onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Defensive issues...

Stone Valiant

Goals for 14, Goals against 11

The second best attack in the division and the worst defence in the division. We are conceding nearly 2 goals a game, and yet the deefnders we have, taking out Clayton, are the same ones that had such a good defence previously. We seem to be particularly susceptable to set plays.

For me, we can point fingers and the blame at as many individuals as you like, I believe the problem is with the defence as a collective, and across the whole team. The problems at the moment therefore rest in one area and one area alone - what are the coaching staff, manager down, doing on our defensive training in the weak?

This is the area that needs to be fixed and the onous to get this fixed is with Mickey

Advert

Goals for 14, Goals against 11

The second best attack in the division and the worst defence in the division. We are conceding nearly 2 goals a game, and yet the deefnders we have, taking out Clayton, are the same ones that had such a good defence previously. We seem to be particularly susceptable to set plays.

For me, we can point fingers and the blame at as many individuals as you like, I believe the problem is with the defence as a collective, and across the whole team. The problems at the moment therefore rest in one area and one area alone - what are the coaching staff, manager down, doing on our defensive training in the weak?

This is the area that needs to be fixed and the onous to get this fixed is with Mickey

When our defence was at its meanest, which was before MA left, was he playing Kris Taylor or Lee Collins at left back?

I agree with that and would emphasise that we only looked like doing something in the first half of last season because we had a solid defence / were solid defensively as a team.

We keep conceding soft goals and for me it's the whole team who have to take responsibility for this, defending starts at the front holding the ball up and keeping possesion.

Thought so!

Drop CM and revert to a flat back four. You don't become a bad defence overnight.

You do if:

1. The way that unit are being asked to work together is different

2. If Owen is maybe not 100% fit

3. If the defence is not being supported from other areas of the pitch in keeping hold of the ball and tracking back like last season

we were undone by 2 breaks second half today. that's not just down to the back 4, it's down to losing the ball needlessly (Ie Richards for the winner) and the midfield not tracking back quickly enough and the like of Yates not having the pace to get back into position (2nd goal today).

with the defence of last season, we'd be top easily. still plenty of time to sort and players to come back, all is not lost.

You do if:

1. The way that unit are being asked to work together is different

2. If Owen is maybe not 100% fit

3. If the defence is not being supported from other areas of the pitch in keeping hold of the ball and tracking back like last season

I agree with all your points.

I meant that we have the same personnel in defence so in theory there isnt "a weak link" or a lack of understanding which could affect them as a unit. The whole team has to defend as one and if that did fail last season we could always depend on some last ditch tackles from the back 4. That seems to be missing at the moment.

We win 3-1 at Barnet playing a 5-3-2 and now Adams seems obsessed that is the right formation for every game....it isn't, He started last season with a 4-5-1 and we drew a lot of games, it was only when he changed to a 4-4-2 that those draws turned into wins, I believe 4-4-2 is our best formation but to alter to other formations tactically as when needed. Also Roberts is pushing further forward which is great for attackiveness but leaves us a little short in defence as he does not cover nearly as much ground as Morsy or Loft.

Defending is the biggest issue but the manager is faced with a number of problems. Against Southend and Tranmere the team started slowly. Tomlinson has let in goals he should have stopped and looks vulnerable on crosses. We did concede poor goals from set pieces. But 2 goals today came from shots outside the box which is a closing down issue not a central defending one.

Then the match statistics say a lot today. We have had 63% possession and 15 shots but only 4 on target. Wimbledon have had fewer shots but 6 on target. Pope has missed an open goal and that was a game changer because I think at 3-2 up we would have at least drawn.

My overall conclusion is that irrespective of how good the players are we are being inefficient - to use management speak and it is costing us big time.

We have gone from one of the best defences to one of the worst. The personnel are the same apart from Clayton so what could be the problems...

1- we have no pace, previously we have got away with this as opposition strikers were usually big with average pace, however now they are pacy and a ball over top or into channels kills us.

2- We didnt have a defensive coach last season, im not sure what Rob Pages input is but i cant imagine he isnt having an input into 1st team coaching, if so then perhaps this could be the issue??

3- Maybe it is as others suggest and that by throwing Clayton in its muddied McCombe & Owens partnership?

4- Maybe the poor & inconsistant form of Tomlinson is affecting the defence, not knowing if hes comming for crosses or if the ball will stick to him or not etc maybe affecting them.

Personally id like to see us go back to a flat back four, but we do need a pacy centre half, Collins isnt a centre half so that means the loan market.

Archived