onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page: three-year plan allows me to build on this year’s work

robf

Also what's the point of a three year plan, how many managers last more than one season, in todays modern game. Chairman, directors, fans want success, strait away not in three years time, gone are the days of I've got a plan it's now or never.
The plan is for the team, the manager as you say can change, but it usually means starting from scratch if he does not keep to plan. Successful teams are usually built around a core and take a season or two to gel.

Advert

Also what's the point of a three year plan, how many managers last more than one season, in todays modern game. Chairman, directors, fans want success, strait away not in three years time, gone are the days of I've got a plan it's now or never.

Generally speaking I would agree, however in the case of Smurthwaite, Vale and Page I would argue differently. I suspect Smurf only offered a 2 year deal in case things didn't go well and he could offload Page for a small fee. However I also suspect the promise was there of a contract extension if things were on the up. Remember too that both Smurf and Page a relatively new and both still wet behind the ears - therefore both would probably have been happy with a short term deal to see how things progress.

I think a 2 year deal gives them both the perfect platform from which to go forward and plan which seems exactly what Rob Page is doing, and doing reasonably well in my opinion.

Obviously we all look forward to the retained list to see where Rob thinks changes are required, also the players out of contract will be looking at their own position accordingly so there are plenty of twists and turns to come I am sure.

where do I get a pair of these rose tinted specs that vale supporters seem to be wearing.
It is with being positive and having a dream, sometimes it happens, the main thing is the journey in time, not necessarily away games. Bear with me I am about to watch MOD.

We have progressed further this season than we have done at any point since Adams' first season when he turned us round.

With respect, thats crap and forgetting the not so distant past.

If you are talking progression from season to season then surely league 2 3rd to league 1 9th in 12 months (under micky) is more progressive than league 1 18th to at very best league 1 9th again?!

However im not knocking that league position this season.

If you are talking progression from season to season then surely league 2 3rd to league 1 9th in 12 months (under micky) is more progressive than league 1 18th to at very best league 1 9th again?!

Possibly so ST, although I was referring more to the improvement in the style of play, quality of signings, even number of points (which obviously is unfair to judge when we move between leagues). I think I'm right in saying that we have more points now with a game to play than we managed in the season we finished 9th? If we are talking about a "3 year plan" as Page is doing, it is only fair to judge what he has achieved, which is very solid progression (23rd in League 1 to top half League 1).

I hear and like what Rob Page is saying but to achieve both his and our ambitions the owner will have to back him with either cold hard cash or a hugely improved way of raising funding from corporate and sales avenues.

Wow, some depressing posts on here. Must've lost at the weekend :D

A 3 year plan seems reasonable. He's got his own staff at the club this summer, and recruitment has been planned well in advance, as opposed to last summer when it all got thrown together quickly. Overall we've done well this season. Some ups, some downs but I was hoping we'd finish in the top 10 and we have a chance to do that Sunday. I expect us to push on a bit next season with a smaller squad sprinkled with a bit more quality in the first XI. We're genuinely not too far away from getting it right.

People going on about rose tinted spectacles? How about putting your half-empty glass down and see that it has been a good season. Some people's doom and gloom predictions haven't come to fruition and have clambered to find an alternative position I see.

Wow, some depressing posts on here. Must've lost at the weekend :D

A 3 year plan seems reasonable. He's got his own staff at the club this summer, and recruitment has been planned well in advance, as opposed to last summer when it all got thrown together quickly. Overall we've done well this season. Some ups, some downs but I was hoping we'd finish in the top 10 and we have a chance to do that Sunday. I expect us to push on a bit next season with a smaller squad sprinkled with a bit more quality in the first XI. We're genuinely not too far away from getting it right.

People going on about rose tinted spectacles? How about putting your half-empty glass down and see that it has been a good season. Some people's doom and gloom predictions haven't come to fruition and have clambered to find an alternative position I see.

Bang on Stu.

I swear to god this site is full of some of the boredest, most pathetic people in the world who would literally moan about anything. Page has done well and done it playing good football, I don't understand why some people find that so hard to accept.

As for the bookworm, don't entertain that pathetic specimen who trolls every thread with the same old nonsense

The three year plan will be to avoid relegation, and Vale will finish mid-table in each of those three years.

That's what's going to happen. One sign of things to come is that Yates has been offered a new contract.

I've heard that today.

I read Page's email to fans and thought wow that's impressive, I heard he'd offered Yates a contract and it reminded me of the occasional ricks he loves to drop.

For Christ sake man move on from your mates and back yourself, you are good enough to do so in terms of superior player recruitment.

For Christ sake man move on from your mates and back yourself, you are good enough to do so in terms of superior player recruitment.

Or he's aware of the budget and knows he'll struggle to find similar for the reduced wage Yates is on. He also knows that with Purkiss our No 1 right-back, there are more important issues to be addressed. Just a thought.

If you've seen many games this season you'll know we have been very, very impressive on several occasions.

Not all progress translates immediately into league positions and points, and patience is all that's needed to let something very exciting develop at VP.

It's also worth saying that it's rare to be on 65 points and in mere mid-table...you only have to look back at previous final tables to see that. And we could quite easily finish on 68, which surely represents progress!

Or he's aware of the budget and knows he'll struggle to find similar for the reduced wage Yates is on. He also knows that with Purkiss our No 1 right-back, there are more important issues to be addressed. Just a thought.

Let's look to the future and replace Yates with Smith, be progressive, just a thought.

Archived