onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 1 referees

philmpv

I thought the referee had a good game and I thought the linesman on the lorne street side is one of the best in the FL.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Their number 16 is the one who the ref spoke to, then got a yellow card after he looked to have trod on Grant's ankle.

Their number 6 did get a yellow card for persistent fouling, then did another foul which the fans wanting him to be sent off - it wasn't a yellow - correct decision, would've been a harsh yellow IMO.

All 4 of the Gills players who got a yellow were playing on the right against Jerome Thomas!

You must have been watching a different game. The number 6 should have been booked in the first minute when he nailed Thomas and handballed the ball out of play, but the ref gave a throw in. He then persistently and professionally fouled Thomas another 4/5 times before he got a booking then continued to do it after and the ref simply had a word.....Woeful. It pretty much says it all when he was subbed at half time, he shouldnt have been on the pitch to replace.

He missed the penalty first half when foley was pulled down. He didnt give a blatant free kick but then had a word with the lad when play stopped about the challenge!! One of the worst we have seen at VP.

Advert

I can only find one source (the National Careers Service of all places) with any info about the payment of Football League referees. It says that refs in leagues below the Championship get paid between £300 and £500 per game. So not much!

That's not far off. From what I've seen, you're looking at anything between £100-£180 for a L1 game, but they do get expenses paid too usually, so roughly anything from £200-£350 in total. Either way, it's nothing really, when you consider some of the L1 player wages paid.

pretty much volcano got it spot on..on his view of the ref.

The incident when we could have had a foul,then he spoke to the player once game had stopped...was actually spot on.

The ref gave US a advantage as we were on the attack at the time,and again did the right thing in having a word with the player once ball was out of play.

All spot on in the laws of the game.

And yes im a ref myself.

Sometimes us fans see things different when decisions go against us..even when correct to do so.

refs money isnt much, when you think the refs you see have gone the system travelling all over the country,for lower league games,then onto non-league pryamid system..then to get onto the football league for hardly anything. Thanks less job..for no reward.

I had to decide against going for it myself...as couldnt give the time up they demand,still had some excellant fixtures tho.

It was clear that they were bringing down Jerome Thomas when he got the ball, however it was DIFFERENT players who were doing it so couldn't book individuals for persistent fouling.

Not true. The persistent infringement rule applies in two circumstances; when the same player commits multiple fouls and when the same player on a team is fouled multiple times by different players. In the case of the latter, if the same player is being fouled multiple times the captain is called over and warned that the next player to foul Player X will get booked for persistent infringement.

Not true. The persistent infringement rule applies in two circumstances; when the same player commits multiple fouls and when the same player on a team is fouled multiple times by different players. In the case of the latter, if the same player is being fouled multiple times the captain is called over and warned that the next player to foul Player X will get booked for persistent infringement.

And he did speak to various players with their captain present, however their No.6 was a nailed on red after he hammered Thomas from the 1st minute, that could have been red but TBF I thought that the linesman had a better view of it but gave us a throw in.

I thought the ref last Saturday had a good game overall and let the play flow helping the entertainment. However, his outlook on how to ref led to him not dealing with the persistent fouling of Gillingham in the first half soon enough. So I mark him down for that and in particular some of the tackling on Jerome Thomas was designed to cause injury and put him out of the game.

Archived