onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Sheffield United v Port Vale

panhead

Patterson is looking like a waste of a wage and a poor signing.

Can't jump, can't run, can't score.

We were still in it yesterday until that 2nd goal but it was then game over...because we didn't have a hope in hell of scoring twice.

Anyway, if we can beat the Addicks we'll be on 23 points which would look very good for October 18th.

Advert

Hopefully it's a one off and we get back to business next week.

I expected a lot of negative posts on here, all the cretins come out the woodwork when we lose. Shame really as we haven't seen them for a while, they must be gutted we are 7th.

Need to look at our away tactics, Peter borough we dominated but couldn't score and ended up with a last minute penalty to salvage a draw, mk we defended superbly and pinched a 1-0 and today was a shambles. Get some consistency away from home and we have a real shout this season .

Finally a voice of reason amongst all those revelling in a poor performance against a huge team with a massice budget and quality players.

The mass hysteria is laughable, it really is as were some utter scumbags in the away end who need to do 12 years in a Russian army boot camp and grow the **** up, an embarrasment to the club :(

Why? What were they doing....singing?

Totally unreasonable behaviour at a football match.

A few issues that I've noticed under Bruno:

Players out of position... after a great start defensively we are haemorrhaging goals now, surely now it makes sense to change the squad back into correct positions! Yesterday we had a centre half at left back, one of the divisions hottest strikers out wide, a left back on the left side of midfield and ended up with another left back in central midfield! So two left backs on but neither are left back (Kiko and Hart).

Horses for courses... against a dreadful Coventry side we went one up front... promptly encouraged them to smash us (let's be honest could of been four or five) we are sticking with the one formation which teams are starting to figure us out with. Playing uber negative against a side struggling to win at home (MK) is fine and worked a treat but sticking with it against an in form side with zero sticking power up top doesn't work!

We need to be more dynamic with what we do, every time we go a goal down (Gills at home apart) we seem to fall apart and be on the end of a trashing, confidence maybe? If we take the lead we usually seem to become a totally different side and often go on to win welll.

We are badly missing key players too, I'd suggest whilst we have a lot of depth... too many are not up to it yet, Jerome Thomas missing has left us no outlet, such is his quality he at least occupies defences, Forrester missing shows our weak lack of strikers, he's the only one capable of making it stick up front and bullying teams but he seems to be struggling big time with injuries. Tavares and De Freitas missing seem the only really up to it foreign signings aside from Knops too!

Chairman apologised and oddly re-tweeted some fans comments (not great ones about Bruno's away approach) will 'plan b' start to be looked at?

On the side note regarding Smurf... our lack of pace and width going forward is a big issue... if only we had a pacey, extremely skilful winger that was getting everyone excited last season out of contract training with us after recovering from his ACL injury! Swallow pride Smurf and give Enoch what he wants! Spurs rumoured to have been looking at a £2 million bid before his season ending injury surely 1k a week is worth it!

Guest TommyMac

Why so much abuse to anyone who comments negatively on this performance and result? This is a thread on the Sheffield United v Port Vale match, not the season to date. The fact we are 7th is irrelevant to this thread. I'm sure every Vale fan would have snapped your hand off for 7th in October, it is a satisfactory position to be in. That, however, doesn't alter the fact that we were total crap yesterday and, imo, Bruno has made little to no progress in improving our away form.

A few issues that I've noticed under Bruno:

Players out of position... after a great start defensively we are haemorrhaging goals now, surely now it makes sense to change the squad back into correct positions! Yesterday we had a centre half at left back, one of the divisions hottest strikers out wide, a left back on the left side of midfield and ended up with another left back in central midfield! So two left backs on but neither are left back (Kiko and Hart).

Horses for courses... against a dreadful Coventry side we went one up front... promptly encouraged them to smash us (let's be honest could of been four or five) we are sticking with the one formation which teams are starting to figure us out with. Playing uber negative against a side struggling to win at home (MK) is fine and worked a treat but sticking with it against an in form side with zero sticking power up top doesn't work!

