onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why has the club gone so quiet

jeff1966

345 - 365 =20

Is it?:laugh: Wrong way round fella.

I knew when I saw Smurfs tweets last night that some people would say the bloke can't win, he doesn't say something he gets grief, he does say something he gets grief too. I can't believe the huge lack of intellect from people saying such nonsense. It isn't one or the other, speak nonsense or say nothing at all. His ramblings on twitter are embarrassing. He doesn't inform people, he tries to belittle them and gets into arguments with them (these are potential customers don't forget). At one point he said "in 3 weeks you'll look silly" to one bloke. That's such an unprofessional and unacceptable way to speak to people you want to spend money at your club. He should be building excitement, not arguing with the very people he needs to attract to the club.

Another thing that is seriously doing my head in is all these pompous people that make out that if you don't have a season ticket you're not a fan. Or the numerous times I've seen people post "so called fans". Are you thick or something? Again these are potential customers, you're not better than them. Buying a season ticket isn't an obligation. The moment the club takes that approach is the moment it starts to stand still and lose fans. The proof is in the pudding, that has been the clubs stance for a couple of seasons now, and what have we seen? Attendances dropping year on year. We should be trying harder to attract more fans to buy season tickets, not arguing with them, threatening them and then abusing them when they don't. I hate it when I see people post, "the club is better off without so called fans like you", NO WE ARE NOT!! If we all want what is best for the club, then we need more people to attend and buy season tickets. If they decide not to, we need to look at ourselves and keep trying ways to sell more next time. If it doesn't work again, we evaluate and try again the year after. To just write it off as, tried everything they won't come that's it, is not good enough. People keep referring to the hardcore, well every year the number of season tickets drops, so does that hardcore support.

Advert

Machinst - He has come out and said 3rd week of Jun and been slated for that - no matter what he would have said, there would be people on this forum which would slate him to being too quick or taking too long. If he put pleasantries in front of the message there would be people moaning about it.

If he had a manager in by next week, there would be people saying he did it too fast and should have took longer. Looking at 3rd week of Jun and people are slating him for taking too long. He just cant win - hence catch 22 situation.

I am hoping that he will sort out a manager before then as this would allow him time to put a team together before the friendly matches start. Bookies already have us favourite to go down again.

he said that in a rushed post on twitter which has 4,500 followers, it also doesnt come up on his tweets section, it comes up in his replies so you have to hunt it down and actively look on his replies which is about 10 posts ago in-bedded in a load of other rants and random stuff, if you have a active twitter account which you would follow hundreds or thousands, you might not even see that post at all on your timeline and if you checked his twitter page it wouldnt hit you in the face because its not on retweets or tweets that he made first which show as soon as you load the page, yet if proper official professionally done news was posted on the site by the chairman would be seen by all and update the fans clear as day, but sadly this isnt it.

lets jump to a extreme here for a example, granted some clubs have nearly all the world media backing them but can you imagine leicester or man city posting official club news to keep their fans in touch on a rambling gaff prone twitter account? it would be a disgrace, why is the principle any different.

Far to much to expect something like this to be mentioned on the clubs official (next to pointless & useless) web site.

^^

I am a firm believer that social media outlets are a very useful tool.... rendered useless if a tool is using them.

If the focal/contact point of the club is the official webpage then nothing should be released via other media until it has appeared on there

100% agree, why cant he just be a professional chairman for christs sake, he has official social media for the club that he controls so being misquoted or screwed over is impossible he cant use that excuse, why do we have to hear news from hearsay or hunt down scraps.

Christ The people on this message board get worse. When the chairman speaks they moan when he doesnt speak they moan. In my opinion , no news is good news and i am sure they will have someone appointed within a fortnight. Any longer and then we can start moaning.

you miss the point entirely, why cant he just use some public relation skills and act like a professional, hes supposed to be the chairman of a professional football club.

Machinst - He has come out and said 3rd week of Jun and been slated for that - no matter what he would have said, there would be people on this forum which would slate him to being too quick or taking too long. If he put pleasantries in front of the message there would be people moaning about it.

If he had a manager in by next week, there would be people saying he did it too fast and should have took longer. Looking at 3rd week of Jun and people are slating him for taking too long. He just cant win - hence catch 22 situation.

I am hoping that he will sort out a manager before then as this would allow him time to put a team together before the friendly matches start. Bookies already have us favourite to go down again.

