onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Millwall

Tomo

Advert

Just wondering if anyone has read this in the news, have been following it for the past week or two as I know a Millwall fan, but this is the first time I've seen it in national news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37306839

Hopefully will get a head of steam up to oppose the scheme, they have not been there long so what has changed? Likely the Govt and the Mayor will have to approve it so should have plenty of time. Not quite the same as the Vale being forced out of Hanley, but the loss of the car-park and options to expand/develop for themselves restricts their future.

• 4 months later...
Sounds to me like a sensible use of land to ease the chronic housing shortage. A new station serving the ground and potentially more fans on your doorstep--why aren't Millwall looking at this proposal more positively?

I think the proposal would mean that there wouldn't be a football club in the borough if it goes through so a new station, more fans etc is irrelevant. Also, the financing for the project looks dodgy to put it mildly. Surely the best solution is for the club to remain and the land around the ground developed.

Sounds to me like a sensible use of land to ease the chronic housing shortage. A new station serving the ground and potentially more fans on your doorstep--why aren't Millwall looking at this proposal more positively?

If you read up on it a bit more, gives you some insight into the impact it would have on the club. Even in that original BBC article alone, it states how they'd be using the land around the ground, like the Millwall community trust & car parks would be overtaken by the property developers.

Also there has been false claims of funding etc, there's lots of articles out there about it, & almost everyone has opposed the plan but the council (including the local & national media):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/tim-farron-millwall-plans-scrapped-charity-revelations

I'm delighted that the proposal has been shelved. It was clearly extremely dodgy and allegedly Councillors lining their own pockets.

I know we all have rivalries in football but I'd like to think they are generally friendly ones and that we don't genuinely wish ill on other clubs. After all, we're all football fans and part of the same family (the club we support is purely just a coincidence of birthplace and/or circumstances).

In these situations I always think what it would be like if this was happening to Vale.

So, for those reasons, I am delighted that Millwall have not been forced out of their home and that common sense appears to have prevailed.

I'm delighted that the proposal has been shelved. It was clearly extremely dodgy and allegedly Councillors lining their own pockets.

I know we all have rivalries in football but I'd like to think they are generally friendly ones and that we don't genuinely wish ill on other clubs. After all, we're all football fans and part of the same family (the club we support is purely just a coincidence of birthplace and/or circumstances).

In these situations I always think what it would be like if this was happening to Vale.

So, for those reasons, I am delighted that Millwall have not been forced out of their home and that common sense appears to have prevailed.

I'm now confused. I din't read it that Millwall was being 'forced' out of its home--I thought the development proposal was for land surrounding and adjacent to the ground?

You have added another dimension Rob, by suggesting that there is some (allegedly) dodgy dealings by some local councillors. Surely, the world has to move forward and space for desperately needed housing found using all sorts of imaginative ideas and schemes? I admit to not knowing much of the full detail of the proposals re. Millwall, but in general terms, development to alleviate the chronic shortage of housing in this country has to be considered in a variety of locations, both in-towns and out of towns? This at first glance, appears to be an extension of recent suggestions to utilise out of town retail parks as a novel and imaginative use of 'brown field' sites for starter homes/apartments.

Let them come and build in Stoke-on-Trent there's plenty of brown field/waste land here it looks like somebody drop a ---- (insert word) on it. When HS2 is up and running it will only take just over an hour to get to London. plus the home's will be cheaper.

I'm now confused. I din't read it that Millwall was being 'forced' out of its home--I thought the development proposal was for land surrounding and adjacent to the ground?

You have added another dimension Rob, by suggesting that there is some (allegedly) dodgy dealings by some local councillors. Surely, the world has to move forward and space for desperately needed housing found using all sorts of imaginative ideas and schemes? I admit to not knowing much of the full detail of the proposals re. Millwall, but in general terms, development to alleviate the chronic shortage of housing in this country has to be considered in a variety of locations, both in-towns and out of towns? This at first glance, appears to be an extension of recent suggestions to utilise out of town retail parks as a novel and imaginative use of 'brown field' sites for starter homes/apartments.

It wasn't the actual stadium but outlying land containing things like the academy. Without them it would have been impossible for Millwall to remain. In an article in the Guardian the club said it wasn't viable to remain as the land purchase would result in closure of the academy and community trust. I think they obviously felt that with the ground hemmed in with housing there would be no expansion potential and access problems.

Sent from my XT1563 using the onevalefan mobile app

Used to live across the road from the ground on that housing estate shown on the maps. The area around the ground is a real dump and can be re-developed. South Bermondsey has a huge potential as an area as Lewisham and Peckham have recently seen huge redevelopment.

However, the businesses within the local area should be safeguarded, with new units and long-term rental agreements in place for all existing businesses.

Theres no need for an overground station. Surrey Quays and Canada water are litterally ten minutes up the road (I did this walk every day), and the South Bermondsey station is linked to London bridge in 10 mins with a very regular service. There is a good system in place for away fans visiting the ground from SB station.

• 1 year later...

Archived