onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinelcoverage

Which Sentinel readers don't already know about Vale? A match report is pretty much the only decent thing the sentinel do for vale anyway so nothing has changed apart from the sentinel no longer reporting on nonsense that hasn't happened shining a bad light on the club. If the sentinel need to make stuff up to sell papers then they can make stuff up about Crewe or Stoke then see how long they last at those clubs.

What have they made up?

Advert

They couldn't cover the press conference because Norman had banned them.

Find me another newspaper that pays for access to the press box at Vale.

Has Norman had to pay for his tickets to the Sentinel Awards evenings??

They have done so on numerous occasions in the past including sponsoring a stand for a few seasons. Which other newspaper which currently has free access to the press box has done that?

Surely the role of a newspaper is to report the news, not to act as a mouthpiece for the club. If the stories which come out of the club are positive the Sentinel report them as such. I asked you before to find negative stories from the Sentinel and you couldn't come up with a single one from a Sentinel reporter.

If you don't read the paper, how on earth can you pass judgment on whether the stories it prints are negative, positive or anything else? That sentence alone makes a mockery of everything else you have said on this issue.

How do you know that if you don't read the paper???

Thanks for your in depth responses to my threads, you must have a very busy Sunday. I've spent longer than I want to talking about this subject, which I'm sure many people agree with. Its the same people who love pointing the finger at Smurf whenever possible.

Perhaps I used the wrong words to describe my interactions with the sentinel. I do look on their website every now and again to see if I have missed any vale info. I dont usually get anything new, but its hard to keep up on here when so many people insist on depthy arguments. My feelings on this is that there is a long standing issues between the club and the chairman. Perhaps this predates Smurf but I think the tone of newspaper has clearly been Anti Smurf. Perhaps this is down to interpretation but this is my opinion on the matter.

During this off season I have been doing my best to keep up with the goings on at the club, and the lack of communication directly from the club has been a failure. Ive been living in Japan and so getting clear information has been challenging. What I found was that the best information I got was from radio stoke on twitter and signal two interviews on audio boom. I found the reporting by the sentinel overly negative. To be clear, I describe the reporting by the sentinel as anything under the port vale link on the sentinel website. This includes, for me, guest writers such as Robbie Earle, Tom Pope and Phil Sherwin. If you disagree with this, thats fine.

From the last ten pages ive found 9 titles which I find to be negative about the club. I understand that there will always be negative stories about any club or subject. I dont want the sentinel to be a mouthpeice for the club, but I do belive they are airing on the negative side instead of the positive. We all know the media have an agenda, particularly true for the daily mail which I believe are still part of the same organisation as the sentinel? Again I could be incorrect about this too.

I do think however the sentinel could paint information in a better light. For example, not positing about Peter Farrell without finding out the facts. Instead, they posted he was waiting for his contract to be accepted and then that he wasnt coming to the club because Smurf hadnt been in touch. Thats not the same story as what Smurf said and also many users on here pointed out that it could actually be down to his agent. The sentinel jumped at the chance to paint Smurf as the bad guy.

I cant post the links to the site as its killing my macbook, I cant even type this thread without it lagging back, hence the multiple spelling and grammar mistakes. But I think it would be easy enough to go back through 10 pages on the site and pick up on the 9 i'm talking about.

As a conclusion, I would like the sentinel to come back and start writing positive journalism. For what its worth, Rob writes a balanced view on the goings on here and I think the sentinel could follow his lead, which I actually believe says a lot about the state of journalism in the sentinel itself. For what its worth, I am also a content writer for a website but non football related.

Think theres been enough talk on this subject, and so i'm out

:thankssign::thankssign:

Thanks for your in depth responses to my threads, you must have a very busy Sunday. I've spent longer than I want to talking about this subject, which I'm sure many people agree with. Its the same people who love pointing the finger at Smurf whenever possible.

Perhaps I used the wrong words to describe my interactions with the sentinel. I do look on their website every now and again to see if I have missed any vale info. I dont usually get anything new, but its hard to keep up on here when so many people insist on depthy arguments. My feelings on this is that there is a long standing issues between the club and the chairman. Perhaps this predates Smurf but I think the tone of newspaper has clearly been Anti Smurf. Perhaps this is down to interpretation but this is my opinion on the matter.

During this off season I have been doing my best to keep up with the goings on at the club, and the lack of communication directly from the club has been a failure. Ive been living in Japan and so getting clear information has been challenging. What I found was that the best information I got was from radio stoke on twitter and signal two interviews on audio boom. I found the reporting by the sentinel overly negative. To be clear, I describe the reporting by the sentinel as anything under the port vale link on the sentinel website. This includes, for me, guest writers such as Robbie Earle, Tom Pope and Phil Sherwin. If you disagree with this, thats fine.

From the last ten pages ive found 9 titles which I find to be negative about the club. I understand that there will always be negative stories about any club or subject. I dont want the sentinel to be a mouthpeice for the club, but I do belive they are airing on the negative side instead of the positive. We all know the media have an agenda, particularly true for the daily mail which I believe are still part of the same organisation as the sentinel? Again I could be incorrect about this too.

