onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sat 23rd Jan 2016, Port Vale v Bradford City, pre-match comments, the match itself

Fosse69

Bradford have just made a very odd transfer move. They have brought in six foot three Jamie Proctor from Fleetwood and sold Devante Cole (Vale nemesis) to them in return.

The reaction from both sides is bemusement. The Fleetwood fans didn't rate Proctor that much (bright start but faded seemed to be the view) while Bradford fans are surprised Cole has been sold (rumours of it's because of a bad attitude).

However, I guess the bottom line for us is with a big, hulking striker, Bradford are probably going go more direct and for set-pieces (which isn't ideal for our defence).

They are probably getting nervous if hanson is injured, they need someone to hoof balls to so brought in Proctor.

Advert

Keeping the back 4 the same after conceding 3 would be foolish in my opinion. We don't want to change it too drastically but a change should happen. Personally I'd bring inniss for Dicko and move Mcgivern to left back but inniss for Duffy is another option. As someone mentioned page seems inconsistent in his policies. As soon as streete made a mistake he was out but the others get more chance. bradford are a hoof ball team and if hanson is playing we could do with Inniss.

He got dropped mainly because most of the goals we were conceding from corners were from the player he was supposed to be marking. His defending in open play is generally very good, but he is far from the finished article. He'd probably benefit from half a year in division 2 or top end of the conference.

Normally think you talk a bit of sense but think you are talking rubbish about McGivern. Since he came back into the team, for me he has probably been our most consistent player these last 2 months, he has been better than Duffy and certainly Streete when he has played.

I thought McGivern was awful last season and didn't think he would be near the team this season, he has proved me wrong with some very good performances.

Innis should come back in for me but at the expense of Duffy who was excellent the early part of the season, however feel McGivern been playing better.

Spot on mate. I know there are a lot of Duffy fans out there but frankly I have felt lately he is dropping back to his old, dithering ways and McGivern has been the most consistent of the two. However RP will allow Duffy several below par performances before he changes his selection, which is not inkeeping with his attitude towards others who play and may have a bad game or two. This is what frustrates me greatly about RP, his

inability to show consistency for ALL squad members.

Innes will be on the bench, more or less guarantee you that. This is after we shipped in 3 goals with a dreadfully below par performance last week from the back four. I'll never get my head around RP's decisions!!!

Normally think you talk a bit of sense but think you are talking rubbish about McGivern. Since he came back into the team, for me he has probably been our most consistent player these last 2 months, he has been better than Duffy and certainly Streete when he has played.

I thought McGivern was awful last season and didn't think he would be near the team this season, he has proved me wrong with some very good performances.

Innis should come back in for me but at the expense of Duffy who was excellent the early part of the season, however feel McGivern been playing better.

Valiant 593 is right, you aren't. Mcgivern is constantly launching the ball forward to a 5ft dwarf. He gives possession back to the opposition all the time, some have suggested that maybe page has had some influence in him "keeping it simple" however having seen him kick the ball out for a goal kick from his own half four times this season I can't wait to have a inniss or streete back in the side.

He got dropped mainly because most of the goals we were conceding from corners were from the player he was supposed to be marking. His defending in open play is generally very good, but he is far from the finished article. He'd probably benefit from half a year in division 2 or top end of the conference.

I understand that he isn't the finished article but I think Page dropped him a lot quicker than he has done when other players make mistakes. I think Streete is the sort of player that when he isn't getting played his confidence goes down and I think now Innis is back he will be lucky to get on the bench so a loan would be good to get him some confidence back although I think it should be above conference level. I see some potential in streete so hopefully he can get that loan to get his confidence up and get match fit again.

Spot on mate. I know there are a lot of Duffy fans out there but frankly I have felt lately he is dropping back to his old, dithering ways and McGivern has been the most consistent of the two. However RP will allow Duffy several below par performances before he changes his selection, which is not inkeeping with his attitude towards others who play and may have a bad game or two. This is what frustrates me greatly about RP, his

inability to show consistency for ALL squad members.

Innes will be on the bench, more or less guarantee you that. This is after we shipped in 3 goals with a dreadfully below par performance last week from the back four. I'll never get my head around RP's decisions!!!

I take it you were there and inniss was at fault for all three goals ? I can't get my head around people who don't want quality like inniss in the side , can't wait to bash page and think mcgivern is our best defender.

