onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why has the club gone so quiet

jeff1966

Page said we wouldn't be signing anyone until contracts were accepted or not and we knew our budget. That's a month away still. Lots of teams change manager at this point in the year. Let's not sh*t ourselves.

Who are the 'lots' of clubs changing managers at the moment?

Advert

As a potential manager - If you had the amount of offers still on the table with significantly reduced terms for most of the players... Coming in as a promising manager with a degree of certainty from the club your potentially coming from... Would you take the leap of faith?? It may be very hard too I would think - set up to fail?

I wonder IF Smurf will have had second thoughts about the budget and increased it in some way to try and tempt and support the new manager who e er it may be?

All this "I'm waiting to see who the next manager is" stuff frustrates me.

I wonder how many who were sad to see Page do one were queueing up to buy their ST because he was appointed manager in the first place.

Been up to get mine this afternoon as personally I think we get who we get, regardless of whether I got my ticket or not.

If I was Smurf I'd appoint a real favourite the day after discounted offer ends.....

Reading various threads people talk as though when the discounted offer ends at the end of May the price goes up astronomically. It goes up by 20 squid, that equates to .87p per game.

Reading various threads people talk as though when the discounted offer ends at the end of May the price goes up astronomically. It goes up by 20 squid, that equates to .87p per game.

That may well be the case.But the idea to extend the offer undear the circumstances is a good idea.

Smurf is being professional,

While (Nero) Smurf fiddles, (Rome burns down) Vale runs down.

I'd guess Smurf and others at Vale are doing all they can to appoint a manager, it's in Smurf's best interests, I'd prefer the right person rather than a knee jerk reaction just to appoint someone. You seem so certain that nothing is being done to appoint a new manager, how do you know nothing is being done.

Other clubs are strengthening their squads in order to better last seasons efforts.

Fleetwood have now made five new signings including on a free transfer one of the best goalie's in L1 - Chris Neal.

They narrowly escaped relegation but seem to have aspirations to finish higher up the league this coming season.

Bad time for the Vale for Rob Page to go but I'd anticipate that Smurf knew the players Rob Page was interested in and Smurf, Michael Brown and others are proactively keeping in contact those players and the new manager will have the final say when appointed if they're still available.

What aspirations has Smurf for Port Vale?

At the moment it looks likes we're on the road to nowhere - or may be L2?

Best ask Smurf what his aspirations for the Vale are. You might be right but at the moment I wouldn't be that pessimistic.

I agree with you jeff.

We've gone from making PR gaffs galore to saying nowt.

You have to communicate frequently and positively with fans if you want to create a bond.

Page's departure was given no more prominence on the main site than a half term soccer school. Ridiculous.

Even something like - don't worry folks, we're chasing the best manager we can find and in view of that we'll extend the ticket deadline to .....

It would be better than nothing. You have to be communicative and friendly if you want fans to buy tickets. Silence is golden only in the world of the Tremeloes.

I don't think he is only referring to the new manager but the last few weeks and months. Ironically the only positivity came from Page!

i dont know how a business man in the twilight years of his life with years of experience cant do a mature neutral statement/communicate with his customers.

i agree on the page thing, there seems like the only hope/positive PR coming from the club was page and now that hes gone i feel the void already, the next manager probably needs to become the face of hope and positive thinking for the club like page was because norman doesnt give hope or positivity out in any form.

Smurf is in one of these catch 22 situations. Damned if he does not say anything and then damned if he does.

Would rather Smurf takes his time and appoint the best manager he can afford. Just hope it is an experienced manager to move our great club forward rather than someone with no experience as they are the cheap option.

Smurf could get some good PR by expending the ST deadline a few weeks while he sorts out the manager situation. At least that would tell the fans he is sorting out the manager and backroom staff and he understands why fans are not buying season tickets yet.

as a guy in my 20s i know not everyone is used to social media or posting stuff on websites etc but they had letters and newspapers right... lol, a keyboard has exactly the same layout as a typewriter yea? all he has to say is something like this for a statement.

• big load of polite crap on about previous season
  • thanks everyone for support
  • working hard behind the scenes on a range of issues for next season
  • in communication with different people who are interested, nothing is set in stone at the moment, everything looks promising
  • maybe hints at something, possibly someone experienced for example
  • assures the decision will be in the best interests of the club
  • says it wont be long and will make a announcement when something concrete is happening
  • thanks supporters again for everything and asks for ounce of patience

hardly catch 22 is it... keep people in the loop, that would take less than 10 minutes, could put it on the vale site which he controls, repost it on twitter, job done, he controls all the PR within official channels no one gets misquoted or screwed over, welcome to 2016 norman.

that would please everyone and show hes a adult who can act like it, its really not hard lol even if its all utter nothing... other businesses and clubs do it all the time, to say he cant is just baffling, but whatever, his quality as a chairman reflects from his actions in my opinion.

True supporters don't need a reason to buy season tickets. Most have already done so and the others will buy in the next few days. I do hope Norman takes all the time he needs to appoint a new manager. I agree that there is a need for positive news coming out of the club on a daily basis and thank OVF and the Sentinel for filling the gap.

sadly when you back people into a corner who feel like theres no hope/positivity or they arent being listened to/the club isnt being run right and their only method or feeling of being heard or having any control is to zip up with their wallets and then you asked for it really because you should have fans jumping to buy them. i dont even think the ST holders are bothered about giving the money, the issue for most people will most likely be bigger and it isnt down to being a fan or not, you expect something to be done with your money, the same mentality is going on at prem clubs with walk outs and protests etc.

the chairman needs to ask himself why and change the situation around, thats his "job", i cant really see the chairman doing that because his people skills are poor, instead he plays the silent martyr/victim card instead, when hes in a good mood though he might pull out the savior card, i dont think any of the above are a healthly relationship to have with the fans nor is being disconnected or being even being seen as anti social towards your fans isnt a good situation to have either and doing nothing to fix it isnt either.

#rant over

The players care about $$$$$ bottom line. Who the manager is will be a secondary consideration.

that is true without doubt but its still important to the overall scheme of things and for the club to win matches.

Archived