onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Christopher Mbamba signs

valeparklife

I like I expect many Vale fans were anticipating the Vale to mount a strong push for the play-offs/promotion by adding 3-4 quality Championship level signings to last seasons squad. The last two times Vale have been promoted from tier 3 we've had at least 3 or more high quality Championship level players in the promotion team, the likes of Ray Walker (who many would say was first Division quality), Robbie Earle, Bernie Slaven, Ian Taylor, Dean Glover etc etc.

The squad as it stands at the moment has no players of this quality, perhaps Grant at a stretch, perhaps Tavares based on his pedigree and it's unlikely the other signings will be near that quality given the level of football they've come from and it's their first season in English football. Nothing against the new lads I'm sure they'll try their best and they'll have my support .

But I'm disappointed and concerned at the summer shenanigans at PVFC, the chances are that the Chess playing Smurf has played a "Fools mate.

I think we will have to wait until the January window to see if Norman is to push the boat out to clinch a promotion bid. Equally the mood may be different by then.

Advert

Jean, the absolute rule no.1 for any manager is never to sign a player you have not seen play.

In Ian Taylor's case I watched him for 3 games before John came with me for his approval.

I was discussing this earlier with a mate. A lot of players can look good playing against poor opposition so you need to be able to see signs that they can do something at a higher league.

I'm not sure how you can successfully gauge a player's level based on their performances in Portuguese/Dutch/Norwegian lower leagues. As a scout you either need to know exactly what you're doing and be good at it, or you run the risk of making a huge mistake.

I was discussing this earlier with a mate. A lot of players can look good playing against poor opposition so you need to be able to see signs that they can do something at a higher league.

I'm not sure how you can successfully gauge a player's level based on their performances in Portuguese/Dutch/Norwegian lower leagues. As a scout you either need to know exactly what you're doing and be good at it, or you run the risk of making a huge mistake.

Exactly.

Yes of course I am, I am really pleased that I spent £345 on a season ticket so I can make myself miserable on a regular basis. Not to mention the away games I am planning to go to.

the thing is though you do sound miserable on a regular basis, weve won four nil, yeah it was just necastle town, but we still won and kept a clean sheet, cant you at least take one positive from it?

First half team looked pretty much like an Evo Stick league team apart from Grant and Foley.

They didn't though did they. In my opinion Tavares was much better than both you mention. It's the first friendly, the first time they've played together and nothing more than a fitness exercise.

They didn't though did they. In my opinion Tavares was much better than both you mention. It's the first friendly, the first time they've played together and nothing more than a fitness exercise.

yeah but the trouble is fans like rampant zebra expect instant perfection and instant results, it's the old classic really, if we were third in the premiership and literally on the brink of champions league football and potentially playing juventus away people would still be unhappy, probably say

'juventus is to far'

Some of the new signings looked like they needed a lot of fitness work.

Theres a huge difference between lacking in fitness and lacking in quality.

The most important thing for me today was that we had no injuries, the boys had some game time to understand each other's game style and we regulated the fitness of the squad. I thought the first half side showed little signs of lack of fitness and possibly a lack of understanding with each other. But I would expect this with the big changes at foot. The second half was much better, Forrester has massive potential, and could be a real gem if we can get him signed. Pereira was exciting too, a real energy to his game. Overall, I liked what I saw as a primary observation. Still lots of time for Bruno to implement his plans for the club and I'm sure by August we will have a real feel as to where we are in terms of the new season.

Archived