onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

As Wilder announces plans for a rematch with Ortiz, are we EVER going to see him v AJ when both are at their peak ?

Already it’s looking like a Mayweather/Pacquao situation with both seemingly feeling no desire to take each other on. After Fury gave Wilder a fright, he seems to have cooled on a Joshua match up.

Boxing is a great sport, but this continued avoidance of the matches that the public want to see is frustrating to say the least !

Sadly RR it appears boxing is going back down the route of being splintered based on promoters, managers, agents, tv/internet associations such that the best don't usually fight the best because of outside influence.

Eg, the promotor/manager, Al Haymon, recently signed up over 150 top boxers and bought tv time in the USA to both manage boxers and promote bouts, some/many of which have been one sided mis-matches. It's a subject of intense debate in boxing circles, the fans want to see the best fight the best but some influential people in boxing have other agendas, will be interesting to see where this all ends up.

Advert

What the hell happened, I didn't expect that, thought it was a mis-match the other way. Speed of Ruiz seemed too much for AJ I'm stunned.

I reckon that could be the end of Joshua, certainly in terms of aspirations to ever be undisputed heavyweight champion.

He didn't get beaten by a one-punch knockout, as Lennox did when he lost to McCall and Rahman. Joshua was exposed and taken apart by Ruiz, and had no answer (and seemingly no energy) as soon as he'd been knocked down the first time.

He admitted to McCracken in his corner that he was 'just looking to drop the bomb' [big right-hand] when McCracken was urging him to use the jab to keep Ruiz at bay and break him down, and Joshua even asked his corner 'what punch was it' that had put him down the first time. (.....he obviously never saw it!)

By the end he didn't want to know, was looking at his corner and the referee as though to say 'I've had enough', and seemed relieved and bizarrely happy after the defeat - I wonder if his heart is no longer in it? (he's talked for a while of his legacy and business-interests after boxing).

There will undoubtedly be a rematch and, while Joshua could obviously catch Ruiz with a couple of big shots, I reckon its likely that Ruiz will beat him again.

Certainly, Wilder (who is a poor boxer in terms of technique and skill but has the power) would blast Joshua out very quickly looking at Joshua's defence last night, while Fury would just school Joshua for 12 rounds and win easily on points.

In a way, I feel it serves Eddie Hearn right as he seems to have been treating Joshua as the golden goose, with many reports from other boxers/promoters of Hearn making 'low-ball' offers for opponents to fight Joshua. He needs to bow down to others' demands now, if Joshua is to get the real top fights that Hearn should have been making for the last year or so.

We'll see in the next 12 months or so if Joshua still has the desire to be no.1

I hope so.

I reckon that could be the end of Joshua, certainly in terms of aspirations to ever be undisputed heavyweight champion.

He didn't get beaten by a one-punch knockout, as Lennox did when he lost to McCall and Rahman. Joshua was exposed and taken apart by Ruiz, and had no answer (and seemingly no energy) as soon as he'd been knocked down the first time.

He admitted to McCracken in his corner that he was 'just looking to drop the bomb' [big right-hand] when McCracken was urging him to use the jab to keep Ruiz at bay and break him down, and Joshua even asked his corner 'what punch was it' that had put him down the first time. (.....he obviously never saw it!)

By the end he didn't want to know, was looking at his corner and the referee as though to say 'I've had enough', and seemed relieved and bizarrely happy after the defeat - I wonder if his heart is no longer in it? (he's talked for a while of his legacy and business-interests after boxing).

There will undoubtedly be a rematch and, while Joshua could obviously catch Ruiz with a couple of big shots, I reckon its likely that Ruiz will beat him again.

Certainly, Wilder (who is a poor boxer in terms of technique and skill but has the power) would blast Joshua out very quickly looking at Joshua's defence last night, while Fury would just school Joshua for 12 rounds and win easily on points.