We need to be more dynamic with what we do, every time we go a goal down (Gills at home apart) we seem to fall apart and be on the end of a trashing, confidence maybe? If we take the lead we usually seem to become a totally different side and often go on to win welll.

We are badly missing key players too, I'd suggest whilst we have a lot of depth... too many are not up to it yet, Jerome Thomas missing has left us no outlet, such is his quality he at least occupies defences, Forrester missing shows our weak lack of strikers, he's the only one capable of making it stick up front and bullying teams but he seems to be struggling big time with injuries. Tavares and De Freitas missing seem the only really up to it foreign signings aside from Knops too!

Chairman apologised and oddly re-tweeted some fans comments (not great ones about Bruno's away approach) will 'plan b' start to be looked at?

On the side note regarding Smurf... our lack of pace and width going forward is a big issue... if only we had a pacey, extremely skilful winger that was getting everyone excited last season out of contract training with us after recovering from his ACL injury! Swallow pride Smurf and give Enoch what he wants! Spurs rumoured to have been looking at a £2 million bid before his season ending injury surely 1k a week is worth it!

You must be mental. You want to give a massive wage to a player who hasn't ran for 12months let alone kick a ball. Why haven't spurs snapped him up if he only wants 1k a week if he was that good ? You don't take risks like that and we did offer him a contract how do you know how much it was ? Rumour was his agent wanted silly money for a player not guaranteed to even play again.

I do not know what you expect John.

We have had a fantastic start to the season. Punching well above our weight.

Many predicted days like this. You were preaching to back the manager and your mate Norm.

I do believe most have. Just because we got panned by Sheffield it shouldnt mean you become all bi polar.

We lost against a side who i believe will go up this season.

There has to be a sense of realism. Normans expectations have obviously brainwashed some.

Im so happy to have 20 points on the board and the sooner we hit 50, the better.

Three points on Tuesday and all will be rosy again.

Listen Paul, that's rich coming from someone who is renowned for moaning! But whether we are 7th third or top there is no excuse to put on such an abject **** poor performance like that not only in that game but the Coventry,Mansfield and we were very lucky against Mk game also

We have set a precedent at the beginning that for some reason we have fallen well below now I'm as upbeat and optimistic as anybody but I'm sorry when I see performances like I Witnessed yesterday then as I've paid my money I think I'm entitled to 'moan' like the rest of you

I will always also give credit where it's due oh and really don't think yesterday's performance has anything to do with as you say 'my mate Smurf'!!!

Why so much abuse to anyone who comments negatively on this performance and result? This is a thread on the Sheffield United v Port Vale match, not the season to date. The fact we are 7th is irrelevant to this thread. I'm sure every Vale fan would have snapped your hand off for 7th in October, it is a satisfactory position to be in. That, however, doesn't alter the fact that we were total crap yesterday and, imo, Bruno has made little to no progress in improving our away form.

You get called mental, wum or stoke fan if you dont agree with some of the losers on here.your certanly not allowed to have your own opinion.

I don't know which was worse, our performance or the bloody traffic after the game. At least we stopped Billy Sharp scoring!

To be honest, before the last two away games I'd have been happy with a point from each. We've done better than that so I shan't get too down.

You are lucky, when you posted this some of us were still on one of the official coaches coming home after waiting 4 hours for a relief coach after ours wouldn't start after the game. So spent 4hrs sitting around at Sheffield. Thanks to Sheff Utd staff for allowing us to wait in on of their lounges and waiting with us

First twenty minutes was OK. Once United scored, they completely dominated until half time.

Early second half, I thought Vale looked bright, with Foley prominent in several bursts forward.

At 3-0, Jones had a shot very well saved.

However! Many problems:

For me, it was a tale of 3 corners.

Two for them; one for us.

How can the biggest player on the field be allowed to run unchallenged from 12 yards out and have what was essentially a free header?