3rd week of June...got it he's after Roy Hodgson he'll be home by then.

i dont know how a business man in the twilight years of his life with years of experience cant do a mature neutral statement/communicate with his customers.

i agree on the page thing, there seems like the only hope/positive PR coming from the club was page and now that hes gone i feel the void already, the next manager probably needs to become the face of hope and positive thinking for the club like page was because norman doesnt give hope or positivity out in any form.

as a guy in my 20s i know not everyone is used to social media or posting stuff on websites etc but they had letters and newspapers right... lol, a keyboard has exactly the same layout as a typewriter yea? all he has to say is something like this for a statement.

• big load of polite crap on about previous season
  • thanks everyone for support
  • working hard behind the scenes on a range of issues for next season
  • in communication with different people who are interested, nothing is set in stone at the moment, everything looks promising
  • maybe hints at something, possibly someone experienced for example
  • assures the decision will be in the best interests of the club
  • says it wont be long and will make a announcement when something concrete is happening
  • thanks supporters again for everything and asks for ounce of patience

hardly catch 22 is it... keep people in the loop, that would take less than 10 minutes, could put it on the vale site which he controls, repost it on twitter, job done, he controls all the PR within official channels no one gets misquoted or screwed over, welcome to 2016 norman.

that would please everyone and show hes a adult who can act like it, its really not hard lol even if its all utter nothing... other businesses and clubs do it all the time, to say he cant is just baffling, but whatever, his quality as a chairman reflects from his actions in my opinion.

sadly when you back people into a corner who feel like theres no hope/positivity or they arent being listened to/the club isnt being run right and their only method or feeling of being heard or having any control is to zip up with their wallets and then you asked for it really because you should have fans jumping to buy them. i dont even think the ST holders are bothered about giving the money, the issue for most people will most likely be bigger and it isnt down to being a fan or not, you expect something to be done with your money, the same mentality is going on at prem clubs with walk outs and protests etc.

the chairman needs to ask himself why and change the situation around, thats his "job", i cant really see the chairman doing that because his people skills are poor, instead he plays the silent martyr/victim card instead, when hes in a good mood though he might pull out the savior card, i dont think any of the above are a healthly relationship to have with the fans nor is being disconnected or being even being seen as anti social towards your fans isnt a good situation to have either and doing nothing to fix it isnt either.

#rant over

that is true without doubt but its still important to the overall scheme of things and for the club to win matches.

So you apply for a new job externally and the new company starts to blab that you've applied. What would you think of the new company, what would your current employers think of you if they found out, if you didn't get the job what do you think your future prospects would be at your current employers.

Alternatively, you're tapped up by a new company and that new company starts to blab they have approached you, not very professional by the new company and I would imagine you'd be furious.

hence Smurf currently keeping his cards close to his chest and right to do so.

So you apply for a new job externally and the new company starts to blab that you've applied. What would you think of the new company, what would your current employers think of you if they found out, if you didn't get the job what do you think your future prospects would be at your current employers.

Alternatively, you're tapped up by a new company and that new company starts to blab they have approached you, not very professional by the new company and I would imagine you'd be furious.

hence Smurf currently keeping his cards close to his chest and right to do so.

thats hands down one the shittest reply i have seen on this forum, it was complete drool.

all you hear is this guy leaving, that guy leaving, serious news or backroom news from the club feels like chinese whispers, but its his job to lead the charge, to inform and encourage uncertain fans, he needs to do this for the club and his own sake instead of being a sloppy chairman, he doesnt have to give away all his "cards" by doing it just treat the fans with respect and act like a adult and he will be treated the same.

if he doesnt want to act like a professional then sell the club and there has to be better options than wild bill from texas or some conman.

Because there is no leadership structure at the club. There's no accountability, motivation, drive for business success or professionalism. It's an old boys club (Ted in the ticket office, Lodey et cetera et cetera) who do things by the bare minimum, resist change and are tinpot in everything they do.

