Sign in to follow this  
boslemportvale91

Boxing: Fights coming up

On 04/08/2019 at 05:55, geosname said:

I've seen a couple of heavy punching knockouts from a guy called Efe Ajogba (I think) anyone know anything about him?

Hard to judge him Geo 'cause the win/loss records of most of the guys he's fought are not available as they are unknowns. Only way to find out if he's a prospect or suspect is to put him in with contender level Heavyweights with winning records.against known fighters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Hard to judge him Geo 'cause the win/loss records of most of the guys he's fought are not available as they are unknowns. Only way to find out if he's a prospect or suspect is to put him in with contender level Heavyweights with winning records.against known fighters.

I agree mate.... the guy who walked away didn't help. His couple of rounds against Mansour only revealed his punching power but 10 rounds against Demirezen suggests he can take a punch and go the distance..... although, as you say, opposition is the key.

But this guy can bang.

Just watched a replay of the Crolla v Lomachenko fight from earlier in the year. Luke Campbell takes on the Ukrainian at the O2 on Saturday. Good luck with that one ! 

An interesting bout on the undercard see’s Hughie Fury take on Alexander Povotkin. Let’s see how far Fury has come with this fight against a dangerous opponent.

Good luck to both Brits on Saturday, especially Campbell. He’s going to need it !

Edited by RailwayRowdy

18 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Just watched a replay of the Crolla v Lomachenko fight from earlier in the year. Luke Campbell takes on the Ukrainian at the O2 on Saturday. Good luck with that one ! 

Agree RR, Luke Campbell is going to have to fight the fight of his life if he's gonna beat Loma but he's got an advantage in height and probably reach. Loma is a boxing artist, his footwork incredible, he comes at his opponent from all angles. Hope they show the fight over here.

• Thanks 1

What a superb effort from Luke Campbell ! Value for money all the way at the O2 last night !

Although well down on the scorecard, Campbell actually competed well in most rounds only for Lomochenko to crank it up in the latter stages to take the round.

A fine effort from the Brit. I didn’t expect the fight to go beyond 6 at best, but to take the fight the distance and to even have his opponent gasping for air is an incredible achievement !

But you do have to say, what a fighter Lomachenko is !

Brutal fight in Vegas for Tyson Fury, he suffered a bad cut in the 3rd round but battled away and won on points.

Got to hand it to Fury, he has a massive heart and massive determination.

Former WBA Lightweight champion Anthony “Million Dollar” Crolla steps into the ring for the final time on Saturday.

I always enjoyed watching his bouts and he always gave value for money.

A great British fighter who deserves all the plaudits he will undoubtably receive.

Thanks for the memories. 

• Thanks 1

Canelo Alvarez beat Sergey Kovalev in Vegas last night to win the latter's WBO Light Heavy Weight World Championship, he's now a 4 weight world champion.

It was a strange fight, Canelo didn't really throw much or do anything, the majority of jabs and action came from Kovalev but in the 11th Canelo unexpectedly knocked Kovalev down and he couldn't make the count, at that time Canelo was ahead on points on two cards which I found a tad surprising. 

I have the utmost respect for boxing and boxers but something doesn't seem quite right here, perhaps Kovalev's chin is gone at age 36 so is past his prime.

• Like 1

Cat and mouse between Deontay Wilder and Luis Ortiz in Vegas last night, a superb right hand from Wilder ended Ortiz's night  about 10 secs from the end of the 7th round with Ortiz ahead on all 3 scorecards. Hardly any back-lift on the punch but it went straight through Ortiz.

AJ vs Ruiz up next week, gonna find out if the first fight was an off-night or not for AJ. 

I recently read an interesting article by respected British boxer Tony Bellew who seriously doubts that Wilder will be taking the re- match with Fury. After the trouble Fury gave Wilder last time, I see the Evertonian’s point !

Assuming AJ beats Ruiz on Saturday, will we again have the division’s main protagonists avoiding each other ?

If this was the case, Fury would have the most to lose as he currently holds no versions of the heavyweight championship. But with his presumably potential move into WWE, would he be that bothered ?

Edited by RailwayRowdy
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 14:54, RailwayRowdy said:

I recently read an interesting article by respected British boxer Tony Bellew who seriously doubts that Wilder will be taking the re- match with Fury. After the trouble Fury gave Wilder last time, I see the Evertonian’s point !

Assuming AJ beats Ruiz on Saturday, will we again have the division’s main protagonists avoiding each other ?

If this was the case, Fury would have the most to lose as he currently holds no versions of the heavyweight championship. But with his presumably potential move into WWE, would he be that bothered ?

Disciplined performance by AJ, stuck to his plan perfectly and boxed the rear end off Ruiz.

There are rumors of a Fury/Wilder rematch early/mid 2020 and if it happened that would put the chance of an AJ vs the winner sometime in late 2020, time for AJ to fit in a title defense if he wants to.  Hope they do fight each other next year, would be good for boxing.

Would also like to see a 3rd fight between Canelo and GGG next year, GGG been robbed twice IMHO but Canelo waiting for GGG to get older.

22nd February is the lined-up date for the Fury v Wilder rematch. Looking forward to it.

Can't stand Wilder (utterly gobby tvvat, and what's that ridiculous masked walk-on all about?!) so hopefully Fury can get it over the line next time as he was robbed of the decision last time as he took Wilder to school and completely outboxed him, despite getting caught and floored twice.

However, as unskilled and 'wild' as Wilder is, he does possess a massively destructive right hand, which at heavyweight can be all that matters I suppose. In fact, there has been talk of him having possibly the biggest knockout punch in heavyweight history, though IMO he wouldn't be in the top 50 heavyweights of all-time, so basic are his boxing skills.

As for AJ, a very nice, restrained, accomplished performance tonight. I don't see the merits of a 3rd Ruiz fight though, so he's surely got to angle for the unification fight v the winner of Fury/Wilder.