onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale captain unsure of future after "big" paycut

robf

As someone has already suggested the budget should be about 800K... is that competitive?

The budget was bigger than 1.6m. And has every player been offered 50% less? Either way, it won't be that.

Funny how which quoted figures are believed and which aren't.

Advert

According to a Daily Mirror report earlier this year the average salary for a L1 player is £69,500 excluding bonuses. Jungle arithmetic therefore tells us for a squad of 25 the budget should be in the region of £1.75 million. If we have an average gate of 5,000 paying an average of £18 a game the income from that for league games only should be just over £2 million, plus commercial revenue. Whilst accepting this is rough maths and there are more costs than just the playing budget I'm struggling to see why we as a club cannot pay the average going rate? Maybe Dicko is earning way above the average and has therefore been offered more of a L1 salary? Maybe the club are not able to offer competitive salaries for experienced players because of other reasons, such as too big a squad or too many high earners or inefficient financial management or not enough commercial revenue, etc., etc. We all know we could do with bigger gates but we can't be certain of getting them so working on the current average is realistic.

I'd like Dicko to stay along with a number of others but in order for that to happen both the club and the players have to be realistic. However, at the end of the day any player will sign for whoever pays the most, it's their livelihood so you can't blame them.

According to a Daily Mirror report earlier this year the average salary for a L1 player is £69,500 excluding bonuses. Jungle arithmetic therefore tells us for a squad of 25 the budget should be in the region of £1.75 million. If we have an average gate of 5,000 paying an average of £18 a game the income from that for league games only should be just over £2 million, plus commercial revenue. Whilst accepting this is rough maths and there are more costs than just the playing budget I'm struggling to see why we as a club cannot pay the average going rate? Maybe Dicko is earning way above the average and has therefore been offered more of a L1 salary? Maybe the club are not able to offer competitive salaries for experienced players because of other reasons, such as too big a squad or too many high earners or inefficient financial management or not enough commercial revenue, etc., etc. We all know we could do with bigger gates but we can't be certain of getting them so working on the current average is realistic.

I'd like Dicko to stay along with a number of others but in order for that to happen both the club and the players have to be realistic. However, at the end of the day any player will sign for whoever pays the most, it's their livelihood so you can't blame them.

Who says we won't have an average budget? Page decided he wanted to sign every man and his dog up. Perhaps we offered what he was worth to us. Notice he hasn't turned it down flat. Suggests he was on good wages to start with.

Who says we won't have an average budget? Page decided he wanted to sign every man and his dog up. Perhaps we offered what he was worth to us. Notice he hasn't turned it down flat. Suggests he was on good wages to start with.

As far as I know no one has said what the budget is, what I'm saying is that given the figures on the L1 average wages I can't see why we can't pay them as in we should be able to compete financially in this division as long as the finances are managed properly. If you read my last sentence I state my thinking as both players and the club have to be realistic, that's all. Like everyone else I'd love to know what our playing budget is then we could speculate as to how many players we can afford.

If we are to believe what we hear and read some players are being told they will have to take a pay cut of up to 50%. That's staggering as well as worrying.

No one in their right mind could afford to take that so that'll be another player we'll have to replace when we finally get round to appointing a manager.

Finally get around to appointing a manager give the bloke a chance Christ

I've said my piece on this more than once.

I have had a season ticket for many years now. Last year I contacted Smurf in frustration at literally not being able to give my money for a renewal to the club, due to a lack of response from the Ticket Office. It took personal intervention from Smurf to get the Ticket Office to call me and take the payment. Guess what? I've had no reminder for this year - nothing. No e-mail, no letter, no phone call.

As much as we can sometimes knock Smurf, his job is made no easier by having an utterly incompetent Ticket Office Manager in place.

I went to the legends game yesterday, the new shirts were advertised on the scoreboard and it said available at the club shop after the game.

I walked round to the club shop after the game, it was shut.

