Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

• 1 month later...

Interesting fight tonight between Terence Crawford and Amir Khan, Crawford is pound for pound as good a boxer as anyone in the world right now but has only recently moved up to Welterweight whereas Khan has been boxing at Welterweight for a few years and may be the physically bigger fighter. I think Crawford will win but Khan's boxing skills and possible size give him a good chance, hope Khan's chin hold's up.

All a bit of a mess in HW division. All the fights everyone wants off the table due to TV deals and promoters and drugs. You have to feel a bit for big Ant. He needs some action. I fancy Amir to do the job tonight Paul6754.

Edited by toyahw

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive performance by Canelo Alvarez to beat Daniel Jacobs on points by unanimous decision for the IBF Middleweight title. Canelo looked stronger and more powerful than Jacobs despite being/looking the smaller guy.

However the fight showed the current nonsensical weight limit/system in boxing in that both fighters weighed in at or below the 160lb Middleweight limit on the Friday morning but rumor has it Jacobs hydrated up to 180ibs and Canelo 173lbs by the time of the fight on Saturday evening.

IMHO there should be a weight limit to which a boxer can re-hydrate to come the time of the fight, this would ensure fighters fight in their proper/appropriate weight class.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren, Hope you've changed your mind. Devastating right hand set up by a jab by Wilder to KO Breazeale, took AJ 7 rounds to get to Breazeale.

Wilder is athletic with tremendous punching power but like all (Super)heavyweights is susceptible if caught flush on the chin. Hope the match up with AJ happens soon 'cause it would be one hell of a fight, a don't blink fight.

Warren, Hope you've changed your mind. Devastating right hand set up by a jab by Wilder to KO Breazeale, took AJ 7 rounds to get to Breazeale.

Wilder is athletic with tremendous punching power but like all (Super)heavyweights is susceptible if caught flush on the chin. Hope the match up with AJ happens soon 'cause it would be one hell of a fight, a don't blink fight.

It took Wilder 9 rounds to knock out Molina, AJ knocked him out in 3. It was a good knock out but Breazeale should never had been in the ring saturday. Likewise with Ruiz when Joshua fights him June 1st.

I thought Breazeale was hopeless. The overhead replay of the round showed what he did. It was just unbelievable, dropped left hand guard again and again and got a hammer punch. So Wilder can definitely hit really hard. But he should have lost his two previous fights. It would help if the opponent turned up fit for the job. Otherwise he just waits until the opponent gases and then lamps him. That is what happened with Ortiz who fully fit would have won easily against Wilder.

To me Ruis is also going to turn up as blubber man against AJ. But I have seen him fight once and he does have good skill. So I expect him to last a few rounds.

Edited by Warren

• 2 weeks later...

As Wilder announces plans for a rematch with Ortiz, are we EVER going to see him v AJ when both are at their peak ?

Already it’s looking like a Mayweather/Pacquao situation with both seemingly feeling no desire to take each other on. After Fury gave Wilder a fright, he seems to have cooled on a Joshua match up.

Boxing is a great sport, but this continued avoidance of the matches that the public want to see is frustrating to say the least !

As Wilder announces plans for a rematch with Ortiz, are we EVER going to see him v AJ when both are at their peak ?

Already it’s looking like a Mayweather/Pacquao situation with both seemingly feeling no desire to take each other on. After Fury gave Wilder a fright, he seems to have cooled on a Joshua match up.

Boxing is a great sport, but this continued avoidance of the matches that the public want to see is frustrating to say the least !

I saw the Wilder v Ortiz fight. Wilder should have lost that. He only didn't because Ortiz was not in physically good enough shape and faded in the later rounds leaving himself open to the hay-maker. I think Ortiz wins this fight if he gets in really good shape.

Sadly RR it appears boxing is going back down the route of being splintered based on promoters, managers, agents, tv/internet associations such that the best don't usually fight the best because of outside influence.

