onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 1 referees

philmpv

To be fair, the amount of money pumped in is most likely a problem. The going rate for L1 referees is pretty awful too, so it's not really surprising the quality it attracts. It's basically a bit of pocket money on the side.
I thought there were about 30 professional/full-time refs and the rest were part-timers, I suppose a matter of economics. Could L1 and L2 afford full-time refs, or is it a matter of their training/assessment which is the problem?

Advert

I thought there were about 30 professional/full-time refs and the rest were part-timers, I suppose a matter of economics. Could L1 and L2 afford full-time refs, or is it a matter of their training/assessment which is the problem?

I'm not sure on how many full-time there are, but from what I've seen, the pay for some is very low. Even for some Championship games. Some also appear to be as & when/casual in terms of the contracts too.

Yes thats football, Grants No. One for drawing the fowl likes Thomas. The ref then as to make decision , he could not have been that bad as both camps complaining ,people in Bycars shouting for offside decision, so what chance officials go of appeasing all. Any way I enjoyed game, both half,s thought there goal was well worked and could have had 2 but Smith made brilliant goal line clearance,But 2nd half we showed them the way, great win and good game of football

I agree a lot of our players seem to go down very easily looking for it. The referees will be wise to it and this won't help our case. Every foul isn't a yellow card offence and every thing doesn't always go out way. I don't think the referee was perfect but I thought he was ok yesterday too.

I have never in my 50 odd years seen a Referee protect a player who committed at least 3 yellow card offences,proved by the lad getting subbed at half time before he was sent off.

I too give the benefit of doubt but yesterday he abused the privilege.

To be fair, the amount of money pumped in is most likely a problem. The going rate for L1 referees is pretty awful too, so it's not really surprising the quality it attracts. It's basically a bit of pocket money on the side.

I can only find one source (the National Careers Service of all places) with any info about the payment of Football League referees. It says that refs in leagues below the Championship get paid between £300 and £500 per game. So not much!

I can only find one source (the National Careers Service of all places) with any info about the payment of Football League referees. It says that refs in leagues below the Championship get paid between £300 and £500 per game. So not much!

dose that include there expenses like travel food hotel I don't thick it dose so 500 plus per game his not bad

Also how much time is spent on analysis of their performance and improving their skills?

A referee's assessor sits in the stand and writes a report on every game.

I thought he was rather lenient with them in the first half when he might well have booked players earlier and possibly even shown one of them a red card.

I suppose he would say he was giving them the opportunity to keep 11 on the pitch and in his view the fouls were niggly rather than nasty.

That apart, I don't think any decisions really affected the outcome and he got most right. The female linesperson on the Railway side, 2nd half, seemed competent.

It is a very difficult job because the game is so fast now and you have a split second to make a decision and only one quick view of it. I tend to defend referees. I just thought he was a bit too lenient and let too much go in the opening half an hour. We've had much worse.

I thought the referee had a good game and I thought the linesman on the lorne street side is one of the best in the FL.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Their number 16 is the one who the ref spoke to, then got a yellow card after he looked to have trod on Grant's ankle.

Their number 6 did get a yellow card for persistent fouling, then did another foul which the fans wanting him to be sent off - it wasn't a yellow - correct decision, would've been a harsh yellow IMO.

All 4 of the Gills players who got a yellow were playing on the right against Jerome Thomas!

I thought the referee had a good game and I thought the linesman on the lorne street side is one of the best in the FL.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Their number 16 is the one who the ref spoke to, then got a yellow card after he looked to have trod on Grant's ankle.

Their number 6 did get a yellow card for persistent fouling, then did another foul which the fans wanting him to be sent off - it wasn't a yellow - correct decision, would've been a harsh yellow IMO.

All 4 of the Gills players who got a yellow were playing on the right against Jerome Thomas!

Probably as planned, if so what a nasty team, but as commented close to me on Saturday just professional fouls. Why not persistent team fouling?

Archived