I take it you were there and inniss was at fault for all three goals ? I can't get my head around people who don't want quality like inniss in the side , can't wait to bash page and think mcgivern is our best defender.

What you on about?? I am an Innis fan and want him in the team! You suggesting Innis was playing last week? He didn't mate, think you are talking at cross purposes and not identifying what I am saying.

My point is that Duffy should not be guaranteed a place when McGivern has been the more consistent defender. RP has shown previously that a bad game by McGivern and he's dropped, but he appears not to have the same criteria for Duffy. I am not slating Duffy, just making a point. I know I may be in the minority in feeling Innis and McGivern ought to be given a chance as opposed to the apparently bullet proof Duffy! all about opinions init?

What you on about?? I am an Innis fan and want him in the team! You suggesting Innis was playing last week? He didn't mate, think you are talking at cross purposes and not identifying what I am saying.

My point is that Duffy should not be guaranteed a place when McGivern has been the more consistent defender. RP has shown previously that a bad game by McGivern and he's dropped, but he appears not to have the same criteria for Duffy. I am not slating Duffy, just making a point. I know I may be in the minority in feeling Innis and McGivern ought to be given a chance as opposed to the apparently bullet proof Duffy! all about opinions init?

Well said, Duffy was excellent the first 3 months of the season but for a number of weeks now McGivern has been more the consistent defender and would be hard to drop him, Innis has to play so as for me Duffy on the bench.

All this talk of dropping Duffy/McGivern is puzzling after Millwall. My main concern would be the fullbacks who were both nothing short of dreadful. After last Sunday if Duffy or McGivern deserved to be dropped, Dickinson and Purkiss don't deserve to be anywhere near the squad.

All this talk of dropping Duffy/McGivern is puzzling after Millwall. My main concern would be the fullbacks who were both nothing short of dreadful. After last Sunday if Duffy or McGivern deserved to be dropped, Dickinson and Purkiss don't deserve to be anywhere near the squad.

Personally I would drop Dicko and Duffy, move Mcgivern to left back and bring Streete in. The only reason I would keep Purkiss in is because im not the biggest fan of Yates.

No I agree, I just made my point bluntly, if you look on page one youll see Mcgivern is in my side. But I would move him to left back and drop dickinson. Personally I think both Streete and Inniss are quality and should be starting after Duffys performance at the weekend.

I dont like Mcgivern at centre half I never have and never will, probably because of some of the horror shows I have seen. I also dont like the fact that we have probably the smallest striker in the league up top and Mcgivern always just hoofs it down.

I think he should start at left back (Ive always preferred him there) and drop Dicko whos been poor for weeks.

Regardless of who plays at the back, I just hope that Page picks JJ and we have a go at Bradford from the first whistle, we always seem to start the game very slow.

Bradford in recent games seemed to be struggling, Bury with 10 men for 80 minutes won on penalties, only just beat an Oldham team who played with 10 men for 70 minutes and lost heavily to Gillingham and Sheffield. Their fans not happy with how they are playing lately, we need to get at them early.

I understand that he isn't the finished article but I think Page dropped him a lot quicker than he has done when other players make mistakes. I think Streete is the sort of player that when he isn't getting played his confidence goes down and I think now Innis is back he will be lucky to get on the bench so a loan would be good to get him some confidence back although I think it should be above conference level. I see some potential in streete so hopefully he can get that loan to get his confidence up and get match fit again.

Watch the extended highlights of the games the run of games when we conceded from all the corners and the two culprits for losing their men were Purkiss and Streete. Page warned the players a number of times, without mentioning names, that he would have to make changes if it didn't improve. Yates would track a player but would be no more use than Purkiss as he's so short. Ultimately marking someone at corners is part of a centrebacks job description. I don't know if he was brought up playing zonal defending as he seems to be over focused on the ball (normally he went chasing it) rather than the player he was marking.

In terms of making a change at the back. Firstly I think Inniss is the best defender at the club. However we are looking at changing a back 4 which had only conceded one in the 3 previous games and the Coventry strike was pretty good and not really the fault of the back 4 as a unit. I felt that the long break between games didn't really help and could have been part of the reason why they didn't really come out of the starting blocks well - if matches were being postponed for waterlogged pitches then the training pitches must have been less than useless. I can fully see the logic of keeping the same back 4, as up until Millwall they had played well as a unit for a number of games and keeping Inniss on the bench.

Archived