onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2016

As the Premier League thread seems to be going down the road of what squads people would chose for the Euro's I thought it deserved its own dedicated thread.

So what 23 would you take (English, Welsh, Irish or Northern Irish views welcome - sorry Scotland!)?

What stage do think think England will reach?

Who do you think will win it?

Will Woy be brave and will he still be in a job at the end of the tournament?

Advert

I think England will reach the quarters. Tricky to see us beating one of Europe's top 4 teams in a meaningful game, although we may be lucky with the draw and if one of the top teams falters. France must start as favourites, they appear to have very few weaknesses even without Benzema and home advantage does count for something as all England fans know!

Re.Woy, I hope he does play to our strengths which are now clearly going forward rather than defending (probably for the first time in my lifetime). I like how he has managed this transition to the new era of players (helped by the likes of Pochettino at club level as well) and I like how he conducts himself, so I hope he does stay on, although clearly he can't use the excuse of "these are another manager's players" or "we had the toughest group in the tournament" any more.

If the defenders get their heads on, there's no reason why we can't win it, although I think a semi final is a success and a quarter final the likelihood.

I think it's between:

England- reasons above

France- home advantage and a decent squad

Spain- good squad with a point to prove after the World CUp

Italy- Conte will have them playing

Germany- love a penalty shoot out and arguably the best squad

I wouldn't bet against any of them

I think Roy will be fine. He does need to make a couple of big calls but I think he's old & wise enough to get those right. I think he'll be here for the next WC, I just hope someone is focusing on his replacement as the candidate is far from obvious at present

England can do well. But it's vital that the likes of Kane and Alli are still right at it and aren't burnt out come the summer, along with our other key players. We're dodgy at the back but have a lot of exciting and pacey players going forward with a good blend. Sturridge, Kane and Vardy is a very tasty trio that no defense would like to be up against, and you can then add to that the likes of Sterling, Barkley and even Lallana who in fairness has been terrific for Liverpool of late.

I'd be happy if we can just make a quarter-final and play some positive football along the way. But although the Greek team that won the Euro's some years ago now were a real team and in it together, they certainly had more than the fair share of luck they needed and England most certainly have more quality and better individuals.

It's hard to look past Spain or Germany really but England are definitely in with a chance of surprising a few people, providing that Hodgson doesn't bottle it!

England can do well. But it's vital that the likes of Kane and Alli are still right at it and aren't burnt out come the summer, along with our other key players. We're dodgy at the back but have a lot of exciting and pacey players going forward with a good blend. Sturridge, Kane and Vardy is a very tasty trio that no defense would like to be up against, and you can then add to that the likes of Sterling, Barkley and even Lallana who in fairness has been terrific for Liverpool of late.

I'd be happy if we can just make a quarter-final and play some positive football along the way. But although the Greek team that won the Euro's some years ago now were a real team and in it together, they certainly had more than the fair share of luck they needed and England most certainly have more quality and better individuals.

It's hard to look past Spain or Germany really but England are definitely in with a chance of surprising a few people, providing that Hodgson doesn't bottle it!

I hope Sterling doesn't get anywhere near the plane, let alone the pitch. We have much better.

I concur with what's been said above and England can do well and even win it given the right breaks. I do hope Hodgson has a plan B and takes the like of Carroll as an impact sub 'cause during the World Cup when England needed a goal and couldn't get through the defenses of Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica on the ground we resorted to crosses into the box and had no striker with presence/quality in the air.

I concur with what's been said above and England can do well and even win it given the right breaks. I do hope Hodgson has a plan B and takes the like of Carroll as an impact sub 'cause during the World Cup when England needed a goal and couldn't get through the defenses of Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica on the ground we resorted to crosses into the box and had no striker with presence/quality in the air.

I don't think he should be taken just because he scored a hat-trick recently. Don't get me wrong, Carroll has his qualities and is a monster in the air but, depending on who he starts, I think defenders would be much more worried seeing Vardy or Sturridge run onto the pitch than Andy Carroll. I think we'll be fine with Kane, Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney and Welbeck.

As the Premier League thread seems to be going down the road of what squads people would chose for the Euro's I thought it deserved its own dedicated thread.

So what 23 would you take (English, Welsh, Irish or Northern Irish views welcome - sorry Scotland!)?

What stage do think think England will reach?

Who do you think will win it?

Will Woy be brave and will he still be in a job at the end of the tournament?

I wouldn't take any of the Irish players to be honest but Bale,Ramsey and Williams would be contenders from Wales.

I don't think he should be taken just because he scored a hat-trick recently. Don't get me wrong, Carroll has his qualities and is a monster in the air but, depending on who he starts, I think defenders would be much more worried seeing Vardy or Sturridge run onto the pitch than Andy Carroll. I think we'll be fine with Kane, Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney and Welbeck.

Not basing my view on him scoring a hat trick recently but what I saw at the last World Cup (I said before that tourney Carroll should go for the same Plan B reason, why Roy took Lambert I'll never know). Watching England need a goal and run out of ideas on the ground and start crossing the ball into the box with no aerial threat from the strikers was frustrating leaving Godin, Chiellini and whoever in the Costa Rica defense to clear at will without a serious, robust threat from an England player.

We should be a little careful building too much buzz around Vardy, most of his goals for Leicester have come on the counter and the better teams at the Euros will play cautiously and not throw too many players forward hence the chances to counter will be more limited.

Agree on Vardy. I think he'll be better suited as an impact sub unless you're playing against a side that are known to play with a high line. If Sturridge stays fit he has to be in the side for me alongside Kane as he can score a goal out of absolutely nothing which is what is needed in tight games against better opposition a lot of the time.

Not basing my view on him scoring a hat trick recently but what I saw at the last World Cup (I said before that tourney Carroll should go for the same Plan B reason, why Roy took Lambert I'll never know). Watching England need a goal and run out of ideas on the ground and start crossing the ball into the box with no aerial threat from the strikers was frustrating leaving Godin, Chiellini and whoever in the Costa Rica defense to clear at will without a serious, robust threat from an England player.

We should be a little careful building too much buzz around Vardy, most of his goals for Leicester have come on the counter and the better teams at the Euros will play cautiously and not throw too many players forward hence the chances to counter will be more limited.

Similarly, if we played Carroll they could simply cut out the crosses to nulify his threat.

Beechy/FUA, Agree but I have a slight doubt about Sturridge in that he didn't do the business or play well at the WC however if he does play off kane it may be a different story. What the current crop of forwards do for England is provide options.

I'd only take Carroll as an impact sub, it's nigh on impossible to stop all crosses coming into the box and if the opposition employs that tactic it usually frees up space between/behind the two banks of 4 or 5 which can be exploited.

Similarly, if we played Carroll they could simply cut out the crosses to nulify his threat.

With the pace of Walker and Rose it would be difficult to stop the crosses from the full backs and with Carroll they don't have to be the greatest of crosses..just loft it in there. I still think he'd get booked/sent off but who knows, he might have done the job by then.

He'd certainly give us an alternative if trying to play thru defences isn't working.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived