onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adam yates

panhead

but it's being too nice that I feel will be Page's ultimate downfall.

Not necessarily his downfall, but it may hold us back from progressing further.

I really want Rob Page to succeed, I'm sure he will be a very decent manager and I think he's done a decent job so far.

Advert

You are clearly wrong! I would suggest that u have seen 99% of games for the last 10 years and more than most on this site. I just happen to disagree with you. You clearly don't know an honest and committed player!

This is the difference you see. I would be honest and committed but it doesn't mean I should be anywhere near the first team!

Not necessarily his downfall, but it may hold us back from progressing further.

I really want Rob Page to succeed, I'm sure he will be a very decent manager and I think he's done a decent job so far.

I hope so too but it just seems to me that there isn't that 'distance' that you require between a boss and his players. Have a laugh by all means, but ultimately remember who is the boss.

Let's face it this whole debate comes up time and time again and always will. Somebody in the squad is always going to fall to being classed as 'our worst player'. Someone has to fill that void and I would say in regards to the seasoned pros I doubt anyone could argue that the likes of Birchall and Yates fall into this category. As a club what Page needs to be doing is seeing how we can possibly strengthen these departments. In the past it seems like we tried to bring in more young players to filter into the first team. Usually Premiership and Championship off casts that either did or didn't make it. It's a gamble because for every one that makes it (Cummins, Brooker, Pilkington,) there are probably 4 that don't (Boyd, James, Deen-Conteh). Would we rather be steady and make sure we have someone in the squad who may be the 'worst player' but at least he can do a job? That's what the manager's paid for to get this balance right.

In the defence department I think it's more crucial to have experience back up whereas further up the pitch I think there is a little more licence to experiment and take gambles. In the summer the squad needs a mini shake up to try and continue bringing in young fresh faces whilst ensuring our back up can 'do a job'. Yates can do a job for a cheap wage. McGivern can do a job for a cheap wage. Birchall probably not at this level and I still say Dodds doesn't have enough decent games to justify continued contracts. But that's just my opinion.

I have been talking (via email) to a Wigan supporting colleague and he said...

It [the victory] was well deserved although I did think the first 15 mins were even and Vale played some good football. Once you went down to 10 men, it was damage limitation but we found it hard to break you down after then.

When I told him about the grief Yates was getting on here he said...

re right back - Wildschut has done that to a lot of right backs this season so there is no blame attached to my mind, he is extremely quick and we have found that teams double up on him as damage limitation. he can sometimes be a headless chicken with no end product, but he is the fastest player I have seen at Wigan for some time, inc Valencia, Teale, Roberts, Camara et all

That's the beauty of football - it's all about opinions. I really don't think that he is as bad as some people make out. I would prefer perkiss in there personally, but am convinced that Yates can do a good job for us and that right back would not be the position that I would be spending money on (if we had any!)

The performance from Purkiss tonight was excellent - how Adam Yates has ever got in, in front of Purkey is beyond me.

Yates should never grace the pitch ahead of a fit Purkiss. He had an excellent game tonight.

He got in front of Purkiss because Purkey played poorly at Millwall.

Archived