onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

10 Games

philmpv

Most of us on here said that we would be better able to judge Bruno and the new squad after 10 league games had been played, myself included.

Barring the away form (which cannot solely be down to the manager, given we were largely awful away last season too), I am 'very appy' with how things are looking.

We are trying to play football, the team are gelling more with every game (imho), and if we can just sort out the away form by grinding out draws if necessary, then this could be a VERY good season.

The signings made have, in the main, been proved to be astute, particularly the likes of Knopps, Tavares and Jones. Amoros, Shalaj, Pereira and Hart also look as though they will be very good at this level. Smith and Streete have been superb, and bravo to Bruno for giving both their chance, when it would have been all too easy to put his own signings in from the start.

At this point last season, we had 13 points, so although only 10 games in, it appears progress has been made in a very short period of time, considering it's a new team. We will know more on Saturday, when it's likely to be our largest gate of the season, against a team bottom of the league ('old' Vale would, almost invariably, not turn up for a game like that and lose).

Overall, I'm a happy man. I got a season ticket this season for the first time since the Horton days (having fallen out of love watching some of the dross under him, Sean McLare being a prime example), and am so glad that I did.

Advert

Before the season kicked off I said I'd reserve judgement until 10 games had passed. We're now at that milestone and I'm extending judgement day until 15 games, purely to see if Bruno can resolve the away form issue. I've seen enough at home to be very happy - what else could you be? - but away it's like Jekell & Hyde. However, the showings at home are good enough to suggest it's teething troubles and can be sorted so I'll give it another 5 games.

Clearly there can be no complaints about the home form. Making Vale Park a 'fortress' is a cliche but it seems like thats what its become over the last couple of seasons and Bruno has continued that. But not only that the football has been entertaining too. Thats a huge plus point for me.

Away form is a worry, if we are to have real hopes of going up then we need to be nicking some wins. Personally I thought the 2 points we picked up away were good results, but they've been puntucated by some bad performances away from home too.

I'm not sure that the success of Streete and Smith is solely down to the manager, both players deserve a lot of credit for how they've performed so far. They both came in to the preseason games and made the decision hard for the manager by playing really well. They have struck up an excellent partnership. On the subject of young players it refreshing to see the recent write up in The Sentinel for some of the other young lads, (Turner, Boote, Gibons and Reeves), the club seem to hold them in high regard and I can't recall that being the case in recent years with our crop of up and coming youngsters. If they can break in to the squad like Smith has then thats to our benefit in the long run.

I must admit that bringing in so many new faces and expect them all to gel worried me, but so far it hasn't been an issue and it looks like he's been fair with the squad - he hasn't picked the new lads just because they are his buys and that was something I feared would happen.

I think I'd pick out the additions of Knops, Tavares, Jones and Patterson being the pick of the whole bunch. Macintosh seems an able stop gap for Purkiss, even thought hes out of position and players like Pereira, Cecilia, Hart and Kiko look like solid squad players too. I'm reserving judgement on Mbamba and Forrester, but its not a bad ratio to say only a couple of the new lads look a touch out of their depth.

Also credit for shipping out Hooper too, I was against it when it happened, but so far its been a good decision for us I feel.

Also the existing players like Purkiss, Alnwick, Streete, Foley, Grant have stepped up to the mark too. It would have been easy for things to go south with so many changes at the club and I think they've been (in the main) solid for us. Lets hope we can keep it up.

Most of us on here said that we would be better able to judge Bruno and the new squad after 10 league games had been played, myself included.

Barring the away form (which cannot solely be down to the manager, given we were largely awful away last season too), I am 'very appy' with how things are looking.

We are trying to play football, the team are gelling more with every game (imho), and if we can just sort out the away form by grinding out draws if necessary, then this could be a VERY good season.

The signings made have, in the main, been proved to be astute, particularly the likes of Knopps, Tavares and Jones. Amoros, Shalaj, Pereira and Hart also look as though they will be very good at this level. Smith and Streete have been superb, and bravo to Bruno for giving both their chance, when it would have been all too easy to put his own signings in from the start.

At this point last season, we had 13 points, so although only 10 games in, it appears progress has been made in a very short period of time, considering it's a new team. We will know more on Saturday, when it's likely to be our largest gate of the season, against a team bottom of the league ('old' Vale would, almost invariably, not turn up for a game like that and lose).

