League 1 referees

philmpv

Yes thats football, Grants No. One for drawing the fowl likes Thomas. The ref then as to make decision , he could not have been that bad as both camps complaining ,people in Bycars shouting for offside decision, so what chance officials go of appeasing all. Any way I enjoyed game, both half,s thought there goal was well worked and could have had 2 but Smith made brilliant goal line clearance,But 2nd half we showed them the way, great win and good game of football

Advert:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree a lot of our players seem to go down very easily looking for it. The referees will be wise to it and this won't help our case. Every foul isn't a yellow card offence and every thing doesn't always go out way. I don't think the referee was perfect but I thought he was ok yesterday too.

I have never in my 50 odd years seen a Referee protect a player who committed at least 3 yellow card offences,proved by the lad getting subbed at half time before he was sent off.

I too give the benefit of doubt but yesterday he abused the privilege.

To be fair, the amount of money pumped in is most likely a problem. The going rate for L1 referees is pretty awful too, so it's not really surprising the quality it attracts. It's basically a bit of pocket money on the side.

I can only find one source (the National Careers Service of all places) with any info about the payment of Football League referees. It says that refs in leagues below the Championship get paid between £300 and £500 per game. So not much!

Advert:

I can only find one source (the National Careers Service of all places) with any info about the payment of Football League referees. It says that refs in leagues below the Championship get paid between £300 and £500 per game. So not much!

dose that include there expenses like travel food hotel I don't thick it dose so 500 plus per game his not bad

Also how much time is spent on analysis of their performance and improving their skills?

A referee's assessor sits in the stand and writes a report on every game.

I thought he was rather lenient with them in the first half when he might well have booked players earlier and possibly even shown one of them a red card.

I suppose he would say he was giving them the opportunity to keep 11 on the pitch and in his view the fouls were niggly rather than nasty.

That apart, I don't think any decisions really affected the outcome and he got most right. The female linesperson on the Railway side, 2nd half, seemed competent.

It is a very difficult job because the game is so fast now and you have a split second to make a decision and only one quick view of it. I tend to defend referees. I just thought he was a bit too lenient and let too much go in the opening half an hour. We've had much worse.

I thought the referee had a good game and I thought the linesman on the lorne street side is one of the best in the FL.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Their number 16 is the one who the ref spoke to, then got a yellow card after he looked to have trod on Grant's ankle.

Their number 6 did get a yellow card for persistent fouling, then did another foul which the fans wanting him to be sent off - it wasn't a yellow - correct decision, would've been a harsh yellow IMO.

All 4 of the Gills players who got a yellow were playing on the right against Jerome Thomas!

I thought the referee had a good game and I thought the linesman on the lorne street side is one of the best in the FL.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Their number 16 is the one who the ref spoke to, then got a yellow card after he looked to have trod on Grant's ankle.

Their number 6 did get a yellow card for persistent fouling, then did another foul which the fans wanting him to be sent off - it wasn't a yellow - correct decision, would've been a harsh yellow IMO.

All 4 of the Gills players who got a yellow were playing on the right against Jerome Thomas!

Probably as planned, if so what a nasty team, but as commented close to me on Saturday just professional fouls. Why not persistent team fouling?

Advert:

You must have been watching a different game. The number 6 should have been booked in the first minute when he nailed Thomas and handballed the ball out of play, but the ref gave a throw in. He then persistently and professionally fouled Thomas another 4/5 times before he got a booking then continued to do it after and the ref simply had a word.....Woeful. It pretty much says it all when he was subbed at half time, he shouldnt have been on the pitch to replace.

He missed the penalty first half when foley was pulled down. He didnt give a blatant free kick but then had a word with the lad when play stopped about the challenge!! One of the worst we have seen at VP.

That's not far off. From what I've seen, you're looking at anything between £100-£180 for a L1 game, but they do get expenses paid too usually, so roughly anything from £200-£350 in total. Either way, it's nothing really, when you consider some of the L1 player wages paid.

pretty much volcano got it spot on..on his view of the ref.

The incident when we could have had a foul,then he spoke to the player once game had stopped...was actually spot on.

The ref gave US a advantage as we were on the attack at the time,and again did the right thing in having a word with the player once ball was out of play.

All spot on in the laws of the game.

And yes im a ref myself.

Sometimes us fans see things different when decisions go against us..even when correct to do so.

Advert:

refs money isnt much, when you think the refs you see have gone the system travelling all over the country,for lower league games,then onto non-league pryamid system..then to get onto the football league for hardly anything. Thanks less job..for no reward.

I had to decide against going for it myself...as couldnt give the time up they demand,still had some excellant fixtures tho.

Not true. The persistent infringement rule applies in two circumstances; when the same player commits multiple fouls and when the same player on a team is fouled multiple times by different players. In the case of the latter, if the same player is being fouled multiple times the captain is called over and warned that the next player to foul Player X will get booked for persistent infringement.

Not true. The persistent infringement rule applies in two circumstances; when the same player commits multiple fouls and when the same player on a team is fouled multiple times by different players. In the case of the latter, if the same player is being fouled multiple times the captain is called over and warned that the next player to foul Player X will get booked for persistent infringement.

And he did speak to various players with their captain present, however their No.6 was a nailed on red after he hammered Thomas from the 1st minute, that could have been red but TBF I thought that the linesman had a better view of it but gave us a throw in.

Archived