onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who will be the Vales new manager?

PV1973

we might never know how well a manager will fit until much later. Look at Leicester who appointed a 'past it' manager, or burton who appointed a 'rookie' with no experience. What is important is that the club has an ethos on how we want to play and run the club, so when a manager leaves, you don't have to start from scratch again. The manager should fit this ethos,,not the other way around.

What I am hoping is that the team will get a bigger budget out of this. Maybe a few promises to a new manager from the chairman to attract his wanted man?

Advert

Cotterill would be my top choice proven in league 1 with Bristol city and proven without a huge budget at Cheltenham

Would probably be too expensive for smurf in terms of playing budget and salary

Powell would be ok and suppose brown wouldn't be bad, page turned out pretty well did a good job dispite what a few idiots think and he had just about the same experience Brown has

Cotterill would be my top choice proven in league 1 with Bristol city and proven without a huge budget at Cheltenham

Would probably be too expensive for smurf in terms of playing budget and salary

Powell would be ok and suppose brown wouldn't be bad, page turned out pretty well did a good job dispite what a few idiots think and he had just about the same experience Brown has

Cotterill spent a fortune at Bristol so wouldnt use that as a measure of his competence. Personally, I don't like the bloke and wouldn't like him at VP. I'd like Chris Powell with Michael Brown as his assistant.

I'm not too upset with Page being gone. He did a decent job last season under the circumstances, but I always thought that we'd be stuck in limbo with him in charge.

Steve Cotterill would be my choice, unless someone wins loads on the lottery, and we could tempt Pearson. Nigel Adkins would be good too, but Brown will probably get it.

Never a dull moment at Vale , is there? Anyway, good luck to Rob Page , a nice man. Maybe too nice. We'll survive this , as we always do.

Firstly, contrary to what a number of posters on here think, Page is a loss. Not a massive loss as he was still developing as a manager and his squad was / is very much a work in progress. However, after observing him during his time as Vale manger I have become more and more impressed with him; I was very much 'jury's out' about him at first and I thought his retained list last year was a potential disaster but it was far from that and I would say the only bit I was 100% right in thinking at the time was his consuming the budget without getting any proven goalscorers in his squad but not being party to what happened behind the scenes with Norman it's difficult to judge. Either way we were favourites for relegation and spent all season flirting with the play offs, if we'd have had a greater goal threat we'd have probably been in them. Page's professionalism in how he's conducted himself in the face of some woeful behaviour by his boss (eg, the Exeter debacle) won't have gone unnoticed and he's most likely been looking for an opportunity to leave the Vale since about that time. Who wouldn't do the same given the permanent threat of the sack from an inconsistent employer hanging over you?

The question now is who can pick up from where Page left off and move us forward rather than start again with their own squad restructuring and significantly different playing style?

I quite like the idea of Chris Powell but we can't have him because he's black, according to Smurf that is. From the list of possibles in the betting odds the most suitable would be perennial nutter Paulo Di Canio, him and Smurf would make Gannon and Horsfield look like Ant & Dec.

In all seriousness what I would be looking for is someone with the right personality to man manage players, the best managers always have that in abundance. The main criteria for successful managers has always been to be able to spot a players particular talents and blend them with others to the greatest effect, followed by being able to manage people and the various mix of personalities and then having some tactical ability. 'Bleedin obvious' is the phrase that springs to mind but most managers don't possess those attributes. As Brian Clough pointed out, football isn't a complicated game and he had all the attributes required, including, for a nutter, great people management skills. Same for Fergie / Shankly / Jock Stein / Morinho, etc.

What we don't want is a cheap journeyman type who drones on about workrate, fitness, get stuck in, blah, blah, blah. We also don't want another oddball like Sinnott or a looney like Gannon. Or a serial flop like Dean Saunders.

I reckon Mickey Brown is in with a good shout of getting it (cheap option) which will be a risk but could pay off.

Smurf - please don't go for the cheap option or an inexperienced manager. Vale need an experienced manager to add his touch to the players we have already and those who may sign their reduced contracts.

Guess all those players in the pipe line will be going Northampton's way now.

Bit early for Brown who hasn't done the coaching badges/youth team/U21 Reserves/Assistant Manager/Pro License path and as Smurf doesn't have a

CEO/Director of Football type at the club perhaps a complete novice rookie

and an unstable Chairman might be a tad risky....but it is the cheap option.

Adkins/Rosler/Powell/Cotterill are all available and looking to get their feet back into

the technical area......Smurf would have to convince them not so much with wages but that the club has genuine Championship ambitions......

perhaps Smurf should be pro-active and invite all four down for interviews

but first off rip up that retained list as no longer applicable.

It seems an odd move to announce that Michael Brown has been promoted to the managerial staff.

It's often the case that a new manager will want his own choice of 2nd in command. If that isn't Brown then it could be one of the shortest managerial roles in the clubs history.

Or maybe Smurf already has a new manager lined up who is happy to work with Brown as his no 2.(Bodin)

Or maybe Brown will himself be the new manager.

For sure the only person who should be making some sort of statement is the one who hasn't.

Come on Norman, is there a plan? Or are you still exploring options.

It's good to talk - sometimes

If it is an internal appointment, make it quickly and fund the budget well, and PUSH those season tickets.

Micky Adams - as one of his admirers, I still have to say please, no - it will not work though if he did come I would support him wholeheartedly because that is what we all should do. Regardless of how it turned out with Jum Gannon, there was one notable mouthpiece on here who started slating him massively the very day he was announced a s new manager.

Nigel Adkins, Paul Ince, etc - Unlikely anyway, but definitely not the right club for a 'bjggish name' that will expect a big budget.

Other outside appointment - Neil Warnock would be fantastic but very unlikely, would quite like Sean O'Driscoll and if only we had the money and ambition to get Nigel Pearson but that is totally unrealistic unless the compo was beyond belief. Imagine the buzz that would bring- but no chance really.

If it is an outside appointment it is crucial that he brings his own team,(assistant, Harbin-like person etc) as this is what made sure that Jim Gannon failed from Day 1- although he was difficult and made bad decisions anyway, he may have just done a lot better if a number of backroom staff and players with alcohol and other problems had not been undermining him from the start.

I used to be a fan of O'Driscoll and his football but maybe he has had his day as his last few jobs have been poor really

My choice now would be Ainsworth,he has cut his teeth in League football,has managed for over 200 games,managed on the lowest budget in League 2 and is one of those on the list who hasn't actually been sacked,my concern is that we wont go for him if Brown is having a say

Archived