onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

Advert

In what way has this been a great tournament? Great games? Great goals? (only a few from 50+ matches)

I don't think that Euro 2016 will be looked back on as a good, let alone "great" tournament, by any means. It has been generally low on quality, excitement and entertaining attacking play.

Firstly it was well organised, and the French deserve great credit for keeping fans secure and safe in very hostile and dangerous times. They generally kept the fans in control apart from the early stupid skirmishes between England and Russia fans, and the disgraceful flares from Croatia - fortunately more civilised fans were attending the later games.

We saw fantastic goals, exciting games, tremendous goalkeeping performances and best of all, magnificent surprises from Wales, Iceland and then finally a magnificent win by Portugal.

Too many people are unable to see quality if it is absent in the side they want to win, and resort to sour grapes, bitterness and downright stupid jealousy. It was not to be England's tournament - grow up and deal with it, we have mundane and modest ability for the most part.

Thanks to those who made it a show and a half, with surprises at every turn and lets look forward to Russia 2018 now and a good show by England there.

I think the structure with 24 teams hasn't helped the entertainment. Teams were set up with the aim to get a draw in the group games due to 3rd place rules. If it was just the top two in a group maybe teams would have gone for it more making more open games. However there have been some good goals and also memorable moments for teams such as iceland and individuals such as robson kanu.

It wouldn't happen if we only reached a quarter-final.

That's because Iceland has a population of under 400,000 and England more than 100 times as many. Achievement is relative - I would be quite willing to cheer and have a celebration if ever you could manage to post something sensible, positive and rational. I won't order the streamers yet though.

Awful tournament on the pitch.

Great tournament off it.

The fans made it.

Too many teams afraid to lose. No cutting edge. The highlight of the whole tournament was a ding dong between Portugal and Hungary and the farcical penalty taking of the Germans and Italians.

Worst tournament and final in living memory for me, going back 30 years.

In what way has this been a great tournament? Great games? Great goals? (only a few from 50+ matches)

I don't think that Euro 2016 will be looked back on as a good, let alone "great" tournament, by any means. It has been generally low on quality, excitement and entertaining attacking play.

I guess it's what remains in the mind's eye long after Euro2016 - for me it will be Iceland, Wales & Portugal :yes:

Did I hear right? According to 5Live commentary there were at least 8 PL players in the French team. Yes? No?

Were there any PL players in Portugal's team?

Fonte and Cedric.

Eder was signed on a three year contract to swansea last summer.

They shipped him out on loan in january.

A very watchable final, a good conclusion to a great tournament. Well done Portugal, a clever, balanced and as shown tonight, certainly NOT a one-man team.

I take it we have the Beechcreatures permission for Portugal to celebrate and have a bus tour or whatever, or possibly have a small sherry. Have another whine yourself.

ps. Message to Lallana, Henderson, Sturridge and treebrain- better to be a donkey in a few Premier League games and score a world-class goal in a massive final than to have a few good league games that count for nothing but be donkeys when the world is watching the finals. :laugh:

So everyone else thought it was a poor final and a poor tournament apart from you. Surprise surprise. You really are pathetic enough to say things just to go against the grain, aren't you?

Well done France on staging the tournament so well and well done Portugal on winning it. Good to see some of the smaller nations having some time in the limelight. I thought the football was generally not very entertaining and the highlights were the relative success of Wales and Iceland and the fans who in the main seemed to enjoy themselves and just wanted to celebrate being part of it. Thought the refs etc generally did well.

It was no Argentina 78 but then tournaments rarely are.

International football and club football will always be different, one is dependent upon the crops available, the other comes from a supermarket or high class store depending on your purse. It is a knockout competition which can give surprising results, the journey is the thing as there can only be one winner, some of the away days are usually one off. Like some seasons it will soon be forgotten, unless it was special to your team or something special happened.

I thought the initial group games were quite exciting because of the "unknown" entities of Hungary, Iceland, Wales etc... Then it just turned into a lot of tippy tappy possession football going nowhere. The final would have been so much better had Wales got through (and won!).

I'm seeing more and more of this type of football. I know from a technical perspective its all about possession etc but its boring as hell to watch when the opposition doesn't want to press. I wonder if coaching this type of football actually coaches the individuality out of the player.

Archived