I do think however the sentinel could paint information in a better light. For example, not positing about Peter Farrell without finding out the facts. Instead, they posted he was waiting for his contract to be accepted and then that he wasnt coming to the club because Smurf hadnt been in touch. Thats not the same story as what Smurf said and also many users on here pointed out that it could actually be down to his agent. The sentinel jumped at the chance to paint Smurf as the bad guy.

I cant post the links to the site as its killing my macbook, I cant even type this thread without it lagging back, hence the multiple spelling and grammar mistakes. But I think it would be easy enough to go back through 10 pages on the site and pick up on the 9 i'm talking about.

As a conclusion, I would like the sentinel to come back and start writing positive journalism. For what its worth, Rob writes a balanced view on the goings on here and I think the sentinel could follow his lead, which I actually believe says a lot about the state of journalism in the sentinel itself. For what its worth, I am also a content writer for a website but non football related.

Think theres been enough talk on this subject, and so i'm out

:thankssign::thankssign:

Thanks for replying so sensibly, Emile. I would make one final point though. You say you have looked at the last 10 pages of Sentinel Vale stories and found 9 negative stories. I don't know if it's the same on your Macbook but on my screen there are 20 stories per page so 10 pages equals 200 stories. If only 9 are negative I would not regard that as the Sentinel having a downer on the Vale. Quite the reverse I would have thought.

Thanks for replying so sensibly, Emile. I would make one final point though. You say you have looked at the last 10 pages of Sentinel Vale stories and found 9 negative stories. I don't know if it's the same on your Macbook but on my screen there are 20 stories per page so 10 pages equals 200 stories. If only 9 are negative I would not regard that as the Sentinel having a downer on the Vale. Quite the reverse I would have thought.

I have ten per page, so 10%. Not a huge number but it is noticeable for me. I would love for the sentinel to come back to reporting the games but I really belive they must change their approach to the club.

Jacko I have always supported your posts on here as respect your opinion on matters. As a side note, when I so see your opinion published on the sentinel I have always agreed with you also.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why then, when a ticket has been purchased, have they been denied access to the press box?

To be honest, I don't care why, I will be attending matches at Vale Park as I have done for the last 55 years whether or not the Sentinel report on The Vale or not.

I have ten per page, so 10%. Not a huge number but it is noticeable for me. I would love for the sentinel to come back to reporting the games but I really belive they must change their approach to the club.

Jacko I have always supported your posts on here as respect your opinion on matters. As a side note, when I so see your opinion published on the sentinel I have always agreed with you also.

Thanks Emile. Most of the stuff in the Sentinel is my better half, not me so I'll let him know you think he's ace! I believe the Sentinel will continue to send a reporter to all the Vale games. The fact that the report of yesterday's game is not online is a technology issue, not that they did not have a reporter there.

All of this was reported in the Sentinel, including a main pack bage story on Bruno's appointment, despite being banned from the press conference: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale/story-29422124-detail/story.html

You won't have seen this though, because you don't read the paper.

There are loads of stories about new players coming in, all of them talking up the new signings.

You won't have seen these though, because you don't read the paper.

:clap::clap::clap:

who cares about the sentinel, its sadly a dying local paper, i heard they give it away for free at the bus station, the only reason its alive is because of local advertising and announcements not on actual paper sales.

why do we need them? the club isnt dependent on them in any way, if vale actually do get to the championship are we going to need the sentinel? any information on vale can be found faster online on here or on the clubs social media, all this crap is many people over 40 moaning about how the past used to do things.

the only thing that would be nice is a neutral write up, but the sentinel wasnt neutral and the reports wasnt exciting anyway, the match player scores for example was always off and clueless, hopefully vales social media division can do match write ups and cut them out all together lol.

who cares about the sentinel, its sadly a dying local paper, i heard they give it away for free at the bus station, the only reason its alive is because of local advertising and announcements not on actual paper sales.

why do we need them? the club isnt dependent on them in any way, if vale actually do get to the championship are we going to need the sentinel? any information on vale can be found faster online on here or on the clubs social media, all this crap is many people over 40 moaning about how the past used to do things.

the only thing that would be nice is a neutral write up, but the sentinel wasnt neutral and the reports wasnt exciting anyway, the match player scores for example was always off and clueless, hopefully vales social media division can do match write ups and cut them out all together lol.

Thats right,kick another local business into touch,lets close it down and let the club promote its own propaganda.

You mean people actually use the sentinel to advertise something they are trying to sell... wow... who would have thought it?... with all this social media about too

Thats right,kick another local business into touch,lets close it down and let the club promote its own propaganda.

propaganda? LOL! is smurf kim jong un? just saying if vale was to report its own matches they would be very positive to give the club a good image even if we lost, i know positivity is kryptonite to guys like you, we arent in the 1930s now lads, welcome to the new age.

You mean people actually use the sentinel to advertise something they are trying to sell... wow... who would have thought it?... with all this social media about too

lol why are you butthurt because 1 sports team doesnt have a direct link to a local paper, dont cry dude, my point is the sales are low and their profit is made from other ways, even if they excluded vale completely the paper missing one small news paragraph and a player piece on vale which is about 1-2 pages isnt exactly the end of the world is it.

Archived