Overall, I'm a happy man. I got a season ticket this season for the first time since the Horton days (having fallen out of love watching some of the dross under him, Sean McLare being a prime example), and am so glad that I did.

Good post. If you think Sean McClare was bad though be thankful you didn't see a lot of the rubbish under Foyle, Glover and Sinnott in midfield!

Really pleased with how things have gone so far. Smith and Streete wouldn't have been anybody's first choice pairing before a ball was kicked this season - Most were choosing Knops and Mac-Intosch, including myself. They've been a revelation. Knops has been solid and has adapted to our game no problem whatsoever. Tavares has quality and has replaced O'Connor in the side which was no easy task. The likes of Amoros, De Freitas, Pereira and Forrester clearly have bags of potential and should flourish once settled, while Jones has been superb, and to think many here wrote him off (somewhat understandably) before he even kicked a ball for the club because of his age and moreover lack of experience.

Yes, the away form, is still a concern. But we've scraped decent points away to the likes of Bradford, and the only hammering we got which was against a good Bury side was largely down to the elements on that day. We'll grind out a win sooner or later and hopefully from that will gain a bit more belief away from Vale Park.

i was sceptical about the squad/manager/chairman before the season started however i didn't condemn us to doom like some people did. to do that before a ball has even been kicked is madness

equally it's madness to give it the big one after 10 games just because we're doing better than most people expected

that being said, i am loving being fifth and hopefully we can be in a similar position come the end of next month after sheff u and bolton away.

This time last season after 10 games, Coventry and Bury both had 19 points and Colchester had 16 points. Where its nice to have the points on the board early doors, our away form is relegation form, where's our home form is promotion form, but sooner or later we wont keep winning at home, which will be a problem if we don't start winning away. If come Eater weekend were where we are now, then ill start believing.

i was sceptical about the squad/manager/chairman before the season started however i didn't condemn us to doom like some people did. to do that before a ball has even been kicked is madness

equally it's madness to give it the big one after 10 games just because we're doing better than most people expected

that being said, i am loving being fifth and hopefully we can be in a similar position come the end of next month after sheff u and bolton away.

I think its called a glimmer of hope and we haven't had much of that since a long time ago, all we can do at this early stage is cling onto that, and maybe just maybe. Lets not get to carried away but on the other hand long may it last. UTV

Great post . This Saturday under the previous managers would have seen a crowd of 6000. Everyone bringing their pals etc etc and we slip up on a big banana skin. Saturday will either be same old vale and that has gone on for way to long and seen off many regular supporters. Saturday is an important game. There has been way too many false dawns for people's patience.

Without grant it will be very tough.

A win will see some fans come back and crowds grow

Anything less and nothing changes

I was very pessimistic before the start of the new season but I've been pleasantly surprised from what I've seen so far. We're not perfect but we're decent and a breath of fresh air to watch.

Some of the players I really worried about when I saw them in pre-season haven't had too much game time thankfully. We've kept a core together of under contract players from last season and they have helped to form a decent backbone that we've built around. The rest of that backbone has been the Streete-Smith partnership in central defence, and I doubt even the most optimistic of fans would have predicted the success of that.

Agree with that Santa. After ten games I have to say that I have really enjoyed the home games.I also enjoyed the home games last season, under Page, as well.They were a big improvement following the Adams era.Obviously the away games have been disappointing-similar to last season. So the acid test is away from home.Can Bruno sort it?

Great post . This Saturday under the previous managers would have seen a crowd of 6000. Everyone bringing their pals etc etc and we slip up on a big banana skin. Saturday will either be same old vale and that has gone on for way to long and seen off many regular supporters. Saturday is an important game. There has been way too many false dawns for people's patience.

Without grant it will be very tough.

A win will see some fans come back and crowds grow

Anything less and nothing changes

Sorry but that's cobblers.

If we fail to win, we've had a truly excellent start to win all home games so far. Nothing can change that but to say if we fail it's some kind of disaster is just nonsense. **** happens in football!!

Home form has been excellent and the football has been really entertaining and enjoyable. You can really see Bruno's philosophy and ideas and its proving effective at home. As Bruno himself has actually said in his programme notes, he needs to find a way to adapt his philosophy to be more effective away from home. Having said that, from what I gather the Swindon, Peterborough and Bristol Rovers performances weren't bad despite only getting one point from them. The only real bad performance we've had in the league was at Bury public baths on Gigg Lane.

Archived