onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bruno Ribeiro v Ricardo Moniz ?!?!

eepiegum

Notts County fan here in peace - honestly IN PEACE!!

I'm fascinated by what's happening at Vale.

(1) the appointment of Bruno Ribeiro on a 3 year contract - a manager with no experience of English football.

(2) the exit of many players based in the UK who are experienced in English league football .

(3) the recruitment of relatively unknown overseas imports, with no experience of English league football.

The parallel with Notts County's experiment last season, is uncannily similar. We appointed the Dutchman, Ricardo Moniz, on a 3 year deal. He had coached at Tottenham but had no managerial experience of English football and minimal knowledge of lower league football.

We shipped out a lot of older experienced pros and replaced them with relatively unknown overseas imports from Holland, Belgium, France and Slovenia. Three of the players were ex-internationals: Julian Jenner, Gill Swertz and Stanley Aborah.

To start with the vast majority of our fans were wildly optimistic. Some of the players were great to watch, great skills and technique but always at the back of your mind was a nagging little voice saying: aren't they a bit light-weight for the lower leagues.

We played some really exciting, attacking football, particularly at home. The away form was poor and it soon became clear that our overseas imports were not really up for the fight, not fit enough to cope with the intensity, all action and physical challenges of lower league football.

The defending at times was kamikaze in its carelessness. Defending set plays became a nightmare. We could batter a team for 75 minutes, play them off the park and then let in a soft goal from a corner or a long throw.

As you know Moniz was sacked after Xmas. I for one was sad to see him go. For me, his team was a breath of fresh air. I loved the entertainment, the gung-ho all out attacking football but that old cliché that football is a results game, proved to be his downfall.

I shall be watching Vale's results - the Ribeiro experiment - with great interest. I genuinely hope it is a success. I for one am sick to death of hoofball - i've seen too much of it. One thing is for sure, under this new setup, Vale will try and play football .

Good luck this season, I hope your bravery pays off !!

:smile:

Advert

Cheers eepiegum. I think (hope) that we haven't changed our defence around too much, as we still have the same goalkeeper, right back and holding midfielder, plus Nathan Smith who was Player of the Year last season at Torquay. A lower level admittedly, but hopeful that he will be able to handle himself physically.

Interesting times for both clubs, County look to have recruited well for that division, certainly the 3 you have from us will do fine at that level. Indeed, they weren't dreadful at this level, just not good enough to progress further than mid table.

I have a mate who is a County fan and I've told him that the 3 players you have from Vale are going to do well for you this season. Hopefully you have other squad members to compliment what skills the ex-Vale lads will bring to you.

We, too are fascinated at present what our nutcase owner is trying to do! Having watched Vale for over 30 years I am so used to hoof ball and broken promises etc that it is a refreshing change to see and hear our new regime wanting to play attractive football. We are old and wise enough to recognise that our "experiment" may fall flat and we will become the laughing stock of Division1. However, we MAY just come good and prove exciting, excellent ambassadors in exiting the Division(the correct way!). Either way it's going to be interesting to say the least.

I will keep up to date with your results too and hopefully we will be playing each other again soon, in Division!

No offence taken, although some of us on here have been expressing our concerns over exactly the same points you have made so well above.

It will certainly be interesting - one way or another.

On paper, you look to have assembled a really good squad of players and the 3 lads you have got from us are good solid pros.

Duffy is a bit slow but reads the game well and talks a lot.

Dicko is a real 100% player and the fans will warm to his wholehearted efforts.

O'Connor was a class act 12 months ago but dipped a bit last year. However, he's a better player than Div 2 level, I'm sure.

Your new manager knows the ropes and understands what's required.

County must be worth a 50p bet to go up.

Thanks very much for your insight, your views have already been expressed on here as a general view, but your depth of knowledge is welcome if a little frightening, but like all football fans we live in hope. Were his assistants already in the club and able to advise him of L1 style, as it looks as if he went full blast in continental ways? I have enjoyed quite a few matches at Meadow Lane in the past with workmates, living just down the road. As does our Chairman who I would hope would have been fully aware of the happenings at Notts, or could he not see for the Trees. All the Best for the new season.

Good luck to Notts County, a Brazilian fan of Port Vale, hope to see the two teams playing soon in the same room, which is in League One or Championship

The Notts County is well known in Brazil, has had several reports about the club on television, on the Bruno Ribeiro is risky a foreign coach, but it is a way the club to try something different.

