onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

His pace stretched Russia on a dozen occasions. I'm not defending him, I ant stand the little numpty and he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 on merit. But taking him off and replacing him with Milner was a woeful decision.

He should have been taken off half an hour earlier. Stretching the Russians is irrelevant if you then just give the ball away, run into trouble or fail to get a cross in.

Advert

Completely agree I think as I'm sure I said before Woy's tactics will kill any chance we have.

Kane taking corners, no use of Vardy, taking off arguably our best player all crackpot decisions.

Positives were Walker, Dier and Rooney for me.

Sterling is a joke.

Crikey I'm going for a lie down.I agree with you.

My take on last night for what it's worth.

Woy went too tactical , messing around with formations ,trying to fit his favourites in and awful subs. His decision to leave vardy out proves this, he clearly thinks he can only play on the counter attack, he didn't think Russia would attack us as they are absolutely rubbish. So left vardy out which was an awful decision.

He also chose to play a 4-5-1 when he had taken 6 strikers and one winger. The guy is a complete ****. He also plays Rooney out of position, who had a stormer, but it was a massive risk in a game that actually means something, why not try it in a friendly ?????

His subs were a farce and summed up by milners fault for their goal. The whole game reminded me of Brazil two years ago. Play one way through qualifying, play a different way and formation for the tournament . 3 wins in 11 tournament games is it ????? Play our way woy and let them worry about us.

I fear playing anyone else, they will look at last night which exploited all our weaknesses . We can't defend very well in general , but we can't defend set pieces and crosses at all. Someone like Croatia , Germany or Italy with a big lad up top will take us apart.

God help us against bales, they have a half decent manager who knows his teams strengths.

Ratings wise :

Hart 7 good save first half and kicking was actually good for a change.

Walker 8 great game hardly put a foot wrong.

Cahill 7 solid, but didn't really have much to do

Smalling 7 ditto

Rose 7 good going forward but gave to many fouls away due to him over playing in our half.

Sterling 2 might aswell put mo Farah on if we want someone to run around a lot and produce nothing.

Rooney 9 first time I have thought he warranted his start for a good long time , instrumental.

Dier 9 best holding midfielder since the days of ince.

Alli 7 flashes of brilliance but didn't seem comfortable with the formation or role he was playing.

Lallana 6 got himself into some good positions and produced nothing . Two clear cut chances first and that wood work hit second half. Not good enough against a side like Russia.

Kane 5 looked lost. 0 shots on target says it all.

My take on last night for what it's worth.

Woy went too tactical , messing around with formations ,trying to fit his favourites in and awful subs. His decision to leave vardy out proves this, he clearly thinks he can only play on the counter attack, he didn't think Russia would attack us as they are absolutely rubbish. So left vardy out which was an awful decision.

He also chose to play a 4-5-1 when he had taken 6 strikers and one winger. The guy is a complete ****. He also plays Rooney out of position, who had a stormer, but it was a massive risk in a game that actually means something, why not try it in a friendly ?????

His subs were a farce and summed up by milners fault for their goal. The whole game reminded me of Brazil two years ago. Play one way through qualifying, play a different way and formation for the tournament . 3 wins in 11 tournament games is it ????? Play our way woy and let them worry about us.

I fear playing anyone else, they will look at last night which exploited all our weaknesses . We can't defend very well in general , but we can't defend set pieces and crosses at all. Someone like Croatia , Germany or Italy with a big lad up top will take us apart.

God help us against bales, they have a half decent manager who knows his teams strengths.

Ratings wise :

Hart 7 good save first half and kicking was actually good for a change.

Walker 8 great game hardly put a foot wrong.

Cahill 7 solid, but didn't really have much to do

Smalling 7 ditto

Rose 7 good going forward but gave to many fouls away due to him over playing in our half.

Sterling 2 might aswell put mo Farah on if we want someone to run around a lot and produce nothing.

Rooney 9 first time I have thought he warranted his start for a good long time , instrumental.

Dier 9 best holding midfielder since the days of ince.

Alli 7 flashes of brilliance but didn't seem comfortable with the formation or role he was playing.

Lallana 6 got himself into some good positions and produced nothing . Two clear cut chances first and that wood work hit second half. Not good enough against a side like Russia.

Kane 5 looked lost. 0 shots on target says it all.

Wales full of confidence next game will be harder than Russia with half its regular midfield missing and pensioners at the back still they have BALE WE HAVE ROONEY am realy looking forward to that potential defeat 😔

Wales' good result against Slovakia has made our getting out of the group far from certain. If Wales should hold us to a drawer(not unlikely) or God forbid defeat us on Thursday, we'll have a hell of a task to make the round of 16 and will be almost totally reliant on results in the other remaining matches to go completely our way. England hasn't won an opening game in the last 6 Euro tournaments, but the Wales victory yesterday has certainly made our task immensely harder!

It's getting tedious watching England, year after year. Nothing changes.

And this is the old folks' home, sorry Russia, we were playing, not one of the top ten teams. They were ponderous at the back and only had the tall lad up front. Nothing else. I thought it was Stockport with Francis in attack. The ONLY way they were ever going to score was off a high ball into the box. So predictable it was untrue.

What was Hart doing? Caught out of position and then goes walk about by the corner flag. Terrible judgment.

Kane was completely out of sorts and marked out of the game. Should have been subbed at half time.