Similar for the second, when he was unmarked 4 yards out.

The third, a corner for Vale ended up 4 v 2 as they cut us open.

Goal kicks are a big problem as Alnwick is forced to go long.

We just don't hold the ball up.

I see little contribution from Paterson in any of the forward arts.

In his defence, he is so isolated, with two wide players staying very wide and Foley gamely trying to catch up.

Grant was strangely muted.

My mate on the kop texted at half time and said 'good open game; you haven't parked the bus; good on yer':-(

Bright spots?

Amoros again impressed; he made many tackles and moves the ball quickly.

Erm, the linesman's flag?

There are worrying signs that we have been well and truly sussed.

We've done alright this season so far, perhaps better than what many expected, but I think some of us have gone a bit of the top in regards to one or two performances, including myself. We can't keep harping on about how good the likes of Streete, Smith and Grant are when we now have one of the 5 or 6 worst defences in the league. The balance in the middle of the park hasn't looked quite right no matter who plays there and we still don't have any good, pacey wingers that are ready to make an impact now. So basically we're far from a finished article and any talk of promotion is quite frankly ridiculous, and I've also got a bit excited myself at times.

Away from home in-particular it's quite clear to everyone that Patersen isn't the answer up top. I'm not making him a scapegoat as he's already scored more goals for us than I thought he probably would. But he doesn't have any pace to get in behind, doesn't hold the ball up anything like well enough due to his size, and basically offers very little, which isn't from the want of trying. That said, obviously it's not his fault that Forrester is already looking every the bit of a sick note he's been known for in his early career so far.

Thankfully didnt go yesterday or listen on radio -no dab so cant comment on game ,However having seen a good chunk of games this would be my point of view..

Direct Promotion- No chance

PLay offs- very very slim chance with current squad

Around mid table- more than likely

Relegation- slim chance

If we by chance got promoted there will be a lot more Sheff utds with even higher budgets and more cash to spend & Until we have a settled first 14 players who can make a difference and take games to whoever or whatever the opposition are and create chances despite the size of the opposition we are best growing slowly & maturing in this league, which would mean keeping the best on at end of season and improve on the players not cutting it (or likely to do so).

All this means we will lose games we will win some games with draws scattered around but for all the remaining games the first expectation is the players give 100% and try to hurt the opposition not just sit back for 75% of the game play give the supporters a reason to get off their seats most results will be criticised 2nd to this.

UTV- its who we are

I really felt sorry for Amoros yesterday. He's only been at the club for a matter of months and in a new country, yet puts his heart and soul into every game. Had a few other of our players have done the same (I'm looking at you in-particular, Jonesy boy) then we might not have got tonked even had we lost the game.

First twenty minutes was OK. Once United scored, they completely dominated until half time.

Early second half, I thought Vale looked bright, with Foley prominent in several bursts forward.

At 3-0, Jones had a shot very well saved.

However! Many problems:

For me, it was a tale of 3 corners.

Two for them; one for us.

How can the biggest player on the field be allowed to run unchallenged from 12 yards out and have what was essentially a free header?

Similar for the second, when he was unmarked 4 yards out.

The third, a corner for Vale ended up 4 v 2 as they cut us open.

Goal kicks are a big problem as Alnwick is forced to go long.

We just don't hold the ball up.

I see little contribution from Paterson in any of the forward arts.

In his defence, he is so isolated, with two wide players staying very wide and Foley gamely trying to catch up.

Grant was strangely muted.

My mate on the kop texted at half time and said 'good open game; you haven't parked the bus; good on yer':-(

Bright spots?

Amoros again impressed; he made many tackles and moves the ball quickly.

Erm, the linesman's flag?

There are worrying signs that we have been well and truly sussed.

Fair reflection of the game sfbt - the goal kicks went long as they man marked and the ball wasn't able to be played short to either streete or smith.

I had grief all night as me lad is a season ticket holder for the blunts but I found beer and tranquilisers made him bearable 😂

Archived