I think a lot of us deep down have similar concerns(i.e. foreign manager in lower leagues history says it doesn't work!) although personnally I'm positive as I wasn't a fan of our previous manager(awful away form and the teams approach was too negative) however our finishing position was about what I expected for Vale as a club all things considered so swings and roundabouts.

Your views on Moniz are interesting as I thought as a complete outsider he'd been close to an abject failure(baring in mind I never saw you play under him and just saw the league position and thought it was poor for a clubs of Notts County's stature) but obviously you did play some good stuff at times so there were some positives.

Thanks for the input and all the best for the new season I've always enjoyed my trips to Meadow Lane and days/nights out and weekends in Notts(a great city imo) so would love to see you back up in League One as I've always seen Vale and County as similar size clubs in the modern age.

(1) the appointment of Bruno Ribeiro on a 3 year contract - a manager with no experience of English football.

(2) the exit of many players based in the UK who are experienced in English league football .

(3) the recruitment of relatively unknown overseas imports, with no experience of English league football.

The parallel with Notts County's experiment last season, is uncannily similar. We appointed the Dutchman, Ricardo Moniz, on a 3 year deal. He had coached at Tottenham but had no managerial experience of English football and minimal knowledge of lower league football.

We shipped out a lot of older experienced pros and replaced them with relatively unknown overseas imports from Holland, Belgium, France and Slovenia. Three of the players were ex-internationals: Julian Jenner, Gill Swertz and Stanley Aborah.

To start with the vast majority of our fans were wildly optimistic. Some of the players were great to watch, great skills and technique but always at the back of your mind was a nagging little voice saying: aren't they a bit light-weight for the lower leagues.

We played some really exciting, attacking football, particularly at home. The away form was poor and it soon became clear that our overseas imports were not really up for the fight, not fit enough to cope with the intensity, all action and physical challenges of lower league football.

The defending at times was kamikaze in its carelessness. Defending set plays became a nightmare. We could batter a team for 75 minutes, play them off the park and then let in a soft goal from a corner or a long throw.

As you know Moniz was sacked after Xmas. I for one was sad to see him go. For me, his team was a breath of fresh air. I loved the entertainment, the gung-ho all out attacking football but that old cliché that football is a results game, proved to be his downfall.

I shall be watching Vale's results - the Ribeiro experiment - with great interest. I genuinely hope it is a success. I for one am sick to death of hoofball - i've seen too much of it. One thing is for sure, under this new setup, Vale will try and play football .

I feel confident that we will have the same outcome as County. I'm already preparing for a season to endure.

I'll be over the moon to be proven wrong and will happily hold my hands up if that's the case.

Interesting read, i do like gung ho all out attacking football as youve stated, our season could go either way, hope it goes the right way, im actually confident that it will.

V T I D!!!!!!! super vale away.

How nice to read an intelligent thread started by a thoughtful fan of another club who has taken three of our players. Such a nice change from some of the childish rubbish from some of the immature keyboard warriors. I cannot add to what has been said before, the potential benefits and threats have been well and truly aired. Let's see how we go.

Cheers eepiegum. I think (hope) that we haven't changed our defence around too much, as we still have the same goalkeeper, right back and holding midfielder, plus Nathan Smith who was Player of the Year last season at Torquay. A lower level admittedly, but hopeful that he will be able to handle himself physically.

Interesting times for both clubs, County look to have recruited well for that division, certainly the 3 you have from us will do fine at that level. Indeed, they weren't dreadful at this level, just not good enough to progress further than mid table.

That settled defence maybe the key difference.

Ricardo Moniz would've played with a rush goalie if it was allowed - he was so committed to attacking football. In the league Cup, we led 3 times at Aston Villa, who played most of their ' star ' names but then we succumbed to defensive errors.

As for this season, I am happy with our experienced signings but i'm keeping the optimism on a slow burn - we've had so many 'false dawns' !

How nice to read an intelligent thread started by a thoughtful fan of another club who has taken three of our players. Such a nice change from of the childish rubbish from some of the immature keyboard warriorsI cannot add to what has been said before, the potential benefits and threats have been well and truly aired. Let's see how we go.

Thanks Essex Vale. I wasn't sure how my post would be received. Trust me we have plenty of the: "the childish rubbish from immature keyboard warriors" on our own board !!

Archived