onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hypothetical situation. IF......

philmpv

.....Norman bowed to the views of most on here and sacked Bruno, yet the players currently in the squad were retained and then went on to perform much better to the end of the season, who would you blame for the current poor results/performances, Bruno or the players? If the former, why?

Discuss.

My own, strong, view is that whilst a manager can be the decisive factor between a good season or an average season, it is the players who have to deliver on a regular basis. When they don't for one manager but do for another (much like we have seen at Coventry this season and many other clubs down the years), I seriously question the professionalism of such players. At the end of the day, they are paid (in most cases) very well to do a job (and a job that most of us would dream of), and the buck stops with them. There can be no excuse, in my opinion, for a professional football player to perform terribly for one manager yet very well for another in the same season.

Advert

I don't think it is quite that simple. I have had some wonderful bosses for whom I would always go the extra mile because I trusted them and wanted to do well for them. I have also had bosses who were absolute tools and I would not give them the time of day. As humans we perform at our best when we are well motivated, supported, cherished and rewarded (not necessarily just in monetary terms).

If it was a simple as expecting players to do it all for themselves then we would not need managers at all. Clearly the manager's job is to get the best he can out of the players on the pitch. If one managers gets more out of the same group of players than his predecessor it is clearly a management competence issue and not a player competence issue.

The managers job is to maximise the assets at his disposal,so motivation of and using the players to the greatest effect for the club is the most they can do. The skills of managers and players vary and the optimum use of their skills will vary from match to match. However when team performance changes is it due to injuries, suspensions, transfers, personal problems/unrest due to various reasons not appreciated by management and dealt with. How would the manager be judged? Was he given unrealistic targets with the assets at his disposal? Was his competence ill judged? No simple answers but Norman has been quiet recently, plenty to ponder upon.

You also have to take into account the opposition...they are trying to sop you form succeeding so a team can fail simply cos the other team has better players. The manage can get everything right, pick the right players, motivate them, organise them etc..but they just aren't as good as the opposition...the next set of opponents might just not be as good

.....Norman bowed to the views of most on here and sacked Bruno, yet the players currently in the squad were retained and then went on to perform much better to the end of the season, who would you blame for the current poor results/performances, Bruno or the players? If the former, why?

Discuss.

My own, strong, view is that whilst a manager can be the decisive factor between a good season or an average season, it is the players who have to deliver on a regular basis. When they don't for one manager but do for another (much like we have seen at Coventry this season and many other clubs down the years), I seriously question the professionalism of such players. At the end of the day, they are paid (in most cases) very well to do a job (and a job that most of us would dream of), and the buck stops with them. There can be no excuse, in my opinion, for a professional football player to perform terribly for one manager yet very well for another in the same season.

The manager signs players based on their ability. Consistency is a factor of a players ability. Lack of consistency suggests lack of ability and hence the reason they play at lower levels.

We have signed a lot of inconsistent players from foreign leagues (at much lower standard than L1) and then played a lot of them out of position.

I believed in Bruno, like EVERYONE else, after 5-6 games and really bought-in to what he was trying to do. We had a great style that worked. However, every other team has sussed us out. We are easy to play against.

The manager makes no tactical changes. Plays the same system, one up front and we lose 3-0 (on average) away from home.

If I try something and it doesn't work, I might try it again. But if it doesn't work the second time I'll try something else until I get it right.

LOGIC.

Bruno only has one system he knows how to operate. I genuinely believe he is tactically clueless. What management qualifications does he have apart from his Doctorate in 4-5-1?

The manager signs players based on their ability. Consistency is a factor of a players ability. Lack of consistency suggests lack of ability and hence the reason they play at lower levels.

We have signed a lot of inconsistent players from foreign leagues (at much lower standard than L1) and then played a lot of them out of position.

I believed in Bruno, like EVERYONE else, after 5-6 games and really bought-in to what he was trying to do. We had a great style that worked. However, every other team has sussed us out. We are easy to play against.

The manager makes no tactical changes. Plays the same system, one up front and we lose 3-0 (on average) away from home.

If I try something and it doesn't work, I might try it again. But if it doesn't work the second time I'll try something else until I get it right.

LOGIC.

Bruno only has one system he knows how to operate. I genuinely believe he is tactically clueless. What management qualifications does he have apart from his Doctorate in 4-5-1?

Exactly. Also, if you know a system, then you know what kind of players you want to play in it. However, he signed players who (at least half of them anyway) he now clearly thinks aren't good enough to play in his system, which he is responsible for, & now he is playing players out of position & has no real plan B when we start to lose. The only reason it wouldn't be completely his fault is if Smurf was picking the signings at the time, & he had no real say.

Away from home (results wise at least), we're on a par (if not worse) right now with how we were under Page. Relying on home form currently (which hasn't been great either lately). I'm predicting a 12-16th finish, although who knows what may change in the coming months.

Also, without searching as I'm at work, curious, when was the last time we won 2 away in a row?

You're right mate.

My biggest concern of all, as you've mentioned, he's lost faith in his players. Things are not going well and this is the longest Bruno has stayed at a club.

We have a MASSIVE squad and stick to the same players playing the same terrible football with a few exceptions.

Tactically inept. Id rather us play 4-3-3 and have a go, than try a system thats continuiously failing*

*spectacularly failing

Gutting when we started so well and have seen the potential. Managers need to bring out a players potential - Adams was always decent at getting the best out of 'okay' footballers.

Walsall and Notts County a couple of years ago? Doubt we won back to back away games last season.

Just had a minute free & checked, you're bang on there, at least in the league! We beat Maidenhead & Barnsley last season back to back, obviously one was the cup replay though.

Archived