onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale captain unsure of future after "big" paycut

robf

Budget cuts of this magnitude, for a second season running, despite the average attendance not dropping significantly, is ********.

His figures do not add up and they have never added up.

Where is the new CEO he promised?

He is a first class fruitcake with no idea of how to run a football club. Yet he still has time to sort things out because good news sells season tickets and merchandise. Especially this time of year.

Renewed hope!

However, i wont hold my breath.

He has two options in my opinion.

The cheap option.

Employ Brown as manager. Mass exodus and even cheaper rubbish brought in. Sell 2500 season tickets max.

Have a bad start to the season and then what happens?!

Or....

Employ a name for our division. With Brown as assistant.

Get in the right players without going crazy on the budget but not having stupid restrictions on it either.

More season tickets get sold and we go from there.

The way i see him at the minute, infact since we lost to Exeter, is that he is intent of turning into Karl Oyston and running the club as a business for him without any care or consideration for supporters.

Hope im wrong.

Advert

If we are to believe what we hear and read some players are being told they will have to take a pay cut of up to 50%. That's staggering as well as worrying.

No one in their right mind could afford to take that so that'll be another player we'll have to replace when we finally get round to appointing a manager.

As I recall, Dicko was offered a huge wedge to come in the first place, and those sort of salaries are what the club cannot afford. Time to get real, well done Vale!

I see Barnsley have this week signed three players from the National League - they are out there!

Can't fault his passion but I think he's one of them players that can consider themselves somewhat fortunate to be earning a living while doing one of his hobbies. There's probably players with more natural ability kicking a football around at a nearby park. He certainly isn't irreplaceable and I also can't see many other League One teams going in for him.

RP's farcical retained list strikes again. Instead of offering deals to 13 players with a 50% pay cut maybe it would have been wise to only offer contracts to 8 of them but with better terms.

The £500-£1000 a week they are probably offering somebody like Lloyd would have been far more use supplementing Dicko's or AJ's contracts.

But what do I know.

Unfortunately we still need sufficient numbers in the squad for a full seasonwith its usual share of injuries, drops in form etc. So your mathematical model doesn't really add up.

He certainly isn't irreplaceable

My worry is - by the time we appoint a new manager any potential replacements could well be signed up by our rivals. There are certainly a lot of clubs acting very quickly out there. For instance, Barnsley have signed two non-league players and Swindon have signed another. If Vale are looking for cut price additions to develop and sell on (which would seem to be the case) then at this rate any decent National League players will be at other clubs before we get round to enquiring.

By the way - polite warning - bypassing the swear filter is not permitted. Any further bypassing could result in a ban. I want my forum (personal preference) to be swearing free so please respect my decision on this. Thank you.

What people have to understand and realise is that it is very difficult to replace decent players, like Dodds and Dicko to name but two.

Letting them go is fine but only if you can guarantee being able to find better for less.

We might strike gold as we did under Sir John, but history proves that when we lose players it is impossibly hard to replace them.

And as Page pointed out last year (and it fell on deaf ears) you need a nucleus of players who know the club and have been here for a while, who are settled locally and have an affinity for the Vale. Team spirit and bonding takes time and you can't simply bring in 6-7 players from Southend and Darlington and expect them to gel quickly.

Very unfair comments, Beechy.

My worry is - by the time we appoint a new manager any potential replacements could well be signed up by our rivals. There are certainly a lot of clubs acting very quickly out there. For instance, Barnsley have signed two non-league players and Swindon have signed another. If Vale are looking for cut price additions to develop and sell on (which would seem to be the case) then at this rate any decent National League players will be at other clubs before we get round to enquiring.

Page said we couldn't sign anyone until the contract offers were resolved. That's a month away.

Archived