Goalkeeping at vale park

Row L

I have seen some very very good goal keeping at vale park over the years from both ours and opposition goalkeepers. This season though I have seen two world class saves, Alnwicks save against sheff United and reice-charles for Coventry yesterday. Both incredible skill.

So, are these the best saves you have ever seen or can you remember better?

The most memorable save I have seen at Vale Park was by Frank Swift. A Port Vale forward was through one on one with Frank. He took the ball round Frank and was about to slide the ball into an empty net. Frank did a backward flip, grabbed the ball with both hands and then somehow managed a reverse flip to land back on his feet with the ball in his hands. The Vale player was left completely mesmerised.

Frank retired in 1945 and was killed in the Munich Air disaster on the 6th February 1958.

Does anyone out there remember the match. It must have been after his retirement and I would imagine it must have been a Freddie "Nobby" Steele All Stars eleven.

According to Wikipedia:- On 29 March 1954, the Vale team played an "All-Star XI" in order to raise money for former Port Vale playing staff who had given long service to the club. The All-Star team was as follows: Frank Swift, Bert Sproston, Andy Beattie, Bill Corkhill, Les McDowall, Joe Mercer, Sammy Crooks, Raich Carter, Freddie Steele, Tim Ward and Peter Doherty; the All-Stars won 2–1 with both goals coming from Steele, making the club's manager the first player to score two goals against the Vale in one match that season."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Swift

Vale v Sheffield United, about 1996. Late on in the game, the ball gets crossed in, header from about 6 yards, Musselwhite looks as though he's rooted to the spot but then out of nowhere claws the ball out of the top corner of the goal.

Both him and Alan Kelly in the other goal were MOTM. Probably the best 0-0 draw I can remember watching.

Vale v Sheffield United, about 1996. Late on in the game, the ball gets crossed in, header from about 6 yards, Musselwhite looks as though he's rooted to the spot but then out of nowhere claws the ball out of the top corner of the goal.

Both him and Alan Kelly in the other goal were MOTM. Probably the best 0-0 draw I can remember watching.

That must be the same one I was thinking of.

The most memorable save I have seen at Vale Park was by Frank Swift. A Port Vale forward was through one on one with Frank. He took the ball round Frank and was about to slide the ball into an empty net. Frank did a backward flip, grabbed the ball with both hands and then somehow managed a reverse flip to land back on his feet with the ball in his hands. The Vale player was left completely mesmerised.

Frank retired in 1945 and was killed in the Munich Air disaster on the 6th February 1958.

Does anyone out there remember the match. It must have been after his retirement and I would imagine it must have been a Freddie "Nobby" Steele All Stars eleven.

According to Wikipedia:- On 29 March 1954, the Vale team played an "All-Star XI" in order to raise money for former Port Vale playing staff who had given long service to the club. The All-Star team was as follows: Frank Swift, Bert Sproston, Andy Beattie, Bill Corkhill, Les McDowall, Joe Mercer, Sammy Crooks, Raich Carter, Freddie Steele, Tim Ward and Peter Doherty; the All-Stars won 2–1 with both goals coming from Steele, making the club's manager the first player to score two goals against the Vale in one match that season."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Swift

A vague memory of the game, Frank was a fantastic goalie, massive hands and could easily pick the ball up one -handed. As a boy I made a rare trip to the Vic just to see him. Wiki not quite correct, of the 5 goals conceded at home that season, Chesterfield scored 2.

(Edit: My mistake I read it as team, so Wiki correct)

Archived