Bring him home!

j_grainger10

The term legend is as we know very overused. For me it can be a player who been with a club a long time and been a good player/servant hence Roy Sproson as one example or also players who are excellent for your club and are perhaps the best player you've ever seen in a certain position even if they weren't at the club that long as they moved on to bigger and better things(ala Steve Guppy perhaps?)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The term legend is as we know very overused. For me it can be a player who been with a club a long time and been a good player/servant hence Roy Sproson as one example or also players who are excellent for your club and are perhaps the best player you've ever seen in a certain position even if they weren't at the club that long as they moved on to bigger and better things(ala Steve Guppy perhaps?)

Exactly Bon'Ami :smile:

My biggest fear about bringing pope back is that he will tarnish his reputation of being a hero of yesterday.

Whilst respecting your views, my fear is that we will never know what we might have had for a reasonable price, and provided all conditions are met as posted previously (ie Bruno happy, reasonable wage, no fitness issues).

It's really up[ to the club/Smurf/Bruno etc. and most of all the player to risk their 'hero' reputation - but remember nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm sure you wouldn't actually lose any sleep if Tom and the club decide to risk his 'hero' status, but it was a subtle way to say you don't want him back and one or two other posters could learn from that !

Interesting what people mean by the word 'legend'.

For me, it's got to be either length of service or something outstanding and not just pretty good for a few seasons.

Roy Sproson fits the definition better than most.

John Rudge also.

Perhaps Robbie Earle for his goal that took us up to the Championship after many decades, and his 9 years here. The same for Foyle. Who will ever forget the 3-1 win at Brighton when half of Burslem was on the pitch!

Pope was a good player for us but I wouldn't put him in the category of legend.

It doesn't look as if we've got the funds or space in the squad for either Pope or Tyson anyway.

Paul, I guess the question can be answered by saying 'how long is a piece of string'.

Certainly, and without a shadow of doubt Roy Sproson is top of the list.

However, and my opinion only, in addition to the 1954 team others I consider legends include; Walter Aveyard, Harry Poole, Phil Sproson, Andy Porter, Andy Jones, Dean Glover, Ray Walker, Neil Aspin, Martin Foyle, Terry Miles, Stan Steel, Bert Llewelyn, to name just a few.

Like I say, it's a personal selection, and as much as I like Tom Pope I consider his efforts for all things Port Vale as memorable, not legendry.

Barry :smile:

AR, I agree it is very much personal opinion, I tend to go more with tangibles, number of games played, number of goals scored etc.

Paul, I guess the question can be answered by saying 'how long is a piece of string'.

Certainly, and without a shadow of doubt Roy Sproson is top of the list.

However, and my opinion only, in addition to the 1954 team others I consider legends include; Walter Aveyard, Harry Poole, Phil Sproson, Andy Porter, Andy Jones, Dean Glover, Ray Walker, Neil Aspin, Martin Foyle, Terry Miles, Stan Steel, Bert Llewelyn, to name just a few.

Like I say, it's a personal selection, and as much as I like Tom Pope I consider his efforts for all things Port Vale as memorable, not legendry.

Barry :smile:

But don't you think that players only become legends further on in time? You never tend to get a legend that is still playing. Maybe in 30-40 years he will be seen as a legend. I doubt at the time some of those mentioned above were seen as legends?

Time moves on, are there such players as legends in the modern game for Port Vale? The way football is these days players rarely stay (at Vale in particular) more than 3 or so seasons. Will someone like Dodds be seen as a legend for the time he was with us? Can players only be legends at a time/period where the club is relatively successful??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR, I agree it is very much personal opinion, I tend to go more with tangibles, number of games played, number of goals scored etc.

Would you consider Marc Richards a legend considering he scored more goals than Pope?

Would you consider Marc Richards a legend considering he scored more goals than Pope?

I think it's more of the fact he's a local lad who loves the Vale, & was top scorer in the season when we got promoted, which for some people, is the greatest achievement of any player they've seen, in also the greatest Vale team they've seen in their lifetime.

It would be for me too, however I also understand what the term 'legend' means to some older fans, especially as I was brought up being shown a lot of older footage (lots of the 90s stuff too), & told about our history a fair bit. But you can't really criticize fans for having a different interpretation of the term, whatever it says in the dictionary.

Plus nowadays, players like Sproson etc are incredibly rare, considering how the game has developed & that players moving around is now the norm. It's probably going to be a long time until we witness another like that (if we ever do!), so it's understandable that people will throw the term around a bit more.

For me Marc Richards was a good goal scorer for PVFC but what sets Tom Pope apart and makes him a legend is the 31 goals in the 2012/13 season which got the club promoted, a standout feat. Also, that season TP equaled the vale record of fastest to 30 goals in a season. MR never scored that many goals in a season for PVFC.

Sign him back up can't do any harm

the harm is the fact it costs the club money and takes another striker out of play who could be alot more useful long term for the club or even better than him, hes also not inform and might not able to operate at this level or operate at a high level ever again giving his recent performances so its a risk even taking him back.

id prefer short contracts for both pope and tyson but would pick tyson over pope as he has more potential.

id prefer short contracts for both pope and tyson but would pick tyson over pope as he has more potential.

I understand preferring tyson to pope, but not because of having more potential. Isn't he something like 4 years older than pope?

If you post this, a link really is needed , otherwise it is cheap hearsay and panders to the sort ofd reply the next poster made.

I would had Pope not deleted the tweet. It said that Cacelia wouldn't get into his pub team and something about Pope scoring the same amount of goals even if he didn't play all season.

Like I said.. It's been deleted.

Archived