Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Rules

Port Vale 4 : 1 Rochdale - Post Match Comments

Agree about Kelly. Frustrating player but has scored 3 worldies. There's no such thing as a consistent winger and I think he's worth persevering with.

JJ, of course, is a given

I think his inconsistency is a lot down to his fitness and physique. A good pre-season with us will stand him in good stead, and he could do with bulking up a little more to cope with the physicality of lower league football.

I think his inconsistency is a lot down to his fitness and physique. A good pre-season with us will stand him in good stead, and he could do with bulking up a little more to cope with the physicality of lower league football.

He seems a lot fitter and stronger than when he 1st got into the team. Yesterday he was difficult to knock off the ball and showed a good turn of pace. A good pre -season should do him and us the world of good.

My mate was dressed in 70's gear yesterday for a bet, but was refused entry because of his flares !!!

Quite right too, anyone wearing flares should be banned from everywhere lol

Or perhaps Gillingham v Millwall or Wigan v Barnsley?

Gills v Millwall looks meaningless. A defeat next weekend could put paid to Gills play off hopes and Millwall are already there.

Wigan will be champions by then and i would think Walsall going for automatic is a much more viable option than a possble play off spot for Barnsley.

Only down side for me at the moment is getting searched before EVERY game it is really narking me i almost lost it yesterday at the turnstiles its way over the top.I have missed only 3 away games this season and can only remember getting searched 2 or 3 times.Sorry to end my post with a moan.

Use the paddock entrance on the side of ground instead. No queue no search.

Every team in the league has 3 keepers, most have 4.

Kennedy wasn't a "pointless" loan signing. He did well when we first got him, everyone was really chuffed when we extended his loan but he then faded.

I also think that Birchall has merited his place in the squad this season and has played well when called upon. If we'd needed to shore up the midfield yesterday, there wasn't anyone else we could have brought on. Ditto with Yates in defence. I'm not saying we need to keep those particular players (although I wouldn't be annoyed if we did, especially now that Norman has said he's looking at pay-as-you-play contracts) but we certainly need the numbers. Also, if you take the 1st year pros out, we don't have a very big squad at all.

Lets not forget that the player/s out of contract have a say on whether they stay or go if offered a new contract, and me thinks that the more seasoned players age wise will want to get another season or 2 before they hang the boots up of regular games even in lower league.

Gills v Millwall looks meaningless. A defeat next weekend could put paid to Gills play off hopes and Millwall are already there.

Wigan will be champions by then and i would think Walsall going for automatic is a much more viable option than a possble play off spot for Barnsley.

Then again if Walsall lose again on Tuesday night they are very unlikely to go up automatically.

It's all ifs and buts isn't it?

It was great to see that Rob Page is becoming more and more appreciated by Vale fans. Not only were the usual chanting his name but it extended along the railway paddock.I think the genuine Vale fans can see the progress being made by Page. Now Norman and his pal 'Bookworm' need to see the light!

Hooper is looking like a real prospect. Yesterday he was, by a country mile, the best player on the pitch and they could not cope with his power and pace. I'm delighted to see him keeping the ball a lot better than he did formerly and also showing better awareness as when he played in Robinson in the second half instead of going for goal himself. Those 2 things alone indicated to me that he's improving all the time. I thought he was excellent yesterday, for the full 90 minutes, and so pleased that he scored a deserved goal. He had a great game.

Kelly I remain to be convinced about. Yes, he has an eye for goal but still appears to shirk the physical side of the game and needs to bulk up more and compete better physically.

Like McGivern did yesterday when Andrew scored, Kelly backs off and off and gives his opponent too much time and space to look up with the ball. You should close players down and not drop off and watch them play. That's his biggest fault. He has ability but does he have the aggression and determination necessary when it's a 50:50 or when he hasn't got the ball?

Hooper is looking like a real prospect. Yesterday he was, by a country mile, the best player on the pitch and they could not cope with his power and pace. I'm delighted to see him keeping the ball a lot better than he did formerly and also showing better awareness as when he played in Robinson in the second half instead of going for goal himself. Those 2 things alone indicated to me that he's improving all the time. I thought he was excellent yesterday, for the full 90 minutes, and so pleased that he scored a deserved goal. He had a great game.

Kelly I remain to be convinced about. Yes, he has an eye for goal but still appears to shirk the physical side of the game and needs to bulk up more and compete better physically.

Like McGivern did yesterday when Andrew scored, Kelly backs off and off and gives his opponent too much time and space to look up with the ball. You should close players down and not drop off and watch them play. That's his biggest fault. He has ability but does he have the aggression and determination necessary when it's a 50:50 or when he hasn't got the ball?

We have to put it down to the coaching behind the scenes for the strikers. We are not in the market for instant improvements but have to pick up potential and put some polish on them. Hopefully Kelly will mature and his defensive skills will improve.

Alnwick and Streete mix-ups edited. To clarify my views on Purkiss, I didn't think he had a bad game, put a couple of good crosses in. Just felt there was a period at the start of the second half when he could have got a bit tighter to Mendez-Laing. Good luck for the rest of the season.

I liked your report, Gabriel. Much better than some I've seen. Did you enjoy your day at Vale Park?

Cheers. Enjoyed it a lot, went last season when you beat Donny 3-0 - must be a good omen!

Yes, I go in through there now.

At the Bycars yesterday there were 2 turnstiles showing season tickets and only one for match day tickets. A queue of adults and kids with comps were at the match day turnstile so I asked the operator if I could go in through the season ticket turnstile and she kindly said no problem. Don't understand why we can't be told to use any turnstile. No searching either in Bycars.

At the Bycars yesterday there were 2 turnstiles showing season tickets and only one for match day tickets. A queue of adults and kids with comps were at the match day turnstile so I asked the operator if I could go in through the season ticket turnstile and she kindly said no problem. Don't understand why we can't be told to use any turnstile. No searching either in Bycars.
i go in the Bycars, I think season ticket holders can use any turnstile, I have used the match day one when there's been a big que at the st one, although as a superstition, I allways try to use the same one.yep and no searching either.

Hooper was excellent yesterday and caused them no end of problems. He seems to have a bit of everything, he's quick and he can also hold the ball up too. Also showed that he isn't greedy and creates for others but confident enough to take shots on himself too. The more he keeps improving the more of a prospect he looks for next season. As for kelly i was critical of him earlier on in the season for not doing is defensive duties and being lightweight, however i've seen improvement in him and he now seems to track back more often and i think the more gametime he gets the more stronger he'll get. Maybe not ready for regular starts yet but he's getting there.