RP's farcical retained list strikes again. Instead of offering deals to 13 players with a 50% pay cut maybe it would have been wise to only offer contracts to 8 of them but with better terms.

The £500-£1000 a week they are probably offering somebody like Lloyd would have been far more use supplementing Dicko's or AJ's contracts.

But what do I know.

The budget was bigger than 1.6m. And has every player been offered 50% less? Either way, it won't be that.

I know the £800,000 I mentioned was daft but the point I was making when I mentioned the budget is that we simply don't know what it is. All we know is that players are being asked to take a cut, in some cases a large cut, and the chairman said the the budget was going to be cut overall by 40%. So it isn't surprising that we expect some of them to leave. Opinions about those likely to leave will differ - it's interesting to note for example, that Louis Dodds won the Away Supporters POTY award yet some fans on here would be delighted to see the back of him.

At the moment we have no manager although I'm sure that situation will be remedied in the near future. It seems we are going to give that manager a much reduced budget compared to the last couple of years. With that reduced budget he will be expected to improve on our top half finish this time around. I would hate to be in that position to be honest.

RP's farcical retained list strikes again. Instead of offering deals to 13 players with a 50% pay cut maybe it would have been wise to only offer contracts to 8 of them but with better terms.

The £500-£1000 a week they are probably offering somebody like Lloyd would have been far more use supplementing Dicko's or AJ's contracts.

But what do I know.

How much of Lloyd's salary has the club actually paid this year? How much of Johnson's? I was surprised to see them offered deals but I don't expect us to be paying much of their salaries because they will be out on loan.

And if Ryan Lloyd is getting anywhere near £1,000 a week I will eat my hat.

But what do I know.

Not much, judging from that post. Do you not understand the concept of a wage structure? What about the idea of squad players?

Not much, judging from that post. Do you not understand the concept of a wage structure? What about the idea of squad players?

So Lloyd is a squad player? Remind me how many games he played for us last season?

I understand the concept of trying to keep one or two of our better players and getting rid of the **** that aren't league 1 standard.

I'm talking about this coming season, not the last one. We haven't offered contracts to any '****' players and to label players, some of whom have shown loyalty to our club and may well be playing for us next season, as '****' says far more about you than it does them.

Our wage structure is knackered and needs sorting; is that really so hard to understand?

But what do I know.

Why has no one from the club made any form of official statement?

Following the fans forum I believed Norman was intent on carrying on and although he didn't say it, the impression I got was that positive actions regarding team building was to take place.

I don't understand why Page offered contracts particularly if they are '****' ones at that and the doing a bunk within 48 hours after promising to build on the last season.

Why offer contracts to people who are not up to the grade of league 1 football, however much?

Surely Norman knows that to 'stay still' we have to pay the 'going-rate' for certain players whatever that may be let alone improve on last year.

What on earth is going on Norman? Let's have the truth on the lot.

This is the time to come clean.

After 41 years this may well be the straw that broke the camels back for me with regards to £690 of season tickets by next week.

But what do I know.

Why has no one from the club made any form of official statement?

Following the fans forum I believed Norman was intent on carrying on and although he didn't say it, the impression I got was that positive actions regarding team building was to take place.

I don't understand why Page offered contracts particularly if they are '****' ones at that and then doing a bunk within 48 hours after promising to build on the last season.

Why offer contracts to people who are not up to the grade of league 1 football, however much?

Surely Norman knows that to 'stay still' we have to pay the 'going-rate' for certain players whatever that may be let alone improve on last year.

What on earth is going on Norman? Let's have the truth on the lot.

This is the time to come clean.

After 41 years this may well be the straw that broke the camels back for me with regards to £690 of season tickets by next week.

I dont believe any of the figures quoted, but smurf says he isnt subsidizing the budget to the tune of 800K from his own pocket as he has been doing so I would assume the budget, whatever it is, will be cut by that amount... if he is telling the truth that is... but if the maximum spend is 60% of turnover how do you subsidize turnover?

Archived