onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bring him home!

j_grainger10

If he came back I would support him and the team. However when past players have come back (although in the main they have come back as part of the coaching/management team), things haven't gone well and they tarnish their status as Legends, so I don't.think he should come back.

Advert

I'm not saying we don't need his type of player nor someone with solid experience of the English game at this level..just don't advocate him cos of his connections with the club/area and what he did previously. It's a new era, a new dawn, too much has changed at the club for his previous time at VP to mean anything....without those connections and what happened before would people be suggesting him as what we need? Seen it all before with people advocating former players as manager/coach based on their previous association with the club and where has that got us.

In the right circumstances, Tom Pope could be the bridge between the 'old' and 'new' Vale you describe.

Despite the massive changes, much remains as before - the fans, the ground, the traditions of the club, and Tom has the advantage of knowing these and guiding our promising new stars on their great new journey - but as I said before, it has to be fine with Bruno and a few others, and done carefully.

Can only think of one person recently who left and came back and was better 2nd time round and that's Micky Adams. Or pope if you count his first spell on loan. Anyone ever left twice and came back and been better 3rd time around?

In the right circumstances, Tom Pope could be the bridge between the 'old' and 'new' Vale you describe.

Despite the massive changes, much remains as before - the fans, the ground, the traditions of the club, and Tom has the advantage of knowing these and guiding our promising new stars on their great new journey - but as I said before, it has to be fine with Bruno and a few others, and done carefully.

we already have browne for that with greater experience on and off the pitch in terms of management as well, he also has smurfs trust

Tom Pope may only be 30 but plays like he's 35 because he's not looked after himself. Is that the kind of example we want to set for our new batch of players? I think not.

I loved his contribution in the promotion season and the 1st season in League 1 but he quickly went downhill after that and also started to whinge and moan about everything that happened on the pitch. These two issues make it a no from me. We cando better.

I would like to see us move forward, not go back. That is not to detract from Tom's contribution to the club or his work rate and effort, but we do need to develop a new set of players and give the manager time to blend and build on pitch leadership.

I believe that Tom lost his motivation from the day that he was pushed out of Port Vale. I simply can't believe the short memories that many on here have of Tom.

Yes he was brought back too soon after his injury and his performances suffered but as well as his goal tally when he was fit I remember the guy who constantly ran himself into the ground to keep the Vale in L1 especially when he almost singlehandedly got us the point against a good Preston team that for me gave the team the momentum to crawl to safety.

Surely if we can bring him home for reasonable wages then it could be a great move for both parties. No disrespect but Tom was never going to bust a gut after being forced out of the club. For the cynics out there who said that he could of stayed at the Vale I ask would you work on for a 60% pay cut with the owners barbed comments ringing very loudly in your ears?

I can't believe my eyes when reading that first line ! He was a professional footballer who had just been given a 3 yr contract at Bury FC on as good or better money - why in gods name would a PROFESSIONAL footballer loose his motivation. Is that why Bury cant be arzzed to keep him because he isn't motivated ? I think your love of the man is having a negative impact on how others see your point of view

If Smurf wants to pay his or part of his wages to come back then that's ok with me. He will be an asset to the club. If he gets himself really fit again he will be a threat, he may have to settle for a place on the bench but he can play a big part in the dressing room and would always be a threat coming off the bench when other options are not working.

I've seen him today at Peak animal park wanted ask him but was with wife and daughter so thought it be abit rude. I'd like him back personally there will definately be times when we need a Pope type player on the pitch but it depends on how much we have to pay him and nobody could blame the lad for wanting the rest of the money he's contracted for he has a family care for and as a man i certainly know what I would do.

Archived