onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reminiscing........

The goalkeeping debate (Alnwick v Neal) threw up some wonderful names from the past and has prompted me, a rare scribe, to pen a few words. As was pointed out, the Enfield debacle (1984?) stiil gives me nightmares to match Canvey Island and Chasetown......but the banner to which one contributor refers (Who are Enfield?) I must lay claim to. I was living and teaching in Surrey at the time and followed Vale home and away (still do.....although from much nearer now!).....and got a few of my pupils to paint it for me! It was clearly in evidence in front of the tv cameras as was another of my banners in 1988 (White Hart Slain) at the Bycars End right behind where Sproey and Raymondo scored.....

But as I am now in reminiscent mode..........who can remember this for a story......?

The era must have been the same......mid 80's and the Vale were at home to Brentford, when Vale were awarded a direct free kick 25 yards from the Bycars End goal. I'm fairly certain that the Bees 'keeper was called Johnny Francis, and from Chunky Bailey's resultant shot at goal the ball flew high over the bar and into the crowd......

If you are still awake.......this is where it gets amusing and interesting.......

I caught the ball cleanly......put it under my coat.....and disappeared from the ground and back to my car, taking the match ball with me!!

I took the match ball back home to Surrey and used the ball at my school in footie sessions.........it was only the following week when I returned to the Potteries that I discovered that this had grown into a huge story in the Sentinel......a front page appeal for the return of the match ball!! The manager was duly pictured with a forlorn face and pleading for it's return along with a stern threat fom Staffs' finest! There was a Sentinel petition to find the perpetrator of this heinious crime........

By the following weekend i was beginning to feel hot under the collar and so on my weekly visit to the Potteries I deposited the ball on the steps of the old Sentinel office in Hanley.......conscience cleared.......but I couldn't believe what a storm I had created locally.......

Anyone remember the broo ha ha?

In the same goalkeeping thread, the name Stuart Sharratt was mentioned.......my hero of the late 60's......and in later life, I taught his son. I bumped into Stuart on that magnificent day at Wycombe 3 years ago, and although not in the best of health, he is living by the river in Richmond, and still follows all our results.

Up The Vale!!

Advert

The goalkeeping debate (Alnwick v Neal) threw up some wonderful names from the past and has prompted me, a rare scribe, to pen a few words. As was pointed out, the Enfield debacle (1984?) stiil gives me nightmares to match Canvey Island and Chasetown......but the banner to which one contributor refers (Who are Enfield?) I must lay claim to. I was living and teaching in Surrey at the time and followed Vale home and away (still do.....although from much nearer now!).....and got a few of my pupils to paint it for me! It was clearly in evidence in front of the tv cameras as was another of my banners in 1988 (White Hart Slain) at the Bycars End right behind where Sproey and Raymondo scored.....

But as I am now in reminiscent mode..........who can remember this for a story......?

The era must have been the same......mid 80's and the Vale were at home to Brentford, when Vale were awarded a direct free kick 25 yards from the Bycars End goal. I'm fairly certain that the Bees 'keeper was called Johnny Francis, and from Chunky Bailey's resultant shot at goal the ball flew high over the bar and into the crowd......

If you are still awake.......this is where it gets amusing and interesting.......

I caught the ball cleanly......put it under my coat.....and disappeared from the ground and back to my car, taking the match ball with me!!

I took the match ball back home to Surrey and used the ball at my school in footie sessions.........it was only the following week when I returned to the Potteries that I discovered that this had grown into a huge story in the Sentinel......a front page appeal for the return of the match ball!! The manager was duly pictured with a forlorn face and pleading for it's return along with a stern threat fom Staffs' finest! There was a Sentinel petition to find the perpetrator of this heinious crime........

By the following weekend i was beginning to feel hot under the collar and so on my weekly visit to the Potteries I deposited the ball on the steps of the old Sentinel office in Hanley.......conscience cleared.......but I couldn't believe what a storm I had created locally.......

Anyone remember the broo ha ha?

In the same goalkeeping thread, the name Stuart Sharratt was mentioned.......my hero of the late 60's......and in later life, I taught his son. I bumped into Stuart on that magnificent day at Wycombe 3 years ago, and although not in the best of health, he is living by the river in Richmond, and still follows all our results.

Up The Vale!!

For clarification please: I can't remember a Chunky Bailey - Mid 80s? :unsure:

1974-78.

Those were the days when we used to sign good players from Stafford Rangers, who were then the best non-league team in the country.

Bailey, Cullerton, Williams.

The Williams-Woodward forward pairing was a favourite of mine. Those two played really well together. More memories...

Archived