onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Books about the Vale

mr.hobblesworth

Dave Johnson is in the process of producing a book of Vale stories and anecdotes from fans and players. It should be out in time for you all to get one in your Christmas stocking!

Have you contributed? I remember you saying on here how you'd bought Rudgie a lottery ticket for the Vale. One of my favourite ever posts on here, that was.

Advert

I really like that one too. Never even knew about his second one until Santa mentioned it on here and there's no sign on ebay. Someone's selling a fair few Vale books, including Bernie Slaven's autobiography, and they're quite cheap at the moment, but no sign of that one. Any idea what it was called? Was it the same publisher?

Just to add - in addition to "No Ordinary Season" I have a second Vale book in progress.

I'm not going to give too much away but it's not about a specific time or player and should be available for (optimistically) August, probably more realistically between then and the end of the year.

If anyone is interested in "No Ordinary Season" in the meantime, it can be found here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-ordinary-season-Rob-Fielding/dp/1291426892?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Just to add - in addition to "No Ordinary Season" I have a second Vale book in progress.

I'm not going to give too much away but it's not about a specific time or player and should be available for (optimistically) August, probably more realistically between then and the end of the year.

Ooh, give us a hint...

Ooh, give us a hint...

It's not to do with OVF but involves some elements of OVF along with some original research. A well-known face from yesteryear has agreed to do the foreword. It would have been done sooner but the OVF crash/new server stopped it in its tracks. That's all you're getting...

• 1 month later...
What are the best ones?

I used to really enjoy the Jeff Kent ones, particularly the Port Vale Tales and The Port Vale Record ones. Does JK still write books? I think he may have burned his boats by supporting Valiant 2001 during their last few months.although that 'what if' book looks ok. Some of his earlier books go for a few quid sometimes.

I have a couple of Vale related autobiographies, namely by Denis Dawson (ex Groundsman - RIP) and Ray King (goalkeeper in the famous early 1950s team). Both are really great.

Then there are a few cheapo-ish A-Z style books full of facts that most people already know.

Peter Swan's autobiography has a bit of Vale stuff in it but not enough to warrant a purchase. Then there's the long mooted Rudgie autobiography, if it ever gets published.

Owt else?

I'm glad you've enjoyed my books.

I'm currently in the middle of a series of books about English hills (in Staffordshire, Cheshire, etc), but am also working on a new Vale history and encyclopaedia.

I haven't burned any boats, though it became apparent that others had burned theirs. At the 2011 EGM, I argued that the shareholders should keep their shares to retain a say in the running of the club. Now we, the supporters, have no voice, but that's what the majority wanted and so I accepted it.

What If There Was No Port In The Vale by Jeff Kent is quite interesting despite its bloody awful title.

I'm glad you liked the book. The title is a little different than you've written and I thought it was rather apt, myself, which was why I so named it!

I have seven Vale books,

The Valiants' Years.

Port Vale Tales.

Port Vale FC an A-Z.

Port Vale Grass Roots.

Men of Steele.

Port Vale Miscellany.

This Side Up 2012-2013.

I love reading them all,particularly Denis Dawson's Grass Roots and I can't wait for the latest one from Dave Johnson to be published.

Archived