Eg, the promotor/manager, Al Haymon, recently signed up over 150 top boxers and bought tv time in the USA to both manage boxers and promote bouts, some/many of which have been one sided mis-matches. It's a subject of intense debate in boxing circles, the fans want to see the best fight the best but some influential people in boxing have other agendas, will be interesting to see where this all ends up.

What the hell happened, I didn't expect that, thought it was a mis-match the other way. Speed of Ruiz seemed too much for AJ I'm stunned.

I reckon that could be the end of Joshua, certainly in terms of aspirations to ever be undisputed heavyweight champion.

He didn't get beaten by a one-punch knockout, as Lennox did when he lost to McCall and Rahman. Joshua was exposed and taken apart by Ruiz, and had no answer (and seemingly no energy) as soon as he'd been knocked down the first time.

He admitted to McCracken in his corner that he was 'just looking to drop the bomb' [big right-hand] when McCracken was urging him to use the jab to keep Ruiz at bay and break him down, and Joshua even asked his corner 'what punch was it' that had put him down the first time. (.....he obviously never saw it!)

By the end he didn't want to know, was looking at his corner and the referee as though to say 'I've had enough', and seemed relieved and bizarrely happy after the defeat - I wonder if his heart is no longer in it? (he's talked for a while of his legacy and business-interests after boxing).

There will undoubtedly be a rematch and, while Joshua could obviously catch Ruiz with a couple of big shots, I reckon its likely that Ruiz will beat him again.

Certainly, Wilder (who is a poor boxer in terms of technique and skill but has the power) would blast Joshua out very quickly looking at Joshua's defence last night, while Fury would just school Joshua for 12 rounds and win easily on points.

In a way, I feel it serves Eddie Hearn right as he seems to have been treating Joshua as the golden goose, with many reports from other boxers/promoters of Hearn making 'low-ball' offers for opponents to fight Joshua. He needs to bow down to others' demands now, if Joshua is to get the real top fights that Hearn should have been making for the last year or so.

We'll see in the next 12 months or so if Joshua still has the desire to be no.1

I hope so.

I reckon that could be the end of Joshua, certainly in terms of aspirations to ever be undisputed heavyweight champion.

He didn't get beaten by a one-punch knockout, as Lennox did when he lost to McCall and Rahman. Joshua was exposed and taken apart by Ruiz, and had no answer (and seemingly no energy) as soon as he'd been knocked down the first time.

He admitted to McCracken in his corner that he was 'just looking to drop the bomb' [big right-hand] when McCracken was urging him to use the jab to keep Ruiz at bay and break him down, and Joshua even asked his corner 'what punch was it' that had put him down the first time. (.....he obviously never saw it!)

By the end he didn't want to know, was looking at his corner and the referee as though to say 'I've had enough', and seemed relieved and bizarrely happy after the defeat - I wonder if his heart is no longer in it? (he's talked for a while of his legacy and business-interests after boxing).

There will undoubtedly be a rematch and, while Joshua could obviously catch Ruiz with a couple of big shots, I reckon its likely that Ruiz will beat him again.

Certainly, Wilder (who is a poor boxer in terms of technique and skill but has the power) would blast Joshua out very quickly looking at Joshua's defence last night, while Fury would just school Joshua for 12 rounds and win easily on points.

In a way, I feel it serves Eddie Hearn right as he seems to have been treating Joshua as the golden goose, with many reports from other boxers/promoters of Hearn making 'low-ball' offers for opponents to fight Joshua. He needs to bow down to others' demands now, if Joshua is to get the real top fights that Hearn should have been making for the last year or so.

We'll see in the next 12 months or so if Joshua still has the desire to be no.1

I hope so.

Well summed up KK.

It was a shock/embarrassing to see such lack of desire from A.J. I agree with you that Ruiz will win the rematch. A.J. lived on the Klitchko win for far too long and Hearn was a master at milking his cash cow.