough to watch it live in person last night. Absolute nightmare getting back though! 

Thought the Gameplan for Joshua was all wrong. He got outboxed easily. He's never been the most technical but has the power but for some reason couldn't land anything significant. Brilliant boxing from Usyk.

AJ loses the rematch and that's him done I think. We were never going to get Fury-AJ anyway. Just waffle from both promotions..

Edited by boslemportvale91

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Masterclass from Fury. Best heavyweight in the world without a doubt. 

Yep, there's no heavyweight around who can beat Fury at the moment. Incredible,  brutal fight, Wilder gave everything.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Quality fight that. Fury for me won most rounds. Credit for wilder for sticking in there, he could have gone literally anytime after that first big hit. Complete masterclass again from fury though, just far too good. 

Yes, great fight, one of the best I've seen for a long time. What surprised me was how many punches Wilder threw that failed to connect, which must have told on his stamina, whereas Fury connected a lot and his close up work with shots to the body and uppercuts was relentless, again really sapping. That punch in the third was devastating and really rocked Wilder. I would have expected it to finish earlier but Wilder found a way to keep going until, inevitably, in the tenth and eleventh he looked dead on his feet. No doubt after that.

Fury is a class act, both in boxing and sportsmanship, in contrast to Wilder who, I'm afraid, did his reputation no good at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2021 at 14:08, boslemportvale91 said:

Some decent scraps lately in Crawford/Porter and Lopez/Kambosos

Meanwhile Brook and Khan finally announced over here. A few years late in my opinion and definitely not a box office fight. Typical greedy sky though 

Add to that Canelo beating Caleb Plant to become the first boxer to all belts in the Super Middleweight division. Talk of him fighting at Cruiserweight next, apparently Canelo wants GGG to come up to Supermiddleweight to fight him, I doubt that will happen.

11 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Add to that Canelo beating Caleb Plant to become the first boxer to all belts in the Super Middleweight division. Talk of him fighting at Cruiserweight next, apparently Canelo wants GGG to come up to Supermiddleweight to fight him, I doubt that will happen.

Canelo deserves all the praise. However the GGG result /drug test I can't get past but the man definitely deserves respect.

Apparently his next fight is due in England in early March. Only fighter I can think of is John Ryder maybe ? He's beaten the best of what the UK can offer at this point.