onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

• 1 month later...

Advert

Canelo Alvarez beat Sergey Kovalev in Vegas last night to win the latter's WBO Light Heavy Weight World Championship, he's now a 4 weight world champion.

It was a strange fight, Canelo didn't really throw much or do anything, the majority of jabs and action came from Kovalev but in the 11th Canelo unexpectedly knocked Kovalev down and he couldn't make the count, at that time Canelo was ahead on points on two cards which I found a tad surprising. 

I have the utmost respect for boxing and boxers but something doesn't seem quite right here, perhaps Kovalev's chin is gone at age 36 so is past his prime.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cat and mouse between Deontay Wilder and Luis Ortiz in Vegas last night, a superb right hand from Wilder ended Ortiz's night  about 10 secs from the end of the 7th round with Ortiz ahead on all 3 scorecards. Hardly any back-lift on the punch but it went straight through Ortiz.

AJ vs Ruiz up next week, gonna find out if the first fight was an off-night or not for AJ. 

I recently read an interesting article by respected British boxer Tony Bellew who seriously doubts that Wilder will be taking the re- match with Fury. After the trouble Fury gave Wilder last time, I see the Evertonian’s point !

Assuming AJ beats Ruiz on Saturday, will we again have the division’s main protagonists avoiding each other ?

If this was the case, Fury would have the most to lose as he currently holds no versions of the heavyweight championship. But with his presumably potential move into WWE, would he be that bothered ?

Edited by RailwayRowdy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 14:54, RailwayRowdy said:

I recently read an interesting article by respected British boxer Tony Bellew who seriously doubts that Wilder will be taking the re- match with Fury. After the trouble Fury gave Wilder last time, I see the Evertonian’s point !

Assuming AJ beats Ruiz on Saturday, will we again have the division’s main protagonists avoiding each other ?

If this was the case, Fury would have the most to lose as he currently holds no versions of the heavyweight championship. But with his presumably potential move into WWE, would he be that bothered ?

Disciplined performance by AJ, stuck to his plan perfectly and boxed the rear end off Ruiz.

There are rumors of a Fury/Wilder rematch early/mid 2020 and if it happened that would put the chance of an AJ vs the winner sometime in late 2020, time for AJ to fit in a title defense if he wants to.  Hope they do fight each other next year, would be good for boxing.

Would also like to see a 3rd fight between Canelo and GGG next year, GGG been robbed twice IMHO but Canelo waiting for GGG to get older.

22nd February is the lined-up date for the Fury v Wilder rematch. Looking forward to it.

Can't stand Wilder (utterly gobby tvvat, and what's that ridiculous masked walk-on all about?!) so hopefully Fury can get it over the line next time as he was robbed of the decision last time as he took Wilder to school and completely outboxed him, despite getting caught and floored twice.

However, as unskilled and 'wild' as Wilder is, he does possess a massively destructive right hand, which at heavyweight can be all that matters I suppose. In fact, there has been talk of him having possibly the biggest knockout punch in heavyweight history, though IMO he wouldn't be in the top 50 heavyweights of all-time, so basic are his boxing skills.

As for AJ, a very nice, restrained, accomplished performance tonight. I don't see the merits of a 3rd Ruiz fight though, so he's surely got to angle for the unification fight v the winner of Fury/Wilder.

• 1 month later...

The forgotten man of British boxing steps back into ring on Saturday for the first time in over a year.

Kell Brook takes on American Mark DeLuca (24-1) and says a defeat will take him into retirement. His fantastic performance when beating Shawn Porter to take the IBF title now seems a long, long time ago.

Is this just an attempt to arouse interest in a final pay day against Amir Khan, a man he avoided like the plague when both were in their pomp, or a serious attempt to resurrect a once glittering career ?

Either way, I always enjoyed watching Kell’s ring craft, but he possibly lacked the power to back that artistry up. 

Let’s just hope that he is in good shape for Saturdays bout following  his recent spell of inactivity. No one wishes to see him as a shadow of his former self.

Edited by RailwayRowdy

On 06/02/2020 at 06:19, RailwayRowdy said:

The forgotten man of British boxing steps back into ring on Saturday for the first time in over a year.

Kell Brook takes on American Mark DeLuca (24-1) and says a defeat will take him into retirement. His fantastic performance when beating Shawn Porter to take the IBF title now seems a long, long time ago.

Is this just an attempt to arouse interest in a final pay day against Amir Khan, a man he avoided like the plague when both were in their pomp, or a serious attempt to resurrect a once glittering career ?

Either way, I always enjoyed watching Kell’s ring craft, but he possibly lacked the power to back that artistry up. 

Let’s just hope that he is in good shape for Saturdays bout following  his recent spell of inactivity. No one wishes to see him as a shadow of his former self.

Good win by Kell Broook over DeLuca but the American hadn't fought anyone of note and wasn't a top ranked fighter. I would prefer to see Kell retire rather than risk more serious injury but can understand his motivation for a future fight against Khan and a good payday, there would certainly be mega interest in the UK.

Difficult to see who he would fight besides Khan as there are some very good, hard hitting Light Middleweights about.

Biggie on Saturday in more ways than one. Intriguing fight. Iff Fury is still standing at the end of the 12th he stands a great chance of being the victor but Fury only has to lose his concentration once and it could be all over. Can't imagine a 12th round knockdown and resurection  like in the first fight but anything is possible in this one.

Too close to call.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 03:50, Paul6754 said:

Difficult to see who he would fight besides Khan as there are some very good, hard hitting Light Middleweights about.

Rumours over here are that Brook may face Liam Smith of the Liverpool fighting dynasty in his next fight.

Although Smith has had a decent career, he is pretty much a “yesterday’s child”  and I cannot see the same clamour for tickets as there would be for a bout against Khan.

Wilder v Fury ? I feel Tyson has to stop Wilder to win. It’s going to be awfully difficult to beat the American on home canvas, as was proven in the first fight. 

Bring it on !

It's going to end in tears (and perhaps a concussion too) for Fury unfortunately. He very nearly put on a masterclass last time out (in their first fight) and I can't see him doing that again now that Wilder knows what he's about after sharing a ring with him. Wilder will be more patient this time around. If Fury tries to sit down on his punches more believing that he can take Wilder out he won't last 3/4 rounds.

Fury won 10 rounds in the first fight in my opinion, and Wilder was losing every round last time out v Ortiz.

If it goes to points this time I think Fury wins. I was more confident he could do it but I'm not sure why he's weighed in so heavy.

The best technical heavy weight against the best puncher. It should be a great fight.