We were never ever going to score enough goals with that line up.

Sterling is rubbish. We can all see that except the inept Woy.

Lallana did ok for half an hour but is another one who won't score enough goals.

Sturridge and Vardy should have been on.

Rooney is wasted in front of the back four but has lost his pace and past his best. The likes of Pogba and Payet are light years ahead of our midfield players - quick feet, skilful, go both ways, fast. We are too ponderous - back and square and back and square. We ought to play with a bit more intent and passion. It's like watching paint dry.

Why the hell is Kane taking corners? Is Hodgson thick or what? Can you imagine Greaves or Law or Shearer or Pele taking corners. Crazy.

We looked so decent a couple of months ago but I fear Woy has lost the plot.

With the players we have at our disposal we should be beating teams like Russia comfortably.

It's getting tedious watching England, year after year. Nothing changes.

And this is the old folks' home, sorry Russia, we were playing, not one of the top ten teams. They were ponderous at the back and only had the tall lad up front. Nothing else. I thought it was Stockport with Francis in attack. The ONLY way they were ever going to score was off a high ball into the box. So predictable it was untrue.

What was Hart doing? Caught out of position and then goes walk about by the corner flag. Terrible judgment.

Kane was completely out of sorts and marked out of the game. Should have been subbed at half time.

We were never ever going to score enough goals with that line up.

Sterling is rubbish. We can all see that except the inept Woy.

Lallana did ok for half an hour but is another one who won't score enough goals.

Sturridge and Vardy should have been on.

Rooney is wasted in front of the back four but has lost his pace and past his best. The likes of Pogba and Payet are light years ahead of our midfield players - quick feet, skilful, go both ways, fast. We are too ponderous - back and square and back and square. We ought to play with a bit more intent and passion. It's like watching paint dry.

Why the hell is Kane taking corners? Is Hodgson thick or what? Can you imagine Greaves or Law or Shearer or Pele taking corners. Crazy.

We looked so decent a couple of months ago but I fear Woy has lost the plot.

With the players we have at our disposal we should be beating teams like Russia comfortably.

They aren't one of the best sides at the tournament, sure, but Russia are a solid and organised team and won't be a pushover for anyone. Had England taken just a few of our many chances last night then we'd have won by a few goals and nobody would be able to say anything negative whatsoever, including yourself. All of the games so far have been tight and cagey, and as of yet England have given the best performance for me in terms of attacking football, particularly in the first half yesterday.

Rooney wasn't wasted at all. Absolutely drivel. He was excellent for the large part and dictated the game. I have no idea why Hodgson brought him off as he could thread a through ball on the break for us better than anyone else.

I will agree on the subs been woeful. Both Sturridge and Vardy would have had a field day on the last part of a game against Russia, and Hodgson needs his sack belted for not trying to kill off the game with the 2nd goal.

Kane also takes corners for Spurs when Eriksen isn't available, not that I agree with it at all. Kane is a decent enough header of the ball and should be in the box as much as possible. Surely Rooney is the man for the job?

To accommodate the expansion from a 16 team finals tournament to 24 teams, the format will be changed from that used in 2012 with the addition of two extra groups in the group stage, and an extra round in the knockout stages. The six groups (A to F) would still contain four teams each, with the top two from each group still going through to the knockout stage. In the new format however, the four best third-ranked sides would also progress, leaving 16 teams going into the new round of 16 knockout stage, ahead of the usual quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, and only 8 teams going out at the group stage

Thought only 2 went through, so should be safe.

To accommodate the expansion from a 16 team finals tournament to 24 teams, the format will be changed from that used in 2012 with the addition of two extra groups in the group stage, and an extra round in the knockout stages. The six groups (A to F) would still contain four teams each, with the top two from each group still going through to the knockout stage. In the new format however, the four best third-ranked sides would also progress, leaving 16 teams going into the new round of 16 knockout stage, ahead of the usual quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, and only 8 teams going out at the group stage.

To accommodate the expansion from a 16 team finals tournament to 24 teams, the format will be changed from that used in 2012 with the addition of two extra groups in the group stage, and an extra round in the knockout stages. The six groups (A to F) would still contain four teams each, with the top two from each group still going through to the knockout stage. In the new format however, the four best third-ranked sides would also progress, leaving 16 teams going into the new round of 16 knockout stage, ahead of the usual quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, and only 8 teams going out at the group stage.

England could be unbeaten and finish last, therefore eliminated.

If England draw their other 2 games (quite possible), then all it needs is Slovakia to beat a poor looking Russia side, then Wales who would already have qualified to relax a little and lose their last game to Russia - would give England 3 pts, all the others would have 4 each. Bye bye- home for Brex-fast time.

but.....

I must say though, that I don't see that scenario as at all likely, and a lot of what has been written above is nonsense. The fact is that although they are nowhere near good enough to win the competition, England will beat Wales comfortably. Evewn if Bale scores, I thinkl England will be good for 2 or 3 goals.

They were impressive for long periods against Russia, and it is ironic that they won all their friendlies prior to the tournament without playing very well, but then played pretty well against Russia and failed to win. I wouldn't say unlucky, but perhaps all that was missing was a killer instinct to wrap the game up when it was flowing England's way.

That's football, but I expect an unexpectedly easy win against Wales (who could well have someone red-carded), and at the very least avoiding defeat, but more probably beating Slovakia.

Archived