The club should have an operations manual detailing everything the club does, how it should be done, how things should be said, defining staff roles and responsibilities, setting down rules and regulations for club policies like communications to fans and players social media. We should have a dedicated PR department i.e. cheap graduate from our links to Staffs Uni releasing 3 media pieces a day on Vale's twitter, facebook, instagram. This is not ******* difficult, every other club manages it. All our corporate communications should be in the same format, use the same font and colours, same tone of language and structure. The club badge should be plastered everywhere. The old badge, great as it was, should not be seen anymore. It's old, it's not our club identity anymore in marketing, yet it's plastered all over the ground and website where club staff have not been bothered or motivated to update it. It is cringeworthy to see club staff wearing club ties with the old badge on, it's a very clear reminder than the place is stuck in groundhog day. The season ticket propaganda should be in full swing and yet all we hear from the club is the manager leaving because he can't work with the chairman, players leaving, and the same old pathetic black and white text microsoft word document season ticket application forms some clown took 5 minutes knocking up, while tiny clubs like Colchester have trained staff competent in graphic design and marketing knocking out effective advertisement material to fans and consequently reaping the rewards. For a business currently failing its customers this is absolutely not good enough, this tinpot embarrassment has been going on for too long, it doesn't have to be like this and it shouldn't.

Unless NS wants to keep this negative cycle plodding along for years to come he needs to either

1) Vet and hire a CEO who will clear the place out root to branch and completely renovate the club's current piss poor output, then take a backseat and enjoy the success from his leather seat in the directors box

2) Sell up

great post, agree with most of what you put, it is true the club is struggling to adapt to the youth and the old boys club, its mainly the fanbase though as well and the deep rooted mentality.

thats hands down one the shittest reply i have seen on this forum, it was complete drool.

all you hear is this guy leaving, that guy leaving, serious news or backroom news from the club feels like chinese whispers, but its his job to lead the charge, to inform and encourage uncertain fans, he needs to do this for the club and his own sake instead of being a sloppy chairman, he doesnt have to give away all his "cards" by doing it just treat the fans with respect and act like a adult and he will be treated the same.

if he doesnt want to act like a professional then sell the club and there has to be better options than wild bill from texas or some conman.

No matter how shitty you find it unfortunately it's the real world, try to venture into it.

No matter how shitty you find it unfortunately it's the real world, try to venture into it.

Its the real world created by walter mitty

Walter Mitty: That's not it. This thing that you do, Norm, where you come into a place and push people out, you should know those people worked really hard to build this club. They believed in the motto. And I get it, you've got your marching orders and you have to do what you have to do, but you don't have to be such a d*ck. Put that on a plaque and hang it at your next job.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent

A dangerous vacuum seems to have been created currently. I acknowledge it must be difficult for Norman whilst he's seeking a new manager, but given the large number of players who are out of contract and by all accounts, have been asked to take a cut in pay, it doesn't take much speculating to assume that many of these players are seeking deals elsewhere. We need that new management appointment asap to ensure that any leaving players are replaced before the pre-season's training/practice matches activity--truly squeaky bum time for all Vale supporters!

A dangerous vacuum seems to have been created currently. I acknowledge it must be difficult for Norman whilst he's seeking a new manager, but given the large number of players who are out of contract and by all accounts, have been asked to take a cut in pay, it doesn't take much speculating to assume that many of these players are seeking deals elsewhere. We need that new management appointment asap to ensure that any leaving players are replaced before the pre-season's training/practice matches activity--truly squeaky bum time for all Vale supporters!

As the old saying goes.... crap expands to fill the space available

If the sleeping/comatose giant of vales PR machine was awakened it may fill some of the space and cut down on the crap

Its the real world created by walter mitty

Names have been changed to protect the innocent

Geo, you and others talk as though there are many, many people queuing up to purchase PVFC with the cash and willing to spend it to run the club the way you perceive it should be run. There are not.

I'm frustrated with Smurf over the separation of the club/ground and the budget cuts but his money has got Vale to where we are now. Both he and Rob Page (and there was no bigger fan of RP than me) shoulder the blame for the situation PVFC finds itself in now but the only issue at the top of the agenda now is to find the right manager asap so this mess can be sorted out closely followed by getting the likes of AJLS to put pen to paper.

Geo, you and others talk as though there are many, many people queuing up to purchase PVFC with the cash and willing to spend it to run the club the way you perceive it should be run. There are not.

I'm frustrated with Smurf over the separation of the club/ground and the budget cuts but his money has got Vale to where we are now. Both he and Rob Page (and there was no bigger fan of RP than me) shoulder the blame for the situation PVFC finds itself in now but the only issue at the top of the agenda now is to find the right manager asap so this mess can be sorted out closely followed by getting the likes of AJLS to put pen to paper.

Im not saying that at all, I would say that the income should not be down to the playing side alone and that much more could be done to increase turnover with very little outlay off the field... it should be run within its means but its means dont have to be as low as they appear to be... it will take time and consistent effort but I think it is achievable... just cutting what you spend doesnt always work it has a much better chance if you increase income too..

Archived