onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bring him home!

j_grainger10

Advert

In a brotherly sort of way I love Tom and his contribution to all things Port Vale are - in my opinion - memorable not legendry.

Do I believe he should return to PVFC? Answer = no.

More importantly it's what Smurf wants, and if the price was right I think Tom would be back again.

Time to move on :smile:

Post of the year thread, the voice of reason as always!

Wouldn't you prefer someone who want to play with passion and heart for the club he supports...Or a money grabber who yes may be a decent player but has no passion.

Depends how good they actually are. If we want pure passion, we might as well use 11 fans on the pitch

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Which is what I said, Glover (the elder) isn't remembered for his goals 'cause he didn't score any/many.

You said this....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post

Being the "hero of yesterday" will never be tarnished, the numbers and history can't be erased or altered.

I don't see where goals came into it, you are either a legend or you ain't and certain things can damage such status.

In a brotherly sort of way I love Tom and his contribution to all things Port Vale are - in my opinion - memorable not legendry.

Why not legendary, out of interest, apart from Roy Sproson, who would you consider a vale legend and why?

Do I believe he should return to PVFC? Answer = no.

More importantly it's what Smurf wants, and if the price was right I think Tom would be back again.

Time to move on :smile:

A sad statement in it's own right as it should be Bruno who wants not Smurf.

Why not legendary, out of interest, apart from Roy Sproson, who would you consider a vale legend and why?

A sad statement in it's own right as it should be Bruno who wants not Smurf.

Bruno seems to be signing the players he wants to. Who has Smurf signed since Bruno got here? Or just another cheap dig at Smurf?

You said this....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post

Being the "hero of yesterday" will never be tarnished, the numbers and history can't be erased or altered.

I don't see where goals came into it, you are either a legend or you ain't and certain things can damage such status.

"Being the Hero of yesterday etc" refering to Tom Pope, the number of goals he scored in the promo season made him a Vale legend 'cause without his goals Vale wouldn't have got promoted, it cannot be disputed. Wasn't he FL player of the year that year or something similar, how many Vale players have achieved that.

On the other side of the coin if TP had played in that promo team and scored

Bruno seems to be signing the players he wants to. Who has Smurf signed since Bruno got here? Or just another cheap dig at Smurf?

Not a cheap dig at Smurf at all, my reply was to AR's post, "More importantly it's what Smurf wants".

It is my view that the manager/coaching staff/scouts should be responsible for recruiting players and only the players the manager in particular wants should be bought to a football club, it shouldn't be a Director of recruitment or a Chairman or anyone else, no harm in anyone suggesting a player but it should be the manager who has the final say.

It should indeed I completely agree' date=' that said the final decision as with all clubs will be down to the money men.[/quote']

Of course but I must admit in life if I really want something and can't afford it I always pose the question as you never know!! sometimes it does work.

Paul, I guess the question can be answered by saying 'how long is a piece of string'.

Certainly, and without a shadow of doubt Roy Sproson is top of the list.

However, and my opinion only, in addition to the 1954 team others I consider legends include; Walter Aveyard, Harry Poole, Phil Sproson, Andy Porter, Andy Jones, Dean Glover, Ray Walker, Neil Aspin, Martin Foyle, Terry Miles, Stan Steel, Bert Llewelyn, to name just a few.

Like I say, it's a personal selection, and as much as I like Tom Pope I consider his efforts for all things Port Vale as memorable, not legendry.

Barry :smile:

Paul, I guess the question can be answered by saying 'how long is a piece of string'.

Certainly, and without a shadow of doubt Roy Sproson is top of the list.

However, and my opinion only, in addition to the 1954 team others I consider legends include; Walter Aveyard, Harry Poole, Phil Sproson, Andy Porter, Andy Jones, Dean Glover, Ray Walker, Neil Aspin, Martin Foyle, Terry Miles, Stan Steel, Bert Llewelyn, to name just a few.

Like I say, it's a personal selection, and as much as I like Tom Pope I consider his efforts for all things Port Vale as memorable, not legendry.

Barry :smile:

Completely agree AR, I'd add Robbie Earle to that list too.

Archived