onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Enoch Andoh set to depart Vale Park

News Feed

The ultimate bottom line in his whole 2 year career ... 1 goal no assists. Bags of potential will be interesting to see if he is ever fit and ever realises it.

I think I saw every game Andoh played last year and in that time we played some fantastic football. I've never seen a winger work as hard as he did. He terrified people.

It's very easy to quantify a player's contribution purely through goals and assists, but Andoh offered us a hard-working, creative outlet who was only ever going to improve with regular football.

Advert

Letting him go is a risk, keeping him is also a risk.As G4E there were doubts about his output in terms of assists and goals, but if you watched him play he stretched the pitch for us and teams started doubling up on him when they worked out he was a big danger. That left other players with more space to play. I think we missed him after he got injured for that reason more than anything else.

I have no doubt if he recovers fully he'll go on to be a good player. There's just that niggling doubt in me that I don't think the recovery process has gone as well as we'd hoped (It's a hunch based on the level of effort Smurf has put in to keep someone he brought to the club). For that reason, overstretching ourselves in my opinion for this particular player would be a very risky move.

I agree with the point that Andoh was certainly a good creative outlet to get the ball up the pitch. His pace gaves us that outlet when clearing a corner for example that we could potentially break with speed and on a pitch like VP that was useful. I think a couple of times he won a penalty or against Wigan got their CB sent off as he fouled him when he was through. Obviously these things don't go downs as assists on a players record as Hagrid says but they did perhaps contribute to us winning a game in the long run.

I'm not saying Andoh was wonderful as his end product was largely poor and needed a lot of work but I remember thinking while I was watching the game at Shrewsbury(as one example) a player with his pace would really have put the willies up them as when we attacked we just didn't move the ball quick enough or with any urgency!

The guy has played 10 good games and was well on the road to nowhere when we took him on. No guarantee he will recover from his injury. He would only be a long-shot punt for a club at a higher level. I suspect he had been ill advised, after an injury like he had a 2 year contract is pretty generous.

Totally agree, dunner think he's worth getting into a frenzy over, who says he would of recovered from that injury, who actually knows he would of become a star asset? and correct his career was going nowhere before he came to us.

Is this a case of agent wanting a bigger fee and advising their player the grass is very green on the other side, when it actually isn't?

Would have liked him to stay with the Vale, but there are always other players wanting to play regular football. Good luck to him and hope it does not fall like other players have done when they have left Vale for the riches.

I see it another way, he hasnt played for 12 months, who says he will come back as good as he was last season? (which wasnt that good, 16 games, 1 goal, 1 assist.) Massive risk to give him a well paid contract when theres a chance he could A) breakdown during rehab or B) not be the same player due to fear/lack of confidence in how strong his knee is.

Or C) get fit score 15 + goals and be player of the season, but I guess we will never find out now.

I think I saw every game Andoh played last year and in that time we played some fantastic football. I've never seen a winger work as hard as he did. He terrified people.

It's very easy to quantify a player's contribution purely through goals and assists, but Andoh offered us a hard-working, creative outlet who was only ever going to improve with regular football.

The point I'm expressing is that while he was an exciting talent with bags of potential (anyone who saw him play would like him to be starting vs Bradford), that potential isn't yet realised. Keeping him will be a big risk for a number of reasons:

1. He will be available on a free after his next contract and his injury was so bad its a long way off guaranteed he will play at the same level again - so the longer the contract the more risk you have an injured player on the books costing money.

2. 12 games is a small sample size to offer a player a very high percentage of your wage budget - he could end up being injured for most of most seasons we keep him.

3. We don't know for certain if the potential will fully develop.

I have no idea what he's been offered .... but I can understand why we've offered less than he (more likely his agent) wants. From a career point of view I think he should have taken a 2 year deal with us, got his injuries sorted out, develop in to the player I think he could be and then make a killing as a Bosman free at the end of his contract when he'd only be 25. We might have got a transfer fee at the end of next season I guess but we'd have been a forced seller with a year left on his contract and I couldn't see a club paying a big fee for someone at Christmas with a couple of months game time at best after a serious injury. Offering a 3 year contract after that injury wouldn't have been sensible from the club's point of view. It wouldn't shock me if he ends up signing - as he's in for a bit of a shock when he gets no pay check this month, losses his rehab support and no club can sign him because he won't pass a medical!

Agreed but if we had double it and then he doesn't get over the injury it's money wasted especially when it's a 2 year contract. He would probably have been better accepting and then if his career did progress he could have slapped in a transfer request.

If he didn't recover from his injury then he'd be getting compensation from the FA and no doubt his contract cancelled. Not sure if we as a club would get compo too though.

2. If anyone believes a League One player was on £250 per week, they must believe the moon is made of cheese.

You'd be surprised.

According to someone on twitter he was on £250 a week now he's been offered £500 a week seems a large increase for someone who has been injured and only played a handful of games but on the other hand weren't Spurs sniffing round him reportedly last year so ok take a hit and try and negotiate more of what he's after and cash in £££ when he's up to strength and playing how he was.

For me I thought he was an exciting winger who got you off your seat...not seen since we had Mark Chamberlain, Guppy and McCarthy

Archived