In a way, I feel it serves Eddie Hearn right as he seems to have been treating Joshua as the golden goose, with many reports from other boxers/promoters of Hearn making 'low-ball' offers for opponents to fight Joshua. He needs to bow down to others' demands now, if Joshua is to get the real top fights that Hearn should have been making for the last year or so.

We'll see in the next 12 months or so if Joshua still has the desire to be no.1

I hope so.

Well summed up KK.

It was a shock/embarrassing to see such lack of desire from A.J. I agree with you that Ruiz will win the rematch. A.J. lived on the Klitchko win for far too long and Hearn was a master at milking his cash cow.

I think the fight showed up the limits of Joshua's boxing talent. Ruiz has more talent. He has also balanced weight better than it appears. He has power under the flab and therefore the flab adds impact when he punches and Joshua could not take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta give it to Tyson Fury, masterclass of boxing against Tom Schwarz, put him away in 2 rounds although Schwarz was 24-0-0 he hadn't fought any one of any note.

Tremendous performance from Gennady Golovkhin last week at a catch weight of 164ibs, KO'd Steve Rolls in 4 rounds. No doubt about GGG's desire for a rematch with Canelo Alvarez.

• 1 month later...

I'm not an expert on boxing nor as knowledgeable as some on here but is the sport in danger of damaging itself if it doesn't get a grip on drugs?

What's happening with Whyte? Has he been found guilty in his 1st sample of using drugs, or not? Wasn't he banned a few years ago? What could this do to boxing's reputation?

By the way, I do like boxing! My dad insisted we used to watch it many years ago as he was a successful boxer in the army and very often regaled me with stories about the best boxer he ever saw - Joe Louis. And who couldn't but watch boxing when the great man Ali was in the ring?

I wouldn't want it to go the same was as Le Tour with all it's many problems over the years.

On 04/08/2019 at 05:55, geosname said:

I've seen a couple of heavy punching knockouts from a guy called Efe Ajogba (I think) anyone know anything about him?

Hard to judge him Geo 'cause the win/loss records of most of the guys he's fought are not available as they are unknowns. Only way to find out if he's a prospect or suspect is to put him in with contender level Heavyweights with winning records.against known fighters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Hard to judge him Geo 'cause the win/loss records of most of the guys he's fought are not available as they are unknowns. Only way to find out if he's a prospect or suspect is to put him in with contender level Heavyweights with winning records.against known fighters.

I agree mate.... the guy who walked away didn't help. His couple of rounds against Mansour only revealed his punching power but 10 rounds against Demirezen suggests he can take a punch and go the distance..... although, as you say, opposition is the key.

But this guy can bang.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched a replay of the Crolla v Lomachenko fight from earlier in the year. Luke Campbell takes on the Ukrainian at the O2 on Saturday. Good luck with that one ! 

An interesting bout on the undercard see’s Hughie Fury take on Alexander Povotkin. Let’s see how far Fury has come with this fight against a dangerous opponent.

Good luck to both Brits on Saturday, especially Campbell. He’s going to need it !

Edited by RailwayRowdy

18 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Just watched a replay of the Crolla v Lomachenko fight from earlier in the year. Luke Campbell takes on the Ukrainian at the O2 on Saturday. Good luck with that one ! 

Agree RR, Luke Campbell is going to have to fight the fight of his life if he's gonna beat Loma but he's got an advantage in height and probably reach. Loma is a boxing artist, his footwork incredible, he comes at his opponent from all angles. Hope they show the fight over here.

• Thanks 1

What a superb effort from Luke Campbell ! Value for money all the way at the O2 last night !

Although well down on the scorecard, Campbell actually competed well in most rounds only for Lomochenko to crank it up in the latter stages to take the round.

A fine effort from the Brit. I didn’t expect the fight to go beyond 6 at best, but to take the fight the distance and to even have his opponent gasping for air is an incredible achievement !

But you do have to say, what a fighter Lomachenko is !