onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Bradford City v Port Vale

robf

Just got back home from the game. It was a comfortable draw for the team. We could have snatched a victory at the end with half chances for Forrester and Mbamba. Defensively very sound. Smith solid; Knopps can definitely defend and Purkiss ever reliable. Grant man of the match by a country mile across both teams. Tavares also impressed me whilst Foley worked his socks off. We looked livelier when Forrester and Mbamba came on. We do though need a striker. Excellent result which shows we can hack it in this division.

Advert

It was only one game of course, but defensively we looked so much better and more organized than we ever did under Page. Smith was excellent and looks like he's got a future beyond League One in the game in regards to his potential. Knops was solid, especially when you consider he's a center-back, while Streete justified the managers selection. Purkiss ever reliable as someone above me stated.

In midfield Grant got better and better as the game went on. When he's on his game he's one of the best midfielders in this division - If only he could score one or two more! Tavares has some ability but needs time to get used to the pace of the football over here of course, same with De Freitas. But it's clear to see that both of them are very solid additions to the squad. Foley faded but is an important player for us - A better Doug Loft in my opinion.

Up front Cicilia worked hard but struggled on his own, as to be expected somewhat. I just have a feeling he won't be someone who scores many goals for us though, certainly not beyond 10 in the league. Thomas isn't match fit but will get better and will be an asset once he gets going. The subs were lively when they came on and added a bit of pace up top that we were badly missing at times. Not bringing Hooper on was a strange decision in my opinion but for all we know he could have a niggling injury. I think his pace and directness would have really benefited us though against a tiring Bradford side.

Overall it was a real team performance that shows we still have a good spirit within the club despite all the new foreign players. Had we not we would have got beat comfortably by a team that's fancied by many this season. For me were crying out for a Bridge-Wilkinson type player, someone that can create a chance or score a goal from nothing. That type of player could make a big difference to us. Also, in regards to Mbamba, I don't think anyone is trying to make him a scapegoat, so stop talking nonsense. He simply looked somewhat poor in pre-season and nowhere near ready for competitive football at this level - Though he did alright when he came on today to be fair to him and did get himself in a position to have half a chance. He's not an 18 year old kid, people shouldn't forget that, even if he looks it.

Agree with Beechy's and Fraggle's analysis. How anyone can grumble about a point at Bradford is beyond me. We looked better as the game went on and aside from the Alnick save and Streete clearing off the line first half can't think of any other worrying moments. Think Grant and Smith were standouts, though that we be unfair to the others. I was a little surprised to see Mbamba, but he got involved at both ends, sprinting back to get in a great tackle when Purkiss was faced with a 2 on 1. My one criticism is that Cicillia doesn't look like he has goals in him. The ball was literally bouncing off him and he doesn't win enough headers for someone of his size. That said, he is reasonably good on the deck, so be interesting see him with someone alongside him.

Went today not feeling confident but have come away fairly pleased.

Holding onto Grant is the priority. Best player on the park by miles, especially second half. The back 4 all did their job, with Streete growing into the game as time wore on. Knops was very solid.

In midfield, Grant and Tavares will do well this year. Foley was quiet but worked hard, think he is more suited to a deeper role. The wingers both struggled. Cicilia was poor, and isn't ready to start as a lone striker.

Mbamba actually did better than I thought and contributed a bit, tracking back decently. He should have scored and his touch is poor but he was willing and direct. Forrester gave us more mobility up top, Pereira didn't do much in limited time.

We look good defensively, for all the crosses they had and the creaming Bantams are doing they only had a shot on target, and Alnwick had nothing to do second half bar catch a couple of crosses (and flap at one).

If we sign the right striker and the defense builds on this, we could be alright this year.

It was only one game of course, but defensively we looked so much better and more organized than we ever did under Page. Smith was excellent and looks like he's got a future beyond League One in the game in regards to his potential. Knops was solid, especially when you consider he's a center-back, while Streete justified the managers selection. Purkiss ever reliable as someone above me stated.

In midfield Grant got better and better as the game went on. When he's on his game he's one of the best midfielders in this division - If only he could score one or two more! Tavares has some ability but needs time to get used to the pace of the football over here of course, same with De Freitas. But it's clear to see that both of them are very solid additions to the squad. Foley faded but is an important player for us - A better Doug Loft in my opinion.

Up front Cicilia worked hard but struggled on his own, as to be expected somewhat. I just have a feeling he won't be someone who scores many goals for us though, certainly not beyond 10 in the league. Thomas isn't match fit but will get better and will be an asset once he gets going. The subs were lively when they came on and added a bit of pace up top that we were badly missing at times. Not bringing Hooper on was a strange decision in my opinion but for all we know he could have a niggling injury. I think his pace and directness would have really benefited us though against a tiring Bradford side.

Overall it was a real team performance that shows we still have a good spirit within the club despite all the new foreign players. Had we not we would have got beat comfortably by a team that's fancied by many this season. For me were crying out for a Bridge-Wilkinson type player, someone that can create a chance or score a goal from nothing. That type of player could make a big difference to us. Also, in regards to Mbamba, I don't think anyone is trying to make him a scapegoat, so stop talking nonsense. He simply looked somewhat poor in pre-season and nowhere near ready for competitive football at this level - Though he did alright when he came on today to be fair to him and did get himself in a position to have half a chance. He's not an 18 year old kid, people shouldn't forget that, even if he looks it.

You should stick to posting on vale you talk so much more sense! Seriously mate from what I saw that's a great analysis.

I think he (Cicilia) has a bit of Peter Crouch about him. Crouch was awful in the air for someone of his height and yet technically was excellent, certainly miles better than you would expect to look at his gangly frame. I think he'll be alright with Hooper or Forrester alongside him, and might even turn out to be more of a creator than goal-scorer.

What amazes me is that the two defenders we have had as managers Adams and Page have never been able to get the defence right BUT and i know its early days it seems like Bruno is on top of it,i mean defending 11 corners against a big Bradford side.Midfield looks like what he is working on now,a bit at a time,get in the right winger and a striker who will bang 20 goals in and who knows we might again surprise a few

I thought we were very good defensively and had resilience which got us a point I don't think we would have got last year. Grant gave a 12/10 performance. Going forward we lost posession a lot in the final third and only occasionally threatened. I feel 433 was giving us resilience but when attacking we didn't having anyone wide to spread the play or to cross. I thought Cicilla did alright and showed some good skill in the first 30 minutes but faded. However as a big guy he needs some crosses and he didn't get many and the one he did get I remember second half was thigh high which he directed goal wards but wide. The players are technically better than last year and better organized - we even managed the game well slowing the pace in the heat and we were 5% fitter in the last 10 and could have knicked one. Pleased overall.

Archived