onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

Advert

Superb display of boxing by Billy Joe Saunders last night. David Lemieux, an out and out slugger, hardly laid a glove on him. Let's hope Saunders is true to his word and gets in with GGG 'cause I hear there's some doubt about GGG's rematch with Canelo.

Over here in the press,Saunders is calling Govolkin out, but it seems a big ask to me. But, no doubt he’s looking for that big payday, especially as it could unify all 5 versions for the division. No doubt time will tell

Over here in the press,Saunders is calling Govolkin out, but it seems a big ask to me. But, no doubt he’s looking for that big payday, especially as it could unify all 5 versions for the division. No doubt time will tell

Yep, he called GGG out at the end of the fight on HBO, let's hope he doesn't lose his pen again.

Must admit I was impressed with the win last night, he was very elusive.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like AJ/Parker is on for early spring somewhere in the Uk. A nice appetiser for AJ/Wilder later in the year. Let’s hope for no slip ups and see if Hearn IS true to his word about the Wilder fight “definitely happening” in 2018. Bring it on !

I'll drink to those two fights RR.

Fantastic year for boxing both commercially and bout wise. Here's hoping for another decent year of quality fights.

Fight of the year - Aj/klitschko fantastic bout also GGG/Canelo despite the controversial ending.

Boxer of the year - Linares for me. His fights with Crolla and Campbell were fantastic.

Best breakout Boxer - Conor Benn his last fight said it all! Huge career ahead of him and no doubt he will face Eubank Jr in the near future

Worst Fight -Mayweather/McGregor over rated and overhyped like many predicted

Hopefully Brooks and Degale will get some much needed victories this year also looking forward to Bellew beating Haye again and Groves/Eubank Jr

Fantastic year for boxing both commercially and bout wise. Here's hoping for another decent year of quality fights.

Fight of the year - Aj/klitschko fantastic bout also GGG/Canelo despite the controversial ending.

Boxer of the year - Linares for me. His fights with Crolla and Campbell were fantastic.

Best breakout Boxer - Conor Benn his last fight said it all! Huge career ahead of him and no doubt he will face Eubank Jr in the near future

Worst Fight -Mayweather/McGregor over rated and overhyped like many predicted

Hopefully Brooks and Degale will get some much needed victories this year also looking forward to Bellew beating Haye again and Groves/Eubank Jr

Spot on summary although I would go with Vasyl Lomachenko for boxer of the year, the guy is a brilliant technical boxer. Linares was superb also.

I've not seen Conor Benn although if he's half as good as his dad he'll be some fighter, I'll watch out for him.

Amir Khan announces a three fight deal with Eddie Hearn, with Liverpool’s excellent Echo Arena staging the first on April 21st. Seems to set up a fight with Kell Brook who previously seemed to avoid the former Bolton World Champion. Can he still hack it after that pummelling from Alvarez and a 2 year absence from the Ring ?

• 2 weeks later...

Errol Spence demolished Lamont Peterson in Brooklyn tonight, I reckon he will unify all the belts in the Welterweight division. He's strong, fast, a superb boxer, has a good chin and can punch. Strong possibility of a fight this year with Keith Thurman.

I don't know what weight Amir Khan fights at these days but if I were him I would stay well and truly away from a fight with Errol Spence.

Terence Crawford would have his way with Spence if that fight got made. Spence is good at what he does but Crawford is a much more rounded and naturally gifted fighter.

If Brook hadn't of stupidly jumped up two weight divisions to fight Golovkin and ultimately get his face caved in he would have also more than likely have beaten Spence.

Terence Crawford would have his way with Spence if that fight got made. Spence is good at what he does but Crawford is a much more rounded and naturally gifted fighter.

If Brook hadn't of stupidly jumped up two weight divisions to fight Golovkin and ultimately get his face caved in he would have also more than likely have beaten Spence.

Terence Crawford is a tremendous boxer but most of his time and wins have been at Light Welter, it would be a great fight and I'm sure it will happen. My money would be on Spence, he's the bigger guy and Golovkin..esque in the ring.

There wasn't that much weight difference between Brook and Golovkin when they fought. They both walk around at about the same weight but Kell Brook is special in that he can make weight at 147ibs, re-hydrate up to 160-165 and still retain his stamina for a fight, he's a big welterweight physically.

Kell may have been mentally scarred from the Glovkin fight but if memory serves me right he was doing well vs Spence for the first 4 or 5 rounds. IMHO Spence is a special talent and also physically big for a Welterweight so no surprise to me that he won and did similar damage to Golovkin but to the other eye.

Terence Crawford is a tremendous boxer but most of his time and wins have been at Light Welter, it would be a great fight and I'm sure it will happen. My money would be on Spence, he's the bigger guy and Golovkin..esque in the ring.

There wasn't that much weight difference between Brook and Golovkin when they fought. They both walk around at about the same weight but Kell Brook is special in that he can make weight at 147ibs, re-hydrate up to 160-165 and still retain his stamina for a fight, he's a big welterweight physically.

Kell may have been mentally scarred from the Glovkin fight but if memory serves me right he was doing well vs Spence for the first 4 or 5 rounds. IMHO Spence is a special talent and also physically big for a Welterweight so no surprise to me that he won and did similar damage to Golovkin but to the other eye.

I had Brook up by 3 I think after the first 7 before Spence got on top. I still think the damage and mental scars Brook received against Golovkin had a big influence on the result in his fight with Spence, although he only has himself to blame for getting in the ring with GGG in the first place. He had no right to be.

What do you make of the upcoming fight between Eubank and Groves? I like both and could make a case for either men winning.

I had Brook up by 3 I think after the first 7 before Spence got on top. I still think the damage and mental scars Brook received against Golovkin had a big influence on the result in his fight with Spence, although he only has himself to blame for getting in the ring with GGG in the first place. He had no right to be.

You're probably right, it was the first time he'd lost vs GGG and he received the same injury but to the other eye vs Spence, at least he got two decent pay days. I'd seen Spence a few times on US tv and knew he was special and it takes a special fighter to beat Kell Brook especially on his home middin', pre-fight I thought it was too close to call.

What do you make of the upcoming fight between Eubank and Groves? I like both and could make a case for either men winning.

I think Groves will edge it, he seems to have more power that Eubank and has been in with better fighters, Eubank doesn't appear to have a KO punch at this level. Gonna be interesting though.

Looking forward to the Linares fight later on, should be a decent bout.

Also see Badou Jack vs Adonis Stevenson has been announced for this year. Jack has been on a fantastic run since beating Degale and I can only see him getting better with each fight

Jorge Linares beat a Phillipino boxer called Gesta on points, there's talk of a re-match with Luke